Question re Reeling/Drag Volume Need solution so I can buy

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Question re Reeling/Drag Volume Need solution so I can buy

Postby SloughCreekKid » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:31 am

Hi. The volume of the reeling in the line and the reel Drag is very very low. All other sound seem good volume.

I found this game and would really like to purchase full version but may not enjoy it if the reel sounds are this soft. They probably need to be 3 times the current volume. Computer volume is turned up to almost full.

Boat sounds are very loud.
Loons/birds are loud
Splashes are soft
Drag is almost too soft to even hear.
Sound of reeling in almost too soft to hear.

Any thoughts on how to determine why reel sounds are so soft? Or are they that soft for everyone?

Thanks! :P
SloughCreekKid

Re: Question re Reeling/Drag Volume Need solution so I can buy

Postby paleodust » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Honestly, I've never paid attention to it. Of course, all the reels I use it real life (no pun intended) are pretty quiet, if not completely silent. Remember, this is intended to be a simulator. I know there are some reels out there that are pretty noisy, though. Have you experimented with different types of reels? Are they all quiet or did you just end up with a quiet one?
paleodust

Postby paleodust » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:45 pm

By the way, I wouldn't let something small like that keep you from purchasing the full version. It's a work in progress and Paul intends to continue offering free updates as he completes them. The nice thing about it is that he takes our suggestions and feedback into consideration in creating the on-going releases. If it's an issue, chances are it will be dealt with in a future release.
paleodust

Postby SloughCreekKid » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies. No I haven't tried any other reels since in the demo the light tackle reel is the only one that can be used. I think the sim is great...I have always wanted a fishing "game" where you don't see all the fish and they bite on anything at aytime and they all the bass wiehg 20 lbs! :P I was wondering if in the full version this ceases to be an issue, or if anyone that has played a lot has ever gone back and used the ultralite 4# test reel to see if it is near silent grad for them as well.

So I was really wondering, is the drag sound that quiet for everyone? :?:

Again, with no other noise in the apartment and the computer volume at the highest, I can barely hear the drag. So I played and fought the fish in - in virtual silence. The waves against the boat is so quiet and barely any reel sound at all...it was just so very very quiet..... Thanks!
SloughCreekKid

Postby reelfish074 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:43 pm

I have the full version and I change to the lightest reels for fun all the time. The drag sound is very low, for all reels. In real life all my reels besides one is almost silent (I have 23 of them!), I wouldn't let this bother you, Paul ( the creator) listens to suggestions so this could be added as a optional feature?
reelfish074

Postby SloughCreekKid » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks.

Cutch, a friend on another forum for a different sim, who was an active member here for a couple years, said you all would be helpful.

Has anyone ever gone into the files and modified the volume of the drag? If there was a way to just make it 2-3 times as loud,it would be great.

When I tried it 2 nights ago, I had it up as loud as I could so I could even hear something as I was fishing, then a boat roared past! Wow that was loud! :lol: :lol:

Please don't take any of this as a negative on this sim. What a great change this is from the glitzy "arcade games" that have sold for years. I know what it's like to be part of a great sim like this and have some "newcomers" complain about a lot...that is not what I am trying to do. :P
SloughCreekKid

Postby paleodust » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 am

I've never tried that. Perhaps reel volume should be added in the settings, though.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Stick around. Paul's been busy adding rivers to the sim. We're hoping for an update any time.
paleodust

Postby SloughCreekKid » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks to both of you. I went into the files/folders (or whatever they are called) last night and played the "drag" files (there are three of them)...all sounded fine individually. Then I played the boat motor file....wow it was very loud in comparison! :P

If anyone else has any ideas or has successfully made the drag files louder, I would appreciate the input.
( I did purchase the ice fishing derby as I wanted to have that as well...after one game it has some issues...I will post that under tech or ice fishing derby)
SloughCreekKid

Postby gonefishin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:14 pm

This would be an easy fix. Just open the target audio files in an audio editor, edit the volume, and save. As for audio editors, Sound Forge is a good commercial choice; Audacity is a good free choice. I've already changed some of the audio files to suit my needs (now I have music playing while driving the boat ;-) ). Don't redistribute the modified files though - I don't think Paul would like that.
gonefishin

Postby SloughCreekKid » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:13 am

gonefishin wrote:This would be an easy fix. Just open the target audio files in an audio editor, edit the volume, and save. As for audio editors, Sound Forge is a good commercial choice; Audacity is a good free choice. I've already changed some of the audio files to suit my needs (now I have music playing while driving the boat ;-) ). Don't redistribute the modified files though - I don't think Paul would like that.

I appreciate the suggestion....I installed Audacity and tried that. Unfortunately it didn't help as the three drag-fast.medium,slow files were already at 1.0 full playback volume (unless I was reading it all wrong). I played back about 10 other sound files (that was kind of fun) they were all very very loud in playback. And you could see the blue "volume" vertical bars were wide (tall). Then the drag files were very narrow vertical bars along the horizontal line. Just seems like they were recorded that soft. (I don't know all the technical terms...sorry).

When you changed some sudio files, as you said, would that mean that if I got a microphone (can't believe I don't have one) that I could open the drag-slow file for instance, and then record my own drag sound, pulling line out of a reel I own, and export that with the same file name and that would be what would play? :?: :?: If so...that actually sounds like a fun project. 8)

Thanks....
SloughCreekKid

Postby gonefishin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 am

SloughCreekKid wrote:
gonefishin wrote:When you changed some sudio files, as you said, would that mean that if I got a microphone (can't believe I don't have one) that I could open the drag-slow file for instance, and then record my own drag sound, pulling line out of a reel I own, and export that with the same file name and that would be what would play? :?: :?: If so...that actually sounds like a fun project. 8)

Thanks....

Whoa... no need to make a big project out of this. It's very simple to do. I'm not too familiar with Audacity, but in Sound Forge, you can simply up the volume by increasing the db (decibels) which will cause the sound waves (which you can see when you load the audio files) to get bigger on screen and thus sound louder. There is no 'max' volume. A 6 db boost should be all that is needed. Going too high with the volume boosts will distort the sound beyond recognition.

gonefishin

Postby SloughCreekKid » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks...I am new to a lot of software usage.

I found Audacity totorials/help and found the comperable thing. I did effects/amplify and increased it to a good volume relative to other sounds.

Unfortunately, everything I have done has not altered the sound in the game. So I am still figuring that part out.

I Opened file...as well I imported the .wav file, increased volume and exported to same place with unchanged name. NO difference. Then I tried project save then export...nothing so I am defintely missing a step.

I may need to try Sound Forge if the steps there are a little more straight forward.

I will try again tomorrow....thanks again.....really. :P
SloughCreekKid

Return to VR Sportfishing