Progress report

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Re: Progress report

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I finally got it working... AWESOME! the trout seem willing to bite and the current is realistic ( that strech of water thats narrow with fast current and loads of logs is hard to navigate) the only thing is that, I have never heard of schooling trout.... but I don't have much experience in trout fishing.
reelfish074

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:47 pm

It looks like that was the only must-have file missing, but a couple other helpful ones were missing. I'm uploading the main zip file again now. It also has updates for the boat windows that were corrupt in the last update, and a sound effect for when you take a screenshot.

And yes, you can go boating on the river. I kept that in for this one. When I get a little meadow stream into the game that won't be an option, and once I get boat and motor damage in the game you might find high speed boating on this first river (it's called Dream River by the way) a bit risky. But fun. Since running aground, even into the dam at full speed, doesn't hurt you yet, you can get away with some stunts. In fact you can hit the dam and 70 miles per hour and scrape up and over it and get back on the throttle on the other side. In a future update perhaps a firey explosion is in order for those who try that.

I just did some test fishing on a new install with the update in place and things worked well. About a quarter mile upriver of the shop you'll find two boulders on the right shore - a red one and white one. That's been a pretty good spot for me in April, especially with worms. I just tried an August trip and got a couple there on spinners, tried up in the canyon for a bit with no luck, then motored to the waterfall. The water just below the falls is moving pretty fast and you probably won't find a lot of fish there most of the time, but in the first big pool around the bend I found a ton of trout feeding. I was throwing small in-line spinners and broke off a 20+ rainbow there. I caught a bunch of smaller ones and eventually landed a 20 incher. There are bigger ones out there.

A stretch I like because it reminds me of some water I used to fish is in the left channel. Just upriver of the canyon the river splits around a large island. The right side (facing upstream) is easier boating, but the left side has a lot of big boulders, some moderate current, and some nice holes.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:00 pm

O.K. just explored the whole river, some areas of land are transparent so you can see through them but thats the only glitch I found.

EDIT: include the explosion in a update without talking about it, that ought to give some people a surprise :lol:
About how long does it take to create a new fish? wouldn't mind a nice brownie here and there :wink:
reelfish074

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:37 pm

TIP: to cross the river, walk upstream until you reach the part just before the poole that is shallow, fast, and narrow waters that has a island in the middle, you can just walk across to the island, then cross from that to the other side.
reelfish074

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Also, something that I'm suffering from now is the refusal to swap to fishing or walking, you can click walk or fish multiple times, but it won't swap.
reelfish074

Postby geraldro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:02 pm

The same for me, Shane and also In the old lakes, when is chosen " dock mode" it is unplayable.

In shore mode :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:08 pm

:lol: since when do you hold the minnow and not the fish? :lol:

I have the same problem with dock mode...
reelfish074

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm

while playing in lake tester, I upped the water level of the river, but now the game is messed up, the water color is really weird, is there a way to set it back to normal?
reelfish074

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Make sure you're runnning the new exe or the river won't work.

The transparent land is a real mystery - Oh - did you by chance walk off the edge of the map? Right now there's no limit and if you go beyond the edge you'll see into the landscape. That will go away when there are limits to your motion.

Trout do school in lakes, but in rivers it's more accurate to say they can congregate in certain prime areas. For instance, if conditions are right for the fish to be in deep pools, any single pool could have dozens or (in a fair sized river) hundreds of trout, while a shallow riffle or rapid might not have a single fish.

If you can't switch between walking and fishing (use the S key as a shortcut) it's probably because you're not close enough to the water. You need to either be standing on land just inches higher than the water, or close enough that the tip of your rod reaches over the water. Also be aware that the game automatically closes your reel in mid cast if the lure flies over land, so if you try to cast along the shoreline you're standing on the lure will probably stop right away. I can change that in the future.
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:49 pm

When you edit the water level the game automatically switches the water effects off to speed things up. You can go into options and change the water effects higher again.

There's also a new option for refraction but not reflection. It looks better than "off" but runs about 20% faster than having both reflections and refrations on. The text overlaps the button for that option - another little thing I need to fix...

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I've been trying to recreate the issue with the caught fish at your feet and the bait held. Does that happen every time for you?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby geraldro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi all

In the old lakes, when is chosen " dock mode" it is unplayable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVieTYSWZ_4

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Postby paul » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 am

I'm looking into the dock issue. I've got part of it fixed, but another issue remains.
paul
Site Admin

Postby geraldro » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:19 am

I try to create a new river with upstream of Browntrouts, rainbowtrouts and downstream with pikes, crappies, perchs but in "call guide" there is no Rainbow and no Browntrout ?

Finally, it is possible to choose the place where one put fish ?

In France a river is classified in 2 categories, the dates opening of fishing are different :

- Towards the source, first categorie, with trouts, minnows etc

- to the bottom, second categorie, with pikes, crappies etc

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Postby geraldro » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Paul,

I clicked on the buton" call guide" and since does my game start on this window for all the lakes? Impossible to play, the button " Fish" is inactive

I started again my PC several times and it is always similar for all lakes :?: :?: :?:

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

PreviousNext

Return to VR Sportfishing