Yellowstone National Park

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Yellowstone National Park

Postby Anguis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 am

Hi, folks,

This summer, my family was able to spend about a week at Yellowstone. Regarding our impressions, suffice it to say that my wife and I had withdrawal symptoms for several weeks after our return to MN (we had managed to arrive, completely accidentally, at the height of the salmonfly hatch - unbelievable; managed to land brookies in the small streams and rainbows in the Gardner and my oldest son got his first trout 'on the fly' there, as well - small stream brookies; apparently, the cutthroats in the Yellowstone had seen too many salmonfly imitations by the time I got around to trying for them, there. . .or their bellies were full).

Well, of course, now I'm on the hunt for RWFF Yellowstone outings. I do have a few, but a search using 'Yellowstone National Park' nets only four pertinent results. 'Yellowstone' looks like it gets a few more good results. Any chance you all know how to come up with a list of all the Yellowstone outings available via the forum search? Does 'Yellowstone' return the complete list?

By the way, the Sw Firehole River link is broken. Anyone have a copy available? :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Anguis
Last edited by Anguis on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday, we'll get back to Yellowstone. . .
Anguis

Re: Yellowstone National Park

Postby rwwalleye » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 am

Hi Anguis,
Sounds like a perfect vacation. My dream vacation some day. My e-mail is bowden@pwrtc.com send me your email and I will send you any of the Yellowstone outings. Try fishing the Congo outing for the Christmas Tournament. Well will wait to hear from you. Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:19 am

Hi Anguis:

Yes, you were in God's country as far as trout fishing goes. When you fished the Gardiner River you were only 80 miles South of my ranch, which is located 8 miles North of Livingston, Montana. We have over 5000 miles of Blue Ribbon Trout Streams in Montana and you were lucky to have hit one of the rare Salmonfly hatches which only occurs at various parts of the river for a few days. Fishing the Salmon Fly hatch can be one of the most exhilarating experience in any trout fisherman's life. Big fish, usually deep and rarely seen, will come to the surface and attack the insect in rare recklessness. It is hand and knee shaking time for the serious trout fisherman. I am glad you and your son had a great time and he caught his first trout on a fly. That is a great introduction to fly and trout fishing.

I think Martin has made a couple of outings based on the Yellowstone Park rivers. I also made an outing called the Mighty Yellowstone a couple of years ago. I might just have a special treat for you as I have in my library an outing called the "Upper Yellowstone River" which I completed sometime ago but never published. You will be familiar with some of the scenes as they were from the Yellowstone River North of Gardiner. Maybe after we complete the Christmas Challenge I will put the finishing touches on this outing and publish it. You can see the video I made for this outing via this YouTube link.

http://youtu.be/c0yDKwuluoY

Have fun competing in the Christmas tournament. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Anguis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 am

Thanks, guys!

Roger, I'll PM you, shortly. As far as dream vacations go, it'll surpass expectations, I believe. I hope you get to go, soon. I'm working on a way to get back (I'd actually like to go with my wife in the winter). When you do go, make sure you travel the Beartooth Highway. We ended up on it on our way to the interstate as we exited the park, not knowing anything about it, nothing about what we were in for - absolutely jaw-dropping. I feel a little guilty that I got to see it and hadn't known about it in time to tell the rest of my family to check it out before we all left.

'Upper Yellowstone' looks like another winner, Stanley. That'd be nice to try after the tourney. Any chance that stream in your sig would make an appearance? :)
Someday, we'll get back to Yellowstone. . .
Anguis

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 am

Hi Anguis:

Actually you live in one of my favorite States in the US. Minnesota has to be paradise for fishing enthusiasts as well. However, once you saw the wonders of the Yellowstone Valley and the Park your heart will be captured for ever. :lol: The flyfishing legend, Dan Bailey, was actually a physics Professor teaching in New York. When he visited the Yellowstone Valley with his wife one Summer he decided to stay in Montana because it had everything that he was looking for in his life and he never returned to the East Coast again. The rest is now history! :P

You have great eyes for outings. Yes, the picture under my sig is actually a scene from an outing called the "River of No Return". As you know this is the Salmon River in Idaho made famous by Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum, starring in a Hollywood Western movie of the same name. It was a special outing that I made as a gift to our good friend Marc who had to temporarily retire from RWFF due to some unforeseen health issues. If there is enough interest for this outing I will certainly publish it some day for all to enjoy. There is a special effect that comes with this outing but I will not say what it is for now. I think you will be delighted and surprised.

Good luck fishing in the VFFL tournament. Hope to see a good score from you soon!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to RWFF Development