Fly tool status

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Fly tool status

Postby paul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey, folks. I'm continuing to hunt for any explanation for why the fly creation tool isn't working. It's worked on every computer I've tried it on (4, including laptops and desktops, with Windows XP, Vista and 7) and as far as I know it has not worked for anyone else. I'm grasping at straws, but one theory is that the file got corrupted on the web server somehow and that it's worked for me because I had just copied the file between computers rather than downloading it. That's not very likely, especially considering there have been several versions, but in order to rule that out too I've uploaded a new version, downloaded it from the web server to another computer and confirmed that it worked. This time the zip file includes everything the program needs to run, so you can unzip it into a new folder and it should simply work.

If you're among those who have tried the fly creation tool without success, please email me so I can work with you directly.

Here's the new build (again, this one can be unzipped in a new folder):

http://www.pishtech.com/vrs_fly_tying_1_14_2011.zip

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Fly tool status

Postby reelfish074 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm

have you tried installing it the same way we would? Like installing the game the same way we do and downloading the flytying tool the same way we do?
reelfish074

Postby paul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:25 am

Yep, I've tried that several times. The new one doesn't even need the game installed, as long as you have the DirectX components installed (and if the game runs, then you do.) I've downloaded that from the same link onto a computer with no development tools, extracted the files to a new directory, and it works fine. Do you see either a log.txt file and/or an errors.txt file in the folder after trying to run it? If so can you email those to me? Those may contain some clues.

Thanks,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby big jake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:35 am

i had the same problem as everybody the new one works until i put it in the game folder i can make and save the fly's without putting it into the game but soon as i try to run it in the game folder it has the error. don't know if this helps?

hope that you can understand this.
big jake

Postby paul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:05 am

Ah, now that's really interesting. So maybe something that's in your game folder makes a difference? But in it's own folder it runs ok? I appreciate the info. Can you post some flies you've created when it's running in it's own folder?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby big jake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:01 am

Yea it doesn't work in the vr sport fishing folder I,m running out of a folder i created and for the fly's ill just post the recipes here

very first one
FLY_PATTERN:Brassy
FLY_TYPE:MIDGE_LARVA
HOOK,hook
HEAD,black
HEAD,black
HEAD,black
HEAD,bright_green
BODYSLIMFLAT,gold wire
BEADHEAD,bright_yellow

FLY_PATTERN:Red Ant
FLY_TYPE:ANT
HOOK,hook
BODYANT,bright_red
PARACHUTEHACKLE,spun_deer2

FLY_PATTERN:Bh Zug Bug
FLY_TYPE:MISC_WET
HOOK,hook
BODYSEGMENTED,dub_black_twotone
BEADHEAD,silver
BODYNYMPHDUBBING,black
BIOTTAIL,black
NYMPHHACKLE,black
NYMPHSHELLBACK,mallard

these are made really fast so don't expect them too look that much like the real ones or even close :lol:
you can use these to see them by putting them in the text right?
big jake

Postby Pitti » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 am

For me it works fine as standalone in its own folder. If I copy the files into the VR folder and overwrite any files, it crashes while starting the flytying.exe.

Testfly:

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:14 pm

So it's definitely something different about the files in the game folder that effects it. Hmmm... Here's a build that should ignore just about everything in the game folder, so in theory it should run either in a new folder or in the game folder. It should launch notepad with an explanation of a problem if it encounters one:

http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_fly_tying_1_15_2011.zip

Thanks,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:40 pm

This version works for me also in the game-folder. :)

Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Great news! Hopefully it will work solidly for everyone. Now let's see some more flies. =)

Thanks for sticking with it,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:15 pm

I like it. It's funny, also without the VR.game.
Anyway, more features would be great, like object moving, rotate, resize and import of own textures.
Also user-accurately defined transparent of the objects would be fine.

A poor Green Highlander:

Peter
Pitti

Postby splitzilla » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Pitti wrote:For me it works fine as standalone in its own folder. If I copy the files into the VR folder and overwrite any files, it crashes while starting the flytying.exe.

Testfly:

Regards Peter

it works, i downloaded it and put it in its own folder then i created the fly that i wanted and copied the fly_patterns.txt in the VR folder.
Now you can start the Game and select your fly that you made.

thx paul for the nice feature.
splitzilla

Return to VR Sportfishing