finding out more about the game

News about Pishtech's upcoming ice fishing game

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

finding out more about the game

Postby oxquo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:32 am

I am somewhat enjoying this demo, but am kinda curious as to what the Full version has to offer. Is there just the one derby or other lakes as well. Is there a fish record section? How about the possibility of add ons such as species? I am suprised at this game and its addictiveness but seeing all that RWFF has to offer and how it has grown, it would be a shame if this demo was all there was to the game. The chance to buy the big auger, shiners and the Pikemeister would be nice but I am with hopes there is more....
oxquo

Re: finding out more about the game

Postby paul » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:33 am

Hi. The main difference with the full version is that you have access to all the equipment, which gives you a much better chance of earning enough and surviving all five days as the weather gets dangerously cold.

It's true that this game hasn't grown anything like Real World Fly Fishing, but maybe that could change. Overall Ice Fishing Derby is designed to be more casual, more entertaining, and fun to the point of being addictive, but less of a serious simulation, so it would appeal to a wider range of people than just those who enjoy real ice fishing. On the other hand I've heard from several people who would like a game to give them more direct control over where to fish, how deep to fish, controlling the rod, reel and drag setting while playing a fish, etc. Perhaps the best approach would be to give the game two modes: casual (as it is now) and serious (more direct control.) Today the full version has only the one lake, but if we had a more serious ice fishing mode then it would certainly make sense to support multiple lakes, each with different habitats and fish populations. And if you can pick where to fish, it would make sense to let you drive a truck or snowmobile on the lake too.

That's starting to sound like a design for Ice Fishing Derby 2. The big question that brings up is: How many people would buy a serious ice fishing simulation? In other words, how much overlap is there between real ice anglers and gamers or potential gamers?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby richwest » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 am

Paul,

That's gonna sound more like VR sportsfishing, winter edition!
It would be a nice virtue.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby bgbdwlf » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:31 am

Love the game and look forward to its update. It is hard to find a good icefishing game anywhere. It would be nice if you could have a map of the lake with contours, some choice of jigs, some spring bobbers, different tournaments to progress to via different lakes. Maybe have longer times on the ice each day of the 5 day tournament or at least the choice of longer days. I love the camera as well. Honestly this game has some great options and graphics, I hope it progresses into somthing better and better all the time. There are lots of ice fishing nuts out there like me looking for somthing like this when there is no ice. Good job and I will keep checking this site out for updates, thanks.

bgbdwlf
bgbdwlf

Postby Rico » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:37 am

I would really like to see more options. Those ideas are great in my opinion.

The choice of what lures to use would also be a great option.

Looking forward to Ice Fishing Derby 2 :wink: :)
Rico

Postby icefisher » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:42 am

I'm a keen icefisherman and have been waiting for a decent ice fishing game and it is nice to see this one.

I've played the full game for about 10 derbies and enjoy the game.

I do think that having some options would be good for instance the ability to just fish for a day or a set time with different equipment you select.

Having a lake map and the ability to chose where you would move to would be great. Having some lures as well as bait would be make it more reasistic as well.

Multiple lakes would be super with different fish populations.

My only complaint about the game is that periodically you get a fish gridlock under your hole. This is not very realistic when it happens and its annoying as you either just have to wait until all the fish disapate or move to a different spot.

But all in all for folks who like ice fishing I would say this is a decent simulation thats worth the money to buy the full game.

Tight lines...........<')(((((((::{
icefisher

Postby tomtom » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 pm

I have tested it...
Graphics: 2 of 6
Game-control: 3 of 6
Idea: 4 of 6
Addiction: 5 of 6
total: 3 of 6

The luck-factor (random trading posibilities) is higher than the skill-factor (at least in the demo, when max income a day is 200). There is only one game mode, no way of interactive playing with others... The graphics are static (stiff fish and people), and offers few nyances (sun/shadows). I miss a 1st and/or 3rd person view, where you can controll the camera. A "Wall of fame" e.g. in the bait-shop, where the biggest fish catched from all species are displayed would be nice. Still a game with potential..

my high score in the demo: 2076,06 (after 6 runs)
tomtom

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:51 pm

was not expecting my post to be that long =O
list continued

*artificial lures (need more jigging but you only need to buy once unless you break the line)

*cisco deadbait for huge lake trout

*whitefish or cisco to catch (bites good on grubs, small jigs, and, for the whitefish, small minnows)

*grayling

*rivers with places that you can fall in =O auto day end if you fall in and loose all or most of your fish

list end
reelfish074

Return to Ice Fishing Derby