Game freezes when I click on 2 new outings

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Game freezes when I click on 2 new outings

Postby oldclapper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 am

Hello from Anglesy, North Wales! I recently downloaded 2 new outings, Salmon River Nr Stanley Idaho and SW Appoquinimuck River Delaware.
When I try to play these outings the game freezes at the loading screen.
I am running software V:128 B90716 on a quad core Pentium pc with Windows 7 32 bit.
All other outings run OK.
Any idea what the problem is and is there a solution?
Thanks, Ron
oldclapper

Re: Game freezes when I click on 2 new outings

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Oldclapper:

A big welcome to RWFF and our Forums! Sounds like some missing fish, food or sound files is causing your RWFF program to hang. There have been various thread on the Support Forum on this very subject and you can have a look at the various posts here.

This thread might be of help and interest to you: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3550

To use the Custom outings you need to download all the latest fish, food and sound files which are available for download at the RWFF Club House.

Please come back and let us know if your problems are resolved. :P Good luck!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby oldclapper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Stanley, I thought that might be the case, so I started updating and accidently started putting things in the wrong folders, then I moved an important dll file and had to restore RWFF back to yesterday!
So Unless there is an easy way I can identify which flies, food or species I am missing I think I'll stick with what I've got!
Cannot any updates required be put in a readme file?
I'm too old!!!!
Regards
Ron
oldclapper

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi Ron:

There is an easy way to identify which files are missing and causing all the problems. In RWFF V.128 there is a file verification feature built in. When you first start the program you allow the File Verification to run fully without intervention on your part,( e.g. pushing the Space Bar to cancel the verification), then if any errors are found it will show up in a screen and you can then tell what files are missing, etc.

Also in the main RWFF program folder there are two files which keep a record of any errors in your RWFF install. They are "error.txt" and the "content_error.txt". You can open those up and see which files (food, sound, fish) are missing and causing your problems.

You are missing a lot of fun if you don't install all the necessary files (fish, food, sound) and use the Custom outings. It takes a while to get everything downloaded and put into their proper folders but once done, you will be able to travel to, and fish all the exotic fishing destinations in the world from the comfort of your own armchair. I think it is worthwhile to do it even though it takes a long time and it is a pain! :lol:

If your would post your content_error.txt on the forum we can trouble shoot your RWFF install from there! Just open the error file and copy and paste the content and put them into your post. Please come back if you need additional help. We are always around and we want to get everyone fishing as quickly as possible:P

Regards,

Stanley

PS. We are no young spring chicks either :lol: Never too old to go fishing!!
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby oldclapper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Stanley, I left the file checker to run and there was indeed a list of missing files and errors, however when I go looking for the content_errors.txt file its not there! I've searched my machine and its not hiding elsewhere, so something strange is happening! I'll try taking a screen print as the file just disapperas if I try to click on it and it also disappears and loads the RWFF start screen after a few seconds! :x
oldclapper

Postby oldclapper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Stanley
Here is the gif file for the content_erros screen print. It doesn't include the whole list, but at least its a start!
Ron
Attachments
content_error.gif
See post
content_error.gif (33.44 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
oldclapper

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi Ron:

It is odd that you don't have the content_errors.txt in your main RWFF folder. At lease now we have a glimpse of what went wrong with your outing install. Next time you run the File Verification and when the error text showed up, push PrtScn and save the file, then open your MSPaint and click Ctrl+V to paste the file. Upload the file here then we will be able to see more of the errors.

Looking at the partial error file you sent the StoneflyNymph2 is missing from your food files. You can download the entire up-to-date food file by going to the RWFF Club House, find the Food file on the left hand side of the menu. Download the complete food file, then unzip it and open it until you can see the individual files within. Then copy and paste the entire content into your RWFF main "Food" folder. When asked whether to overwrite the old existing files, click "Yes". You will now have the most up- to- date Food files which should include the missing StoneflyNymph2.

I have mentioned this before in various threads.... with the food, sound and fish files you download, unzip and then EXPAND the folders so you can see the individual items. Then you copy and paste those individual files into their respective folders in the main RWFF folder. e.g. Fish to Fish, Food to Food, Sound to Sound,etc. Note: If you don't expand these folders and do the copy and paste, you will end up with a folder within a folder (we call this a Nested Folder) which will not work!

We do the "custom outings" folders a little differently. Here you will download the file, unzip it, and then copy and paste the entire "unopened" folder into the RWFF Outing folder. That's it. No need to expand this folder before copy and pasting.

Give this a try and see if it helps. Good luck and come back if you run into any more problems. Always glad to help! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley

Here is my RWFF folder with the error.txt circled in orange.

Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby oldclapper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

OK Stanley, I'm working on it!! That is exactly how I did the print screen but it will only show the actual screen.
I have managed to correctly update the food files and I did have a nested folder.
So the next bit to work on is fish!
I have a folder called fish and also a folder called new fish, inside the fish folder there are sub folders for each different fish. Is this correct?
So which fish file do I download?
Thanks for you help Stanley it is much appreciated.
Regards
Ron

Feeling very old!
oldclapper

Postby oldclapper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Stanley, I do have the errors.txt file and it contains the following

wm_destroy
mbq

This file is dated 22/03/2010

Regards

Ron
oldclapper

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Ron:

Looks like we are getting there! :P There should not be any folders within folders. Open your FISH folder, expand any unopened folders within it and copy and paste the folder's contents into the main Fish folder, then delete the empty folder. e.g. Open your "new fish" folder, copy and paste the visible fish files into your main RWFF fish folder, then delete the empty "new fish" folder... do this for all folders that you find within the main fish folder. You will be ok!

In order to be able to fish all the custom outings, you will need to download ALL the available fishing zip files and install them into your main "Fish" folder. This is a lengthy process but worthwhile to do.

After you do the fish, download the all inclusive sound folder and open it up, copy and paste all the individual files into your "Sound" folder in the RWFF main folder. That's it, and you are done and will be able to do your fishing error free! :lol:

Not sure what the error txt mean. Paul might know something about that one. The important one to look at is the content_errors.txt, which tells you why the program cannot open and what is missing.

Give this a try and let us know if it works for you. Again, Good luck and never ever feel too old to have some fun! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley

PS. You will like the Salmon River outing. My son sent me those pictures while on his fishing trip to Idaho and Montana and I made them into this outing. Great scenes and trout fishing. Enjoy!!
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby oldclapper » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Stanley, I down loaded all the fish files and at last the content errors report runs

content_errors.txt
Errors were found in outing, fish or food files:

Can't open def file for outing s01
Can't open def file for outing s02
Can't open def file for outing s03
Can't open def file for outing s04
Can't open def file for outing s05
Can't open def file for outing s06
Can't open def file for outing s07
Can't open def file for outing s08
Can't open def file for outing s09
Can't open def file for outing s10
Can't open def file for outing s11
Can't open def file for outing s12
Can't open def file for outing s13
Can't open def file for outing s14
Can't open def file for outing s15
Can't open def file for outing s16
Can't open def file for outing s17
Can't open def file for outing s18
Can't open def file for outing s19
Can't open def file for outing s20
Can't open def file for outing s21
Can't open def file for outing s22
Can't open def file for outing s23
Can't open food def file food\food\food.def.
Site site01 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho includes fish Mountain Whitefish which can't be loaded.
Error loading fish.def for site site01 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Couldn't load definition for site site01 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Site site02 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho includes fish Mountain Whitefish which can't be loaded.
Error loading fish.def for site site02 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Couldn't load definition for site site02 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Site site03 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho includes fish Mountain Whitefish which can't be loaded.
Error loading fish.def for site site03 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Couldn't load definition for site site03 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Site site04 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho includes fish Mountain Whitefish which can't be loaded.
Error loading fish.def for site site04 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Couldn't load definition for site site04 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.
Error loading fish.def for site site05 in outing C L Salmon River Idaho.

Does this make sense?
What do I now need to do to correct these faults.
Many thanks for your help 8)

Ron
oldclapper

Postby oldclapper » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Stanley, all the outings I have in my RWFF program now work OK :lol:

Regards

Ron
oldclapper

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Ron:

Glad you got all the fish files downloaded. I am not sure about SW's outing but I am familiar with the Salmon River as I was the creator. :P Looks like you are missing the Mountain Whitefish in your Fish file.

I looked a little further and saw "Can't open food def file food\food\food.def." in your content_errors.txt. This is a sure sign of a "Nested Folder". Meaning you have a folder withing another folder that is not expanded and the contents copied to the main Fish folder. Please do this. Open the Fish folder in your main RWFF folder, if you see a folder amongst the fish files, open that folder and copy all the contents of that folder to the main RWFF fish folder. Then delete the empty folder.

I have a feeling that you do have the Mountain Whitefish in your Fish folder, but it is still residing in another folder and not seen by the RWFF program. Please check that and let me know if this solves your error problems. Below please see an example of a "Nested Folder" in my Fish folder encircled in RED and Blue. You should not have any nested folders in your main Fish Folder. :P

Failing that, I can upload a zip file for you with all the fish needed in the Salmon River outing, you then then download, unzip and place those fish files into your main RWFF Fish folder. That would make the outing work but still doesn't resolve the real issue, which is the proper placement of the files into their folders. So please try correcting the folder within a folder problem first and let me know if it works for you.

We are getting there, so stick with it and we will have you fishing the custom outings real soon! :lol:

Here at RWFF we never give up! LOL

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Ron:

Looks like you resolved the fish file problems while I was typing the last help instructions. :lol: Congratulations!! Glad you stuck with it and got everything to work! With that kind of tenacity you will be catching many record fish real soon! Don't forget to send those records to Richard for posting in the Club House! :P

Now I can go to bed and get some needed rest! (it is 4:00 am here in HK) Golfing day for me tomorrow! Do come back and share your catches and comments with us. That is all we ask at the RWFF Forum!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Tech Support