bug in sheboygan river

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

bug in sheboygan river

Postby jcroc36 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi Paul
Please Help. I have discovered fishing the Sheboygan River, i caught a big steelie, i got it in so far then it took a lot of line, then started to jump and this happened for about 5 minutes, i slackened the line and the fish kept jumping. i can not complete the challenge as this is happening every time i fish this river now.

Please Help :(
jcroc36

Postby paul » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Hey, Jcroc!

Make sure you've got the 114 update. It changes the way fish fight a bit, and should keep them from getting stuck in that endless jump.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

same here

Postby William Feltham » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:02 pm

hi paul and jcroc36 same thing happened to me so i went to the next site and landed a steelhead with no problem try it.
William Feltham

hi

Postby jcroc36 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi Paul

Have upgraded before i started the challenge and also have tried what William advised of.

Still the same sorry :(
jcroc36

Postby dcarp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:36 pm

I did experience the same issue once during the last contest, but I intentionally broke off (since we were fishin for babies). I installed the latest update as soon as it was available. It was similar to the prior issue, only the fish didn't swim a half mile up or down stream before it started the continuous jumping.

In my experience, before the latest update, the fish would head way upstream, way downstream, or to the far bank of the river, then start it's continuous jumping. In a couple instances, you could wait it out, try applying rod pressure from different angles (far left or far right), drop the rod tip to parallel to the water, etc... and eventually it would stop (20 minutes +), then continue to fight the fish.

I'm not a programmer, so I may just be blowing smoke here, but I'd say that the issue may have something to do with that "point" where the fish begins to wear down a bit and the fisherman starts gaining ground. It just seems to get stuck at that spot where the ballance of control shifts from fish to fisherman. I'm assuming that somewhere in the programming, depending on size of fish, size of tackle, etc. etc. there is this turning point.

It aslo seemed to happen most often when using very light tackle - like the previous contest with 1.5x leader. The few times it happened to me (besides the previous contest) I was using a 6 weight or lighter rod and 5x or lighter leader and hooked into a fish on the high end (24 inch +)

Like I've said before, it almost seemed to be a "feature", rather than a bug. If you go after the big fish with light tackle, you may have some memoral fights, but end up empty handed. Personally (in real life) I like to have a fair fight with a big fish, but don't necessarily want to wear them down to the point of exhaustion. Here out west we release all "Wild" or "Native" fish and can only keep Hatchery rasied steelhead and salmon. You generally don't know what you've hooked into until they're at your feet.

I guess what I'm suggesting here is that in the game, it should be difficult to land a big fish on light tackle, with lots of hook slips and broken leaders. That's how it works out in the real world. Been trout fishin a few times in steelhead waters with my 5 weight and hooked a steelie that headed for deep water, spooled me fast and express mailed me my fly line back and kept the fly.

Just my two cents.

Dave
dcarp

Postby dcarp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:51 am

Paul,

Just a quick update here. I did hook two fish yesterday that went into the endless jump. One on the Polis and one on the Sheyboygen. I was using an 8 wt. rod, with 7 lb. leader on both. Tried to wait them out, but gave up on both after about 20-30 minutes.

Dave
dcarp

Postby dcarp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:10 am

FYI,

Was just able to get around the endless jump by pausing and tightening the drag up to the "S" on Line Tension. It was a 34" steelhead on the Polis, using and 8 wt., 9lb. leader.

Dave
dcarp

Return to Real World Fly Fishing