Custom Fly Question

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Custom Fly Question

Postby dcarp » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:23 pm

Got a question for you folks that do a lot of your own custom flies. I've taken a picture of a Classic Atlantic that I tied (in the real world) and done some editing of the size and background stuff to match a fly in the game. I also edited the ".def" file to get the proper sizes, characteristics, etc.

My question is this: Will the dang thing catch fish as it is, or is there some "magic" behind the scene stuff that makes a fly actually work? Or, to put it another way..... Does a fly have to be "tied" in the game to work properly?

FYI - the files are here if interested:

http://www.wvi.com/images/Daves1classic.zip

Thanks,

Dave
dcarp

Postby Pitti » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:39 am

Hello Dave :)

Paul is the only who know this.

My thought about it: Do not think to much about it. It's a game.
I think, the parameter "floating", "sink rate", "typ" and "size" are the main criteria, how the fly will work and catch. Perhaps the magic "rvc" parameter will effect it? We don't know it.

Your fly looks beautiful! Maybe a little bit too beautiful? I like it more, if the fly is really combined of single materials at the tying part of the game. But that's a matter of taste. I feel the import of whole fly-pics a little bit as cheating. Do you understand what I mean?
But again, it's a matter of taste.

Btw: I thougth about future flytying-competitions. But contrive the rules would be not easy. Import whole flies would be unusable for contests. Anyway, I like the idea. We could put the winner flies into the club showroom. :) But I don't know how many guys would participate such competition. What do you think, folks?

We will see..

Best Regards
Pitti
Last edited by Pitti on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitti

Postby dcarp » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Hello Pitti,

Thank you for your reply. I see your point about using edited photos of real flies. It is a game and the flies should probably be created within the game.

Dave
dcarp

Return to Real World Fly Fishing