New beta build available

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

New beta build available

Postby paul » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:22 pm

For those testing the current beta, here's an update. Unzip this file into the folder where you have the beta installed: http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_beta_10_5_2010.zip

This fixes quite a few things: The problem with low populations in lakes, fish not being spooked by walking, fish pooling at your feet, excessively easy trout fishing, the broken v-hull boat, your character getting stuck between reeling and casting, people standing through floor during weigh-in, catching numerous fish of exactly the same size in one place, the slow-down, and lots of minor things including an incorrect tournament total weight displayed after the first day of a two day tournament, an occasional issue that makes the character lean to one side while fishing from the dock, the livewell status going away instantly after catching a keeper in a tournament, etc. Several issues including the slow-down, too easy fishing, fish at the feet, and duplicate fish sizes were due to one glitch that basically duplicated the fish population in one spot each time you caught a fish, so if there were 10 present when you started, you'd catch one reducing the population to 9, then 10 more would be added. Repeat a few times and the place is packed with fish. All of the above are fixed in this one.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: New beta build available

Postby Fisherman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Well, it was storming here today, so instead of going fishing I discovered and downloaded the new beta test. Install was easy. I made a shortcut, and when I went to the new river, got that same hard angle, pale imagery. On a hunch, I went back into the file and opened the game from there, and the graphics were fine.
Twice, a fish hit and I was unable to reel it in at all. The line was stuck. I had to quit out and restart the game. Light tackle or not, a big fish should at least break off six lb test. There is still a tendency to look skyward when a fish is close-in. One should be able to "look" the fish into the net or onto the boat. Always one of my favorite times while really fishing. The rod still jerks up when one starts to reel-in.
The line is very stable now, and follows the rod well. Very cool. However, the rod appears to have free movement only to the left, it stops to the right.
It might be a small point, but really, the drag and line out graphs to the left are too big. They interfere with seeing the rod tip and the fishing in general. They could easily be half that size(upper half), and still be effective. Now that the graphics are coming together, I want to be able to see more!
We need more dedicated trout lures. I know you plan on flyfishing(I look forward to it), but only a handfull of the current lures are suitable for trout, especially in fast water. *cough-cough-Super-Duper-Cough-Super-Duper...
A "Panic" button would be nice to break out of situations where the line(Or the fisherman) is stuck. Right now, we have to quit the game and continue it. Failing that, and I don't know how possible it would be, wading while casting, and while playing a fish would be a welcome addition. I know I had to make some nimble moves while trout fishing in Colorado.
One should not be able to "Drop Anchor" while not in a boat.
These are first impressions. Overall, the game is getting better now. Glad to see you are back at the helm, Paul. Keep up the good work!
Fisherman

Postby paul » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks for the report. I'll have to see if I can reproduce the issue with the line getting stuck. Was the fish around a bend or behind a rock, anything like that?

There is a keyboard shortcut to quit the game instantly (right shift plus escape key) but not a way to break out back to the menu. I might add that for troubleshooting.

A super duper would be easy enough to add. In one of the upcoming updates I plan to add steelhead and salmon, and at that point I should add some more specialized lures, too, like a corky righ, spin-n-glo, steelhead/salmon crankbaits, etc. Right now the small minnow plugs, small spoons and spinners are the best bet for trout. Are there others you'd like to see besides the super-duper? I personally love a little crayfish shaped crankbait or countdown minnow plug.

For the fly fishing I intend to make it possible to walk and wade while casting. I'm working on the animation sequence/programming for that now, so the walking motion is independent of what the arms are doing, so you'll be able to take a step or turn while casting, or follow a hooked fish that's running downstream, etc. When that's working for fly fishing I'll try to make that work for the other tackle, too. Eventually I'd like to have no fishing mode vs walking mode - you're always holding the rod and ready to cast, or walk, or both. I won't get into why it's going to be tricky, but I think it's doable.

I totally agree about the line-out graphics being too big. At one time I meant to reduce those considerably and someone that fell off my to-do list. That will be in the next update, along with not anchoring while wading. =)

Also for the next update I'll post, wading is a little slower that walking on land, wading sound effects, the bugs in the help system are fixed, the issue causing the graphics to be messed up on certain waters when you start up is fixed, and a few other minor issues are solved.

I've got a fly rod and fly reel modeled and articulated, and I'm working on the casting & walking motions.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Fisherman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:37 am

On the stuck line, it was in rather shallow water, no rocks visible. Straight in, no bend or turn. Not swift water, but just beyond that. Best I can do for a description.
A few more observations:

I still could not fish from the good bassboat. All the other boats work fine. This was an older game though, did not try a new purchase.
The frog moves flatly over the lily pads now, and appears to "Fall" about a foot after passing them. Like moving across a carpet set high on the water.
Fullscreen mode won't stay on and must be activated each time I fish.
One of the other fisherman ran his boat aground at the start of a tournament.

As for other lures I'd like to see, small spinners for sure, the Super-duper in various sizes and silver and gold, trolling(eventually)-a small frontview/rearview mirror screen could go where half of the lineout/drag graphs are now. I mention trolling again as it is one of the more effective methods at my current fishing lake. As far as I know, no other game has ever done it. For the small stream, a bubble/fly combo would be fun for spinning light tackle.
Thanks again and its good to see you back at it!-Come on people. where's the feedback???
Fisherman

Postby paleodust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:25 pm

I understand that it would require some remapping of the keys but I'd really like to see the standard AWSD movement keys (typical of first-person shooters) incorporated, especially if this is going to become wading-intensive.
paleodust

Postby gd145 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:22 am

please give us an update not a beta that WE have to play with its been almost a YEAR like it or not guys its been too long waiting
gd145

Return to VR Sportfishing