Question for Paul

Creating and sharing new content for VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Question for Paul

Postby geraldro » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Paul,

In one of your lakes, I saw a springboard for the water-skiing, but I do not find the texture in the files of VRS ? Or maybe I badly saw :oops:

it is possible to have some textures of animals: different cows, horses etc :?:

Thank for your answer

Regards

Gérald
geraldro

Re: Question for Paul

Postby paul » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:02 pm

I don't have a waterskiing springboard (ramp for jumping) or anything like that, but I think I can help you get things like animals into the game easily. How about this:

I'll add support for generic billboards. In 3D gaming a billboard is a 2D surface that's always facing you. You could take a picture of a cow from the side, put it in the game as a billboard and no matter which direction you look at it (but from about the same altitude) you'll see the cow from the side. They're handy since you only need a 2D image, and they are much faster to render than a 3D model. The drawback is that if you get quite close to one it becomes obvious that it's flat. Also if you view a billboard from above you'll either see the edge of a flat surface, or you'll still see the side of the cow, depending on the type of billboard, but either way it won't look like the top of a cow. Still, for animals and things a fair distance from the water it would work just fine.

Billboards are often used for trees and plants and they're also handy for large objects that are very far away, like a city skyline. It would be a quick way to put a tractor in a field, a windmill or water tower in the distance, etc.

I'll get the billboards into the next update.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to VRS Development