Packaging content for FFSHD

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Packaging content for FFSHD

Postby paul » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Content creators,

Here's the first step towards making your outings/fish/food/sounds available for Fly Fishing Simulator HD users:

Download the FFSHD Content Packager: http://www.flyfishingsimulator.com/ffsh ... ckager.zip

Copy the application from the zip file to the folder where you want to create packages for FFSHD. Run the application.

IMPORTANT: Use an unencrypted copy of your content for building FFSHD packages. Content encrypted by the RWFF tools won't work in FFSHD.

To package an outing, use the browse button ("..." to the right of the text edit field) and select the outing.def file in the folder you want to package. Click "Build Content Package".
To package a fish species, use the browse button ("..." to the right of the text edit field) and select the fish.def file in the folder you want to package. Click "Build Content Package".
To package a food item, use the browse button ("..." to the right of the text edit field) and select the food.def file in the folder you want to package. Click "Build Content Package".
To package a sound file, use the browse button ("..." to the right of the text edit field) and select the wav or mp3 file you want to package. Click "Build Content Package".

To package a collection of multiple types of content, create a folder with all the content you want to include. Include a subfolders called "outings", "fish", "food", "sound", and include outings, fish species, food items and sounds to be packaged there. The name of your combined folder will be the name of the package.

Content naming guidelines:

Use your name or some other unique a prefix for all your content. For example, if you create a greenback cutthroat trout, and your nickname is "the Dude", name your fish folder the-dude_greenbackcutthroattrout.

I'll reply to this post with instructions for how to distribute your custom content.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Packaging content for FFSHD

Postby Cutch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:06 pm

This will not work for my Windows Pro 7, right Paul,...only Windows 8 & 10?
Cutch

Postby rwwalleye » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi Cutch,
You're right it only works on Windows 8 and 10.
Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby paul » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:55 pm

The packaging tool is very old school and simple, and that should run even on XP, I think. The actual product, Fly Fishing Simulator HD, will only work on WIndows 8 and 10 however.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Content creators,

I've released an update for Android and Windows that supports custom content (iOS still pending... coming soon.) Users of the Premium version for Windows, or who purchase the Unlimited Subscription on the mobile versions can tap "download rivers", tap "download from other servers", and add the URL for any number of content servers.

So you've created outings, fish, sound and/or food files you want to share. You've used the instructions above to create a content package. So how to you set up a content server?

Just create a text file listing the URL for each package, followed by its description in this JSON format:

{
"outings_to_download":
[
{"url":"http://www.mywebsite.com/outing_CoonCreek.dat", "desc":"Coon Creek, WI (non-HD)\nWild brown trout feeding at\nsunrise on a driftless region stream"},
{"url":"http://www.mywebsite.com/outing_SquirrelCreek.dat", "desc":"Squirrel Creek, NJ\nA stream I just made up, but\nthere are probably squirrels here"}
]
}

If you upload that text file to http://www.mywebsite.com/content_server.txt, then users can simply enter http://www.mywebsite.com/content_server.txt into the app to see and download your content.

You can package and distribute content made for RWFF, at 1024x768 pixel resolution, or higher resolution outings. FFSHD should handle outings of any resolution.

If users install an outing but are missing a fish species, food item or sound, the outing will still run, but the app will display warnings about the missing files for a few seconds. Once people have set up a server or two for fan created content, I'll add a message to the app directing them to the Pishtech forum to find content servers. It will be much easier than ever for casual users to use custom content, so I suspect we'll see far more people using it than we've seen before.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby William Feltham » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Paul cannot make any sense on packaging content for ffshd tried a few times still no luck
help needed. lost all my rwff when my computer crashed and since I am on windows 10 cant install them anymore.
regard's. william
William Feltham

Postby rwwalleye » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi William,
When I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8 then to Windows 10 when you go to download the game you must do a compatibility check for RWFF then you must make a separate file and list as Games and download the game to that file. A few things you need to know also is the game will not allow you to tie flies plus to play the game go to options and reduce the screen to 800 X 600 and the game should work but it will only take up about 2/3 rds of the screen. I hope this helps in retrieving RWFF plus also you will have to go through and do the updates like before. As for the packaging content for FFSHD Paul would be the one to help you on that.
Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby William Feltham » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:52 pm

HI rwwalleye I had to back to a clean install only thing left on desktop was the rubbish bin
I installed rwff disc1 and disc3 windows10 says cant install them incompatible and as I had a blank desktop I cant do anything about it.
regards
william.
William Feltham

Postby rwwalleye » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi William,
If when you go to the setup for RWFF if I'm not mistaken do a right click on the mouse and a screen should show up and say check compatibility. Follow the directions from there and hopefully it will get you to download. It may say compatibility to Widows XP or a few other choices. Try each one and it should download then. I had the same problem when I went to Windows 8 and then again to Windows 10. Took me a few tries but i eventually got it.
Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby paul » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:47 pm

For anyone developing content for FFSHD, here's an updated outing creation tool: http://www.pishtech.com/outing_tool_3_3_2017.zip

This zip file includes everything needed to compile and configure outings. Just unzip it into a new folder, and run OutingTool.exe.

It supports site images of any resolution, and is a little more stable than earlier builds.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to RWFF Development