VR Sportfishing, a dream come true?

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

VR Sportfishing, a dream come true?

Postby Fisherman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Dear Paul,

Congratulations on what promises to be a great fishing game! I've been fishing all my life, and playing fishing games since home computers were invented. Just from the brief video I saw, I think you have a good chance of avoiding the same pitfalls game after game has driven their bassboat into. I'll be keeping an eye on this game, and plan to be an early purchaser. I have a few questions, and perhaps you might answer them for me?
A first person and second person perspective are shown. Does the game stay in these perspectives when fishing? Too many games force the view into an underwater view when the lure is in the water. Since I don't go around shoving my head underwater when I fish, this takes away alot of the challenge and realism of fishing. I prefer it as an option.
Too many games use cover for show. Since fish relate so much to brush, shade, weeds, drop-offs etc in different seasons and time of day, will this be incorporated into your game, at least to some degree? As a fisherman who prefers, jigs, topwater lures and spinnerbaits, I enjoy the challenge of various mini-environments within a given lake.
It sounds like you appreciate the differences in fish species. Some games have them fight all the same. Will the various species react accordingly when hooked?
I'll never forget hooking a ten pound plus bass on light tackle, and how it rushed the boat and gave me "The eye" when it turned. Since I had slack in the line, I had to reel frantically to keep up once I realized he was still on the line, then hold on for dear life and trust my drag setting when he rushed away. (I landed him after a great fight). Too many games forget that bigger fish have a few tricks smaller ones don't.
Well, that's all for now. I look forward to your new game.

William
Fisherman

Re: VR Sportfishing, a dream come true?

Postby paul » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 am

William,

Thanks for your post! I'll be happy to answer your questions.

First, you have direct control over the view whenever you're fishing. In the settings menu (which you can access without leaving the fishing scene) you have 3 different view settings, so you can pick the view to use when driving, when deciding where to cast, and when retrieving a lure and/or fighting a fish. The game will switch to your preferred view for whatever you're doing. For example, you might like to have a following view when driving the boat, and over-the-shoulder view when casting, and a first-person view when your lure is in the water. Of course for maximum realism you can set the view to first-person for all 3. There's a cinematic view in which the camera floats around at varying distances, heights and angles, which is great for screen shots or enjoying the scenery, but not too handy for fishing. There's a top-down view that's helpful when picking where to cast, plus the first person and over-the-shoulder. If you purchase the underwater camera in the bait shop that unlocks the lure camera options, and there are 3 versions of lure following cameras, but again you don't have to use them and you can save your money for other things in the bait shop.

The fish do in fact relate to cover as they should. The core of the virtual guide system in Fishlogix is used in VR Sportfishing to determine how each species of fish should behave depending on the conditions, and that includes how they use vegetation. On a sunny day in August you'll find more largemouth bass around cover that provides some shade, like lilly pads. In early spring shady cover isn't as productive, but fish will still concentrate around grass and other less dense vegetation. Smallmouth are less weed-oriented and are more often found in rocky areas.

Fishlogix determines the appropriate depths for the situation, too. For example, walleyes will be deepest at mid-day in a clear lake in calm weather, when light penetrates into the water the most. The murkier the water, the more wind for wave action, and the more cloud cover, the shallower they're likely to be. How fish react to different light levels and many other conditions is of course different for every species.

There's difference in how fish fight, too. Bass fight faster and more eratically than walleyes and bluegills, for instance. I've tried to favor for the most part. I remeber being dissapointed that in the original Trophy Bass a one pound bass could break 30 pound test if you just cranked it in. In the real world if you just crank away a bass that size is pretty helpless and is seriously overpowered by heavy tackle. If you fish like a tournament pro who's priority is to get the fish in the livewell fast and never risk a breakoff on a big fish, then you can use heavy tackle and catch fish, but there's no sport in the fight unless it's a really nice fish. It's that way in VR Sportfishing too, so if you prefer the fight to be sporting, stick to lighter line and tackle.

TIght lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to VR Sportfishing