Fly creation tool

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Fly creation tool

Postby paul » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:10 pm

For those interested in fly fishing in VRS, a 3D fly creation tool is now available. You can download it with this link:

http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_fly_tying.zip

Just unzip it into the folder where you have VR Sportfishing installed and then run flytying.exe to start it. For the most part it's self-explanatory, but here's a tip: Whenever you can select something with the page up/down keys (existing fly pattern, fly component or fly category) you can also use the mouse wheel to go through the options more quickly. You can add, change and delete components with the buttons or keys (the keys are shown on the buttons) and select a texture for the current component by clicking on the texture image. You can save flies and they'll show up in the fly_patterns.txt file in the main folder, which you can also edit manually. Right now there are 50 components and almost 100 textures. That doesn't give it the pieces to create everything, certainly not patterns that use unique matterials or shaping, but it should allow for creating the majority of the most popular flies.

Please let me know how it works for you, and please share some screen shots of your creations along with the recipies (you can copy the text for your saved patterns from the fly_patterns.txt file). I'd love to collect a bunch of fly patterns to include in the game.

Tight threads,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Fly creation tool

Postby reelfish074 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I got flytying.exe has stopped working, no clue why.
reelfish074

Postby paul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:14 am

Is it in the folder where the game (pvrs.exe) is installed? Is there any text in the errors.txt file?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 am

I can't start the tool. It is correct installed in the VR Sportfishing folder. I use Vista.

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Are all the other files there too? It needs the fly_patterns.txt, and the flycomp folder. I'm looking for any other explanation, but so far the only way I can get it to crash is to run it without the dependent files.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Here's an updated build: http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_fly_tying_1_7_2011.zip

The only thing that's changed is the addition of more error checking. If a file is missing it should (under most conditions) report what that file is.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I have installed all 3 files and the folder into my c:\games\vr sportfishing folder (where pvrs.exe is located too), but I get the same error again.
After starting the flytying.exe I get a white window and the error-message above. I use the pvrs-version from 22.11.2010 and windows vista.

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 am

Is there anything in the file errors.txt after that?
Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:19 am

There is no errors.txt in the VR folder.
Pitti

Postby reelfish074 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:05 pm

yeah, I didn't get a errors text file either.
reelfish074

Postby paul » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for the reports. I'm close to stumped on this one, but I can try testing on some other computers. Hopefully that will let me reproducethe problem.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm

I also have vista if that helps.
reelfish074

Postby paul » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 am

I've got a laptop here running Vista. I"ll give it a try. The fact that it hasn't worked for anybody makes me think it must be missing some DLL or other file though. Yet if that were the case I really expected the new diagnostic build to report exactly what's wrong rather than just crashing. I was about to start explaining the issues involved in building this tool, but you don't need to share my headaches. Don't bother trying this any more until I get it working on a system that has none of the game development software. I'll let you know when I've got it sorted out. Thanks for the reports!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:39 pm

OK, I'm pretty sure I've got this thing cracked. Vista wasn't the issue, but a matter of what video settings the game last used. I've uploaded a new build that will ignore the game settings. It always runs windowed in 1024x768 with mild anti-aliasing. Anyway, it's working smoothly in the situations that caused the last build to crash. Please have a look and see if it behaves itself. 8)

Here's the link: http://www.pishtech.com/pvrs_fly_tying_1_10_2011.zip

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby splitzilla » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi i'm new here
i tried it out and it doesnt work for me it says its and APPCRASH, i dont know what that is
splitzilla

Return to VR Sportfishing