Update progress

News about Pishtech's upcoming ice fishing game

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Update progress

Postby paul » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Just a quick note to let you know about progress on the upcoming update of Ice Fishing Derby. So far I've rebuilt the lake with more realistic and more interesting structure. After the update you will have 3 modes of play: Arcade is the simplest, and it will play like the game plays now. The next mode is more of a simulation: you walk manually to wherever you want to fish, and the fish population is determined by the depth, cover, etc, so you can learn the lake and eventually find your own hot spots for various species, and return to those spots. You can raise and lower your bait to fish at any depth, and you can raise and lower your underwater camera to look for fish at different depths. Lastly there will be a mode that is most realistic, in which you won't have offers for trades from other fishermen.

Some changes will effect all modes: You'll find areas with a rock bottom, others with mud. The vegetation is more realistic, and there's more variation in vegetation density. There will be improvements to the fish AI, some of the fish models and fishermen models. The landscape texture is also improved.

Most of that is currently finished, but before the update I'm going to add a second lake choice, which will include some trout in the deeper water. That lake will have rainbow trout instead of walleyes, and big lake trout instead of northern pike.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Update progress

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:51 pm

sounds awesome! just wondering, are any of the updates for demo version?
reelfish074

Postby paul » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm

I haven't decided yet what changes will apply to the demo version. It's likely the demo version will get a time limit, though, so the game won't let you fish after a person has fished for a certain length of time.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby icefisher » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:02 am

Hi Paul,

The update sounds great, I am really looking forward to it.

Any idea when you will be able to deliver the update.

Thanks
icefisher

Postby paul » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Right now I'm hoping it will be ready (at least for testing) around the 24th, but I can't promise that. I really, really hope to be done with this update before the end of the month. As of now the second lake is done, the trout are in there, and you can now own both the camera and flasher at the same time, which is very helpful if you're looking for lake trout in over 100 feet of water.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby reelfish074 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:26 pm

this sounds awesome! im still praying some of it will be demo version also :P
reelfish074

Postby icefisher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:39 am

Paul,

That's great to hear I am really looking forward to the update.

I do a lot of icefishing for trout so the 2nd lake sounds great.

My experience is that while rainbows will be found in deep water sometimes there are more commonly in water with weeds and depths down to 30'. Additionally, they often suspend in water 10 to 15' deep and cruise around the lake in the 5' just under the ice. They often follow lures being slowly retrieved from the bottom up.

Lake trout are often in much deeper water but also suspend where they can find baitfish and white fish.

Whatever you do is going to add some new dimensions to the game and will be fun to explore.

tight lines............Doug
icefisher

Postby paul » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:14 pm

That sounds pretty close to the behavior I'm setting up for the trout. Right now I've got the rainbows most abundant in about 30 feet of water, but I'll get some more into the shallows too. It's been years since I've ice fished for rainbows and I recall catching most of them in 20 to 30 feet. I've got the lakers mostly concentrated in the 90-120' range, with a few of them shallower than that. There will be a key to speed up time by a factor of 5, so it won't take so long to wait for your bait to sink do that far.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby scotterson » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:16 am

when is this coming out sounds awsome.

I HAVE REMOVED AN OBSCENE WORD FROM THIS POST
THERE IS NO NEED FOR ABUSIVE LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM
WE HAVE WOMEN AND CHILDREN AS MEMBERS
IF IT PERSISTS YOU MAY BE BANNED
REGARDS MARTIN Scottish Warrior
scotterson

Postby scotterson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:47 am

my bad
scotterson

Postby paul » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Today's the day I'd hoped to release the update for beta testing. It's very close, but not quite there. All the new functionality is done, but I'm still finding some minor bugs to fix. It should be ready tomorrow or Sunday. I've got to say I'm having fun testing in simulation mode. Those deep water lake trout are a challenge, but once you have a flasher it helps a lot.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to Ice Fishing Derby