Problem with fish schooling

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Problem with fish schooling

Postby pat10 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:02 am

I wanted to try to create a lake so to learn I just decided to add a few hundred muskie into thompson res just to see how all the files looked and everything and to use the lake tester. What I discovered was not good. As a avid muskie fisherman I know that muskies are not huge schooling fish. Sure sometimes you find a few fish in the same area but that is about it. Out of the several hundred muskies I put in the lake, there were only a few spots on the lake that held any muskies at all. The problem was because they were all in schools of about 20 fish. This is extremely unrealistic. In fact the schools of walleyes that I did not mess with were in insanely large schools. Yes it is true that walleyes will school up but the fact that there were barely any loners but instead schools of 30-40 fish in a 10 by 10 foot area was pretty messed up. I think it is good to have some schooling fish in the game but it is waaaaaay overdone. I cant even fish for muskies in this lake because it would be too boring. I would cast for endless hours trying to find one of the muskie schools and then catch a dozen in a dozen casts. Or if I targeted walleyes along the rocky creek bed that runs along the lake I would be finding insanely large schools of fish, then nothing for several hundred yards, than insanely large schools of fish. Something should really be done about this especially if we are aiming for a realistic fish sim. It seemed like trophy bass 4. A muskie here, a muskie there is how it should be done. A few walleyes here, a few walleyes there, a school here, a loner there, thats how that should be done. There wasnt any reason that 20 something muskies should have been in these areas either. It was really no different than all the other weedbeds around it. I think if you are really set on having fish schools in the game you really gotta tone it down and limit it to certain species. Bluegills, crappies, sometimes walleyes, but definitely not muskies
pat10

Re: Problem with fish schooling

Postby gonefishin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm

I wonder if this is a FishLogix issue?
gonefishin

Postby pat10 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 pm

I dont know what the issue is but i believe this is the best fishing game ever made but this error alone is making it unplayable by destroying the realism. I think its possibly a quick easy fix though. Spread the fish out over the cover instead of putting them all in a tiny little weed patch when there are weeds all over. Basically pick a lake and use the lake tester tools of clear water and traveling in the sub and the problems pop out. I absolutely love this game and it will be the first realistic muskie game ever made once the muskies are spread out
pat10

Postby paleodust » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Good catch! Yeah, I would suspect it's an easy fix as well.
paleodust

Postby pat10 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:37 pm

I sure hope its something thats fixed soon. Im stuck in the hospital and I need something to do. I finally learned how to put big muskies in a lake and I cant fish it because its too unrealistic.
pat10

Postby pat10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 am

I have tried my best to figure out a cause of the problem but am stumped. I have changed numbers of muskies in the lake as well as types of weeds and structure to try to spread them out but what always seems to happen is the muskies will chose the top ten spots on the lake depending on season and all the muskies populating those areas.....for the most part....
pat10

Postby paul » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 am

I'm looking into this. The muskies are not configured to school, so the game isn't intentionally putting a bunch in one place, but it may be doing that because it's identified certain places as being significantly better than others that may appear similar. But I agree- if there are numerous muskies in one part of a weed bed while the rest is vacant that sounds like a problem. In the real world I've caught 2 muskies on consecutive casts to the same spot, but that kind of thing is very rare.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby pat10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Add a few hundred muskies into thompson and check that out than we are working on the same lake. If you start in June basically every single muskie is located in the main starting bay. Later in the year they seem to move out onto the main lake points where you find 20 muskies around each point or stacked around certain pieces of weeds
pat10

Postby pat10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:58 pm

And yes it is very possible that a bay or a point may have a few muskies holding on it. But the majority of the time one nice fish will stake out an area by itself. And in a big lake lake thompson 200 muskies should be wellllll spread out with the amount of weedbeds, timber, and points for them to hold on. Even the road bed should hold a few
pat10

Return to VR Sportfishing