Fish Placement Tip

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Fish Placement Tip

Postby dcarp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:31 pm

This is actually a tip in response to Striker's question in another thread on the forum, but I thought I'd try to move that conversation over here to the development area.

His concern was in fish placement and wanting to have the ability to place fish manually rather than the random way in which fish show up in the outing.

Correct any of this if I'm off base Paul...................

I was able to place fish, to some degree, by manipulating the depth, perspective, and fish quanity, min & max length settings until I liked where the fish showed up. Having fished the sites in the outings in real life, I had a pretty good idea where they should be. In some cases the result did not accurately depict the water depth in the end, but I got the fish where I wanted them. It was a trade-off that I felt was worthwhile.

Now, having said that, I want that to serve as a warning and disclaimer! If any of you head for the Brietenbush and expect the water to be 3 ft. deep in a particular place and you end up in over your waders, do not come crying to me! :D :D :D Enter the water at your own risk and remember that the depth inaccuracy was for the sake of the game.

Tight lines.

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:12 pm

That's what I did too, Dave, in my McKenzie Outing with Paul's help. Again, it didn't come out exactly like I wanted the placement, but a lot better than it would have if Paul hadn't helped me. (Thanks again, Paul) :wink:
Cutch

Postby Striker » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 pm

Hey thanks Dave!

I also notice that alot of times the fish seem to gather mostly at the bottom of the screen. Is that because I have my perspective set too low?
Striker

Postby dcarp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:30 pm

Striker,

It can be a combination of things, possibly your perspective setting. Also check the depth at that location. If in your .def you have the fish depth preference set to 3 ft (for example) and the only area of your site that has 3 ft. of water is towards the bottom of the screen, that's where your fish will be randomly placed.

You could also try putting a sizable "island" or multple islands in the mapdepth bmp image that coresponds to the depth setting in the .def file.

Hope this helps.

Dave
dcarp

Return to RWFF Development