Not ready for prime-time, but...

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Not ready for prime-time, but...

Postby paul » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:49 am

If you want to swing a fly rod around, you can give this build a try: http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_fly_fishing_beta.zip

Please send comments to me directly at paul@pishtech.com.

I strongly suggest you make a copy of your whole game folder, then unzip this folder into it. Then try fly fishing. Buy a fly rod in the shop, and you'll still have to own at least one lure to start a fishing trip. Maple Valley Creek is there with fly fishing in mind. For now please use only "Paul" as your character when fly fishing.

Note that while walking in this build there's no switching between "walk" and "fish". You can walk while casting, fighting a fish, etc. In time I'll add the ability to "strafe" (step sideways) and support the standard WASD keys used in most first person games. Roll the mouse wheel to let out line (I'll add a non-wheel option in the future), hold down the left button to reel in. You'll notice a lot of things that aren't finished or aren't quite right. Some are little (the fly line is yellow, except on the reel where its blue) and some are bigger (there's no animation for reeling in line), etc. You can at least get a feel for the casting, etc. You can fly fish on foot or from a boat.

In a number of ways the casting is more realistic than in RWFF or with conventional tackle in VRS. The rod flexes with the stroke, loads and unloads, and double-hauling is automatic. The range of motion for the rod forward and backward is automatically limited to an effective range while you're casting so you don't have to worry about bringing the forward stroke too far down. Once the fly settles on the water the rod will lower further and you'll have a fuller range of motion during the drift. I think it feels natural and certainly makes the casting easier.

For new fly anglers, keep in mind that good casting isn't just backward, forward, repeat. It's a forward stroke, a brief pause as the line unrolls, then the backward stroke, another brief pause, then repeat. The ideal length of those pauses depends on the amount of line you have out and the speed of your stroke.

Right now there's no choice of rod weight or tippet strength. Think of the tippet as about 4 pound test. I just landed a five pound brown trout, so it can be done, but even a small fish can break that leader if you aren't careful.

Tight lines (but not too tight),

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Not ready for prime-time, but...

Postby Pitti » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Paul,

[quoteFor now please use only "Paul" as your character when fly fishing][/quote]

Is there a cheat to get money for buying the flyrod?

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Yes there is, but just to be clear "Paul" doesn't need to be your player name - that can be anything including "Rich Wealthy" which gives you lots of money. In the game preferences where you select what your person looks like you should use "Paul" though, because that's the only character who has the animation sequences for walking while casting.

As for the cheat to just get more money, hold down C, H and M while you click "Visit Bait Shop" and you'll be rich.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby reelfish074 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm

I got this error:

Failed to load sheet1x1.x
Couldn't load model file:
water_surface_v2.x
reelfish074

Postby reelfish074 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

nevermind, I got it working.. it turns out I put it in the wrong place :oops: :oops:

I am having trouble casting right now, I will figure it out though.
reelfish074

Postby reelfish074 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:04 pm

caught a few brown trout right just now.

TIP: Don't even bother to try fly fishing in the wind >.>
reelfish074

Postby dan94 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:17 am

Just a question paul how many different rod weights did you plan on putting in??

Cheers Dan94
dan94

Postby Anguis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:14 pm

After several attempts at different times of the day, I have yet to see any fish in the creek. Has anyone else run into this?
Someday, we'll get back to Yellowstone. . .
Anguis

Postby reelfish074 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Do you have the best sunglasses? If so, go on a sunny day with no wind at all and turn off water effects. Also playing in easier modes clears up the water a bit.
reelfish074

Return to VR Sportfishing