Sneak peek: Screenshots and video

News about Pishtech's upcoming ice fishing game

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Sneak peek: Screenshots and video

Postby paul » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Some screenshots and a video preview are now on-line:

http://www.pishtech.com/ifddev/

There's still a lot to do, but this will give you a taste. Feel free to post comments.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 pm

Wow Paul,

Just took a look at the pictures, they look very good.

Nice filmtrailer too.

It's no real world fly fishing, but i think it will be as much fun,

can't wait to try it out!

Regards Richard

Postby Pitti » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi Paul,

it looks very nice. :)

The only thing I do not like are underwater-views.
I don't know if it is possible. I would prefer a skill level without it.

Anyway, it will be funny, I'm sure. :)

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby dcarp » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Paul,

Looks great! The screenshots and video look ver promising!

Can't wait to give it a try.

DCarp (Dave)
dcarp

Postby paul » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks, folks. The underwater view won't always be available to the player. One of the pieces of equipment you can earn is a "Fish-o-Peeker", an underwater camera system similar to an AquaVu. That's a submersible video camera on a cable, with a compact monitor. For ice fishing you can drill a second hole in the ice next to your fishing hole and drop the camera down, then position it so you've got a real-time view of your bait. They're a lot of fun to use since you can make sure there are at least fish around, and even when the fish aren't biting you at least have something to watch. In the game the underwater view will be available only once you've acquired the camera system, so there's fishing with and without it.

Some of the other views in the video may not be available to the player in the finished game, either. The video includes some clips of just touring the lake, the bait shop, etc. A lot will change - more fishermen on the lake and in the bait shop, more species of fish, scenes of setting up a shanty, drilling a hole, etc. And lots of things can happen to keep it interesting. You'll need a heater and shanty to stay warm, and other fishermen may offer trades of fish for equipment or money, etc.

Here's the scenario: There's a 5 day tournament. Big fish like pike and walleyes require better and more expensive equipment to catch than small stuff like bluegills. Each fish is worth a certain amount of money, from a few cents per inch for bluegills to several dollars per inch for pike. Earning money from the fish you catch lets you upgrade your equipment for the next day of the tournament. The catch is that the weather is getting much colder each day, so that by the last day of the tournament you need a good shanty (portable fishing shelter), good quality heater and a supply of propane to stay warm or you'll freeze to death. If you do well and make the right choices, you could win big money. Do poorly and you won't survive. There's a good mix of luck and skill, and the skill is more in making the right decisions than in the fishing itself. There are also elements of comedy throughout the game that I don't want to give away just yet.

A few years back I explored the concept for the gameplay in a simple text game. Each turn uses a certain amount of time, and you can spend it fishing, moving to a new spot, etc. Even in simple text the game was really addictive. The people who tested it often played game after game, and some are still playing it after several years. My intention was always to get the concept worked out with the text prototype and eventually build a graphical game around it. Last fall I decided to do it in full 3D. It's a big project, but I think it's going to be a really fun game when it's finished.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby wasteelhunter » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:42 am

Absolutely amazing. The entire tournament idea and upgrading gear/ equipment sounds like a huge ammount of fun. It's nice idea to just go out on the ice looking for the monsters to earn enough cash for that next upgrade you want to get the even bigger ones.

The non-serious side of fishing looks to be a lot of fun. Great work, as always. I've got my coffee ready and waiting, can't wait to go fishing on this one.

Jerome
wasteelhunter

Postby Cutch » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Looks fun and challenging,.....thanks, Paul. :wink:
Visit my website,
CUTCH'S CAMP
Cutch

Postby samoyedsrule » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:17 pm

wow, that is looking great.looking forward to it.
samoyedsrule

Postby ororomicha » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Paul,
This looks quite intruiging, not only that, you have given us a behind
the scenes peek at how a game is structured. I thought a lot of work went
into a project, now I have some idea of the effort involved. Looking forward to seeing the finished item. Thanks for your preview. :lol: :wink:
'TIGHT LINES'
Mike O'rorke. - Chelmsford - U.K.
ororomicha

Postby Boston Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 am

Paul: I can't wait to go ice fishing...I'll bring my Johnny Black to keep me warm. I'll purchase this game when its ready. Don't forget, you promised me a bass game in the future.

Take care, buddy
Boston Bob
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

Postby paul » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Yep, I remeber promising that bass game. And an open water multi-species fishing game (including both fly fishing and conventional tackle) is next in the pipeline. It will give you that bass fix. Part of the reason I'm doing the ice fishing game is to develop the 3D programming and modeling skills I'll need for more demanding future games. It turns out the ice fishing game includes more advanced modeling and animation that I anticipated, so I'm really getting an education.

Besides gaining the 3D skills from this project I'm getting a lot from it that will really help in the next game: I've developed animated models of fish, a spinning reel and rods, people, trees, vegetation, etc. A great deal of what I've been creating will become parts of future games. And many parts of the next game will be easier now that I know my way around the tools and the engine. For instance, modeling a fishing boat will be a lot easier than an ice shanty. A shanty sounds pretty simple; after all, a lot of them are basically just cubes. But a fishing boat (unlike a portable ice shanty) has a huge advantage: It doesn't have to fold up into a sled. =)

I don't want to give away much about the open water game yet, but I can tell you it will feature a lot of things you don't find in other fishing games. It will let you fish from a boat, including casting, still fishing, and trolling. You'll also be able to wade or fish from shore. You'll have lots of artificial lures, live bait, and fly tackle too. And as for fishing locations, you'll never run out of new waters to explore. The fish behavior and feeding patterns will be more sophisticated and realistic than that in any other fishing game. I wish I could share all the details now - there's some really exiting stuff that will go into that one, but I've got to get the ice fishing game finished first.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby richwest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Paul,

I think, and a lot of others too, you are saying to much with this, now you made us very curious and I (we) can't wait to here more!!

Take your time... but make it snappy :lol:

Regards Richard.
richwest

Postby Boston Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Paul: That Bass game sound terrific. Work on the Ice Fishing game first and get that right. Then make the Bass Fishing game something we all can be proud of. I know it will be a great game.

When you get the Bass game ready, I'll help Beta test it for you.

Your buddy from the East Coast,
Boston Bob
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

Return to Ice Fishing Derby