Problem with demo

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Re: Problem with demo

Postby paul » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks. You've given me some very helpful information. I wish it gave me a solution, but at least it has ruled out a few things. The problem is now pinned down to a single line of code, but why that line should fail on a few computers but not others is still a mystery. I'll keep digging. Thanks for your help!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Your welcome :) So eager to see it running good for the rest of us.
Rob

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Sent new log in and debug once again for update 11. Looking promising but no go,longest load yet before crash. Anyone else been trying these updates? If so would love to know your full system specs out of curiosity.
Rob

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi Paul,just wondering if the last .txt files i sent in showed anything odd this time? I looked at the logs briefly and it seems like all things are loading succesful unless some were missing at end? Hope it helped. I'am gonna try changing my desktop size see if that helps.
Rob

Postby paul » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:11 am

Here's the status as of today:

The experimental program you tried for me crashed the same way as the game, and that program does very little - it just sets up the 3D engine the way the game does, and then tries to create an "actor" object. It doesn't use any textures or models or license files any external data at all, yet it crashes on a handful of computers. That points fairly conclusively towards the problem being in the 3D engine, not in the game. That's both good and bad:

The bad: I can't debug into the engine itself, so I can't see positive proof if it's a bug in the engine. And if it is, I can't fix the engine.

The good: Now that a tiny program can demonstrate the crash, I was able to give the full source code for that program to the developers of the 3D engine. I'm hoping they can get into that function and find an explanation fairly quickly. Since Ice Fishing Derby works for you that indicates that there's something about the state of the engine at the time it tries to create an actor that will either cause or prevent the crash on the effected computers. We don't even need a fix in the 3D engine itself. Once I know what that condition is I can be sure to have the engine in the non-crashing state when it creates its actors. And that should fix it.

So right now I'm waiting for a response from the TV3D folks. They've been very responsive and helpful in the past, so I'm hopeful that I'll know something in the next few days.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:35 am

Great to here,hanging in and checking back soon. Good Luck
Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:15 am

the zip format on the secondary link to ice fishing cant be opened. tried twice and no luck,can you winrar or winzip it?
Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Paul
I just uninstalled SP3 pack and tried the game out again hoping that might be the issue but still no go! Any luck with the issue? I went to the forums for 3dtv also.
Rob

Postby geraldro » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Rob,

I have the same problem, I am sure that Paul is going to adjust it, but it is necessary to wait because that is not easy...

Gérald
geraldro

Previous

Return to VR Sportfishing