What to buy

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

What to buy

Postby dal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi all, Ive been fishing for 30yrs since 7yrs old, lived in Peshore. I have been living back in Milford Haven Pembrokeshire Wales for 4years now. I would like to do some fly fishing, as I did some when I was younger I loved it. The one thing is I have been put on Disability so I can't afford alot. I have seen some fly rods for £60-£70 which im not sure is it a fare price, with reel,line and some flys. Also what would some one with some good knowladge say what is a good around rod or close to this , as in length, weight etc I would be very greaful for any advice. One more thing does any one knoe the area of Pembrokeshire and would know of any good fishing spots etc. I do have alot of fishing equipment from sea fishhing, two very nice light carbon bass rods which I do some spinning and stuff, I like to be moving and love fishing. Good fishing to you all and thanks for your time in reading my message. Darren
dal

The Western Cleddau in Pembrokeshire

Postby Kaldi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Darren

Having grown up on the Western Cleddau I can give you a few pointers.
The Trout in the river above Haverfordwest rarely get above 14 inches (at least I have never caught any), so a Rod of 9ft with an 5/6 AFTM should be sufficient and would allow an occasional outing at Llys-y-Fran.
There are still runs of Sewin and Salmon, but I have never heard of one big enough to cause a problem with a 9ft rod.
Most of the fishing rights of the Western Cleddau belongs to the Pembrokeshire Anglers Association (Contact the County Sports shop in Haverfordwest for further info), although there is a section from the Bridge above the Weir in Haverfordwest to the Pumping station at crowhill which only requires an EA Rod licience.
Fly spinning and ledgered worm are allowed (but this would need to checked as I only Fly Fish now and have not resorted to any other baits)
Kaldi

Return to Tech Support