Progress report

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Re: Progress report

Postby paul » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 am

Here are some fresh screenshots of the first river in progress - in the first I cranked up the number of trees just to see how the system can handle the quantity. The others just give you a sense of the landscape:
http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_river.php

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paleodust » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 pm

:shock: Wow! Thanks Paul! I'm looking forward to it!
paleodust

Postby geraldro » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi Paul,

Splendid

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Postby reelfish074 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

AWESOME! Can't wait for the update! Can you give us a picture of the watefall?
reelfish074

Postby bman123 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:36 am

nice!!!!
spechless i would of expected it to give you a harder time
so far what type of fish are there
Thanks
bman123

Postby paul » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:13 am

I've got the waterfall functioning (it moves like it should) but now I'm working on making it look decent. I'm trying to build a better texture for it, and I'm experimenting with drawing it in layers.

Another thing I've decided I want to do in one of these updates is VLOD - variable level of detail in the actors. The people have a pretty high polygon count. When I create the new customizable person I plan to make it even higher, so hopefully people will look better when you see them up close. But for viewing at greater distances I'll make low-polygon versions, down to one with just a few dozen polys. A person with so few polygons looks awful up close, but from a couple hundred yards it looks fine and it takes much less time to render, so that will speed things up. I'm thinking of making high through low poly versions of trees, bushes, logs, etc. I think the time I can save by speeding up the drawing of the distant stuff will allow me to crank up the detail on the close stuff and if it's done right it's pretty seemless.

As of now I've got the trees, rocks, etc. fading out of view as they get near the limit of your drawing distance, and that's automatically calculated based on the size of the object. It's subtle and you may not notice it happening to rocks and logs unless you watch for it, but it's another method of rendering more detail in your immediate surroundings than at greater distances. So a 1 foot rock may fade away 500 feet from you while a big pine tree may not fade until 2000 feet, etc.

For this first beta release there won't be any of the new species yet - just rainbow trout in this river. The good news is most of the work I'm doing will benefit every future body of water. Basically I'm enhancing the game engine and the tools. When this is done it won't take long at all to create each new body of water. For example I can erase all the objects from the new map, manually add the dam, use patterns to add a few thousand trees, rocks, boulders, logs, etc., all in about 10 minutes. Applying all this to the existing lakes will go quickly.

OK - it's after 1 AM. A couple more modifications to the waterfall and I've got to get some sleep.

Tight lines all,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Ike » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:55 am

Sounds good, Paul. We all appreciate it. R u still planning on slipping out the beta update this week?
Ike

Postby paleodust » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:10 am

I created a really nice waterfall for Microsoft back when I was doing effects for XBox games. Good luck with it! It can be tricky to make them look just right.
paleodust

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:01 am

I'm still hoping to upload something tonight - it's been a long week and some things that should have gone easily got complicated - always seems to happen. Right now I'm finishing up some map issues. There are some ghost boulders - they're in the data used for detecting collisions, but nowhere else. I'm trying to clean up the data automatically rather than remapping all the scenery objects.

You're right about the waterfall - making it look just right is going to be tough. I'm going to leave it as I have it for the first beta and try to improve it in another round.

I've got a few more must-fix issues, and I'm hoping I can get them dealt with by midnight or so. If I can I'll start the upload.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:47 am

The beta is uploading. Hopefully it will be done by the time I'm done typing this - if not, it will be available within a few minutes.

Huge warning: There are lots of things yet to do. Here's a partial list of current issues, all of which I plan to fix:

While walking on some surfaces the camera may get jittery. It's better in first person, but in "auto" it may bounce around when walking over uneven ground. I'll smooth that out in the next update.
Only parts of the boat detect collisions, so you might partially overlap a log or boulder and even get stuck there.
Rod control isn't as good as it should be yet. Right click to switch mouse-look on and off. Once you have line out the mouse won't move the camera but will move the rod by twisting your body. I'm going to experiment with using keys to switch the mouse between pointer, rod and camera control.
Fish AI - It's still fairly rough in some situations in the moving water, but it's really coming along. Find an area with an appropriate level of current for the conditions and you'll find some fish, though. Nightcrawlers and spinners work great on the rainbows.
The fishing guide- the advice should be accurate as far as fish activity, spawning, etc., but it doesn't yet talk about current, or river-type structures.
Walking limits - You can currently walk to the edge of the world. There will be limits in the future to keep you in the areas you're supposed to see, like not getting near the river upstream of the waterfall.
Sound - There's no sound for the flowing water or even the waterfall yet. That's coming, along with wading sounds.
Oh yeah, and waders. Right now wading requires wetting your pants. :oops:

I think that's most of it.

For those inclined to play with the new editing system, sign in as "lake tester" and you'll see some new buttons. You can manually add an object or add any number either to the whole map or to within a certain distance of your current location. There are some bugs in that system yet, and when all is said and done I'll try to make it more user friendly, but it's fun to play around with. I spent a lot of the day chasing down those ghost boulders. They're fixed now.

OK, it's creeping up on 2 AM here. I didn't quite it make my Saturday goal, but the upload is done now. Consider it very much a work in progress, but if you want to try out the river you're welcome to do that.

Here's the link:
http://www.pishtech.com/vrs_river_beta.zip
Just download it and unzip it into the game folder.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby geraldro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Paul,

After update, I can't open the game, I think it misses the file " pvrs.exe" in the update ?

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Postby geraldro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:43 am

For those which are blocked, install this file after unrar

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/10/18 ... 8/pvrs.rar

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm going to wait and see if it works for you guys before I install it.
reelfish074

Postby paul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 pm

That's what I get for building a zip file at 1:30... sorry. Here's a zip with just the executable so you don't have to download the larger file:

http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_exe.zip

I'm going to do some more testing on the main zip file to see if anything else is missing and then I'll upload that one again.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:59 pm

When I run that I get a error... do I need to download the other file also?
reelfish074

PreviousNext

Return to VR Sportfishing