Polis Questions

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Polis Questions

Postby Prince Nymph King » Thu May 18, 2006 10:04 pm

Installed the CD last week and am having a blast. I got on the forum link and noted and installed the updates. They addressed the biggest issues that I noticed while playing: adding a steelhead site, easier fly selection.

As an avid Lake Erie tribs steelheader, I had a couple of questions/comments on the Polis site.
Did you add the update to add background sound effects yet?
When fishing the main river, opening screen, is there a greater chance of getting steelhead strikes with longer or shorter casts? My own real-world experience is that eliminating drag is critical for dead-drift fishing techniques. I frequently use casts short enough that I have no line touching the water (rod tip held high). I just wondered if I would get penalized with fewer strikes for short casts when there are no obvious holding areas.
I suspect that they are not used widely on Mich. steelhead waters, but the vast majority of my fish are caught on a bead-head sucker spawn pattern that I tie (chartreuse or white are the primary colors). Thought I would offer that as a possible fly addition
I would have preferred that at least one of the trib. sections faced upstream. I try to fish upstream when possible, to get a better hook-set when a steelie hits.
Prince Nymph King

Postby kerrye » Fri May 19, 2006 3:05 am

PNK. I have had a lot of hits close in on the opening screen on Polis. I don't think you will be penalized for short casts. Also, log in as big cheater and use the 1, 2, and 3 keys to check the streambed configuration and current flows. Fishing the Polis in big cheater may make you wish you had something stouter than 0X tippet available. :lol:
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Return to Real World Fly Fishing