Update on fly fishing feature

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Update on fly fishing feature

Postby paul » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey, folks. Just a quick post to let you know how things are going. Working out some mysterious bugs in the 3D fly tying took weeks longer than expected, but since then progress has been better. I've been trying to improve the physics of the fly casting lately. I now have the road loading (flexing as the line pulls away from the rod) and unloading (springing straight and adding speed to the rod during the stroke) which not only looks more realistic than an unflexing fly rod, it's got the line launching out there better, and with a tigheter loop. I've also got hauling working well, which for those new to fly fishing is pulling your line hand away from the rod to accelerate the line on the backstroke, and then bringing your hand back to the rod as the line unrolls. Now I'm taking it to the next level and working on the double haul, which is doing a haul on both the forward and backstroke. I could fake this easily, just adding some extra velocity to the line at the end of each rod stroke, but in my opinion it's worth the effort to simulate the physics properly for these kinds of things. I believe the end result will feel more realistic and responsive to the timing of your casting stroke.

I'll probably release a beta of the fly fishing without any deep AI related to hatches and fly selection, just to give people a chance to try out the casting and fishing without worrying about picking the perfect fly. I can't promise a firm date (thought I'd have it by now) but I'll be working a lot of late nights until it's out there for people to try.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Update on fly fishing feature

Postby reelfish074 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to try out the flyfishing :D
reelfish074

Postby paleodust » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Sounds like fun! Keep up the good work! (And thanks for the update!) :P
paleodust

Postby dan94 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 am

sounds really good i didnt think that so much of that was possible :P looking forward to it. :D

Cheers Dan94
dan94

Return to VR Sportfishing