Next beta update available tomorrow

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Next beta update available tomorrow

Postby paul » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:05 am

I'm going to upload a beta build tomorrow. It has a number of bug fixes and improvements, a new trout stream (Maple Valley Creek) and brown trout. There are some browns in Dream River now too. I'm working on the fly fishing next.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Next beta update available tomorrow

Postby paul » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Sorry - make that Friday. I've been doing some more testing on the beta release and hit some snags (a few bugs that are showing up in my release test area that I wasn't seeing in my development area). I think it's going to take me all day to fix these before I can upload the beta.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Rick Denman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am

I've never refreshed a page so much in my life!!!
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 ha ha ha can't wait!!!
DREAM AQUARIUM
Turn your screen into a virtual fish tank with the most realistically simulated 3D fish behaviour EVER!...
http://www.dreamaquarium.com/main.php?ref=1549

Microsoft Fishing Simulator...
http://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftFishingSimulator
Rick Denman

Postby paul » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:32 pm

OK, I've just uploaded the beta update with Maple Valley Creek, brown trout, assorted bug fixes, etc.

This update will work only with the FULL version of VR Sportfishing. To use this version you'll need to have the game installed first. Since this is a beta version you might want to install a second copy of the game and update that copy, leaving your original installation at the last official release. You can download the game installer here: http://www.softwareforfishing.com/vrspo ... 120809.exe (351 MB)

The update is here: http://www.softwareforfishing.com/vrs_b ... 1_2010.zip (21 MB)

Just download the file, open it, select "extract all files" (or whatever equivalent function your zip file tool uses) and extract the files into the folder where the game is installed.

I'm still banging my head against my desk trying to get the bottom of one problem, but there's an easy workaround. Sometimes if you go from lake to lake numerous times (just clicking next or previous lake before starting a trip) texture memory gets messed up and some of the lakes get distorted. The landscape color may be wrong, trees may use the wrong texture, etc. If that happens, just click "Quit" to leave the fishing scene, quit the game and resume your trip.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby reelfish074 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Sounds awesome! can't wait for the dl to be done!
reelfish074

Postby reelfish074 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 pm

*sigh* still won't let me fish while walking, so I can't fish the new stream. also, the glitch from icefishing is here, the trout will swarm the bait and open their mouth, but they can't seem to bite it!
reelfish074

Postby Scottish Warrior » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 pm

I noticed the Objects folder was embedded in the update,does this have to be opened and the objects put into the main folder or do you just leave it alone and install the update complete??
Regards Martin.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby paul » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:11 am

You still can't switch to fishing? Clicking "Fish" or pressing S doesn't work? Generally for it to work you have to be right against the water, so where the bank is steep it won't let you get close enough, but if you wade in where the bank isn't so abrupt it ought to let you switch to fishing. Have you tried starting a new game and then trying it?

The "Objects" folder needs to be unpacked like the rest. If you just to an "extract all" that will include folders so it's not an extra step. When you're done with the update the objects folder should be in the main game folder, and it contains a lot of scenery models and textures. Some of the new ones are farm items, like barns, silohs, hay bales, a tractor, etc., plus roads and billboard versions of vegetation.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:44 am

If you're seeing the trout try to bite and fail, can you send me the log.txt file from the game file right after you see that happen? That might help me figure out what's going on, since it will let me see the frame rate at the time of the issue, etc. I still have never seen that problem happen here. I'd really like to figure out why that only effects the trout.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby tom1234505 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:10 am

hmmm, paul I dont seem to see a fish button when you click on new fishing trip and when you press continue fishing trip it freezes. so i can't see the new lake. I also notice a performance decrease. usually I get 30-40 FPS on the settings I have it on, but now it's more like 20-25 FPS on the same settings. hope this can help you out If you need more info just ask. I check this site at least twice a day. :)
tom1234505

Postby Rick Denman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm also getting about 10 trout all around my feet pecking at the lure on every cast?!?

Also this latest update seems to have poisoned all the fish in the lakes because they seem to be empty of all fish.
I had to reinstall the game so now im on the jetty with no boat and there aren't any fish in the lakes so i can't earn money to progress lol
DREAM AQUARIUM
Turn your screen into a virtual fish tank with the most realistically simulated 3D fish behaviour EVER!...
http://www.dreamaquarium.com/main.php?ref=1549

Microsoft Fishing Simulator...
http://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftFishingSimulator
Rick Denman

Postby big jake » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:23 pm

there's a problem with casting on the dock if you have clicked to use the mouse to look around when you cast to the side then the view goes back to facing strait out from the dock but it don't do it if your not using mouse view.

using the cheat rich wealthy i tested around the lakes couldn't find fish like said above but also with the v hull i get terrain in the air and stuff like that with out being able to see the boat or fish don't really know how to explain. only the v hull i get this
big jake

Postby SloughCreekKid » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Paul,

I got in and saw the two rivers/creeks...the stream fishing for trout will be great..thanks.

What would you like us to do to help out? :?:

What do you want us to test?
:?: Comment on what is good? Comment on what seems like it needs altered? Report all bugs/glitches?

I have beta tested elsewhere but not here before....I'd be happy to help however you need. 8)

Thanks.
SloughCreekKid

Postby paul » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:50 am

Wow - more problems than I expected to see with this one. The slow-down is especially unexpected. Many of the changes for this one should improve speed, at least on the new waters, and shouldn't have much effect on the originals.

I suspect the freeze-ups may be related to changes in some of the file formats causing some trouble when merged with an existing installation. I'm going to upload a zip file containing a complete installation of the current build. For those having trouble with the update this may help, if you download it and unzip it into a new folder. You'll just need to enter your activation code.

I'll post here when it's uploaded.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Fisherman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 am

Ok, I loaded it all in and went to the new stream. At first, it was quite barren and it took me a bit to work out why. I had started the game from within the gamefile, and it was colorless and pale, and angular. The water was flat. When I started it from the original desktop icon, the colors came to life. Very lush and green, easy to move around in. The water had depth.
Keeping the mouse arrow centered before casting helped a lot, as did walking on an angle up slope, not straight up the bank. Walking into the water before attempting to fish made it easy. You can't wade, just stop and cast. Right clicking the mouse brought up the "Fish" or "Walk" menus with no problems.
My biggest was a 24.5 inch 5.7 lb brown trout. Caught a few other nice ones, a few due to a glitch that makes the lure stick at your feet and a fish is on suddenly.
I have not tried the other lakes yet to see if they have changed. The new stream is good, and I look forward to flyfishing.
Fisherman

Next

Return to VR Sportfishing