Question about the fish allocation on each site

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Question about the fish allocation on each site

Postby zart » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi guys! I have little complication with my first venue. It's a shallow bay of the big freshwater reservoir. Ide, rudd, asp, perch, bullhead, chub, bleak and small breams are living there in real life. When i adding them to the file fish.def file all is compiling as well, without any errors. Then I could observe them via Outing Creation tool. But... when im starting to play only first specie described in the list could be catched. Is it something i missed or did wrong? Here is certain copy of my fish.def file:

// FISH GROUP:
FOLDER=Rudd
QUANTITY=250
ACTIVITY=90
SPOOKINESS=10
SELECTIVITY=20
MIN LENGTH=4
MAX LENGTH=11
DEPTH=2
CRUISING SPEED=2
CRUISING PAUSE=10

// FISH GROUP:
FOLDER=Minnow
QUANTITY=300
ACTIVITY=100
SPOOKINESS=0
SELECTIVITY=10
MIN LENGTH=1
MAX LENGTH=2
DEPTH=1
CRUISING SPEED=2
CRUISING PAUSE=2

// FISH GROUP:
FOLDER=Asp
QUANTITY=3
ACTIVITY=40
SPOOKINESS=50
SELECTIVITY=50
MIN LENGTH=5
MAX LENGTH=20
DEPTH=1
CRUISING SPEED=3
CRUISING PAUSE=2

// FISH GROUP:
FOLDER=Perch
QUANTITY=20
ACTIVITY=80
SPOOKINESS=10
SELECTIVITY=10
MIN LENGTH=4
MAX LENGTH=8
DEPTH=2

zart

Re: Question about the fish allocation on each site

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Zart:

A warm welcome to our Forum. Good to see you are doing well with your first outing. There is a limit of how many fish you can put into the scenes. I think 20 fish is the maximum (combined total of all fish species). You have way too many specified in your fish definition, e.g. 300 Minnows and 250 Rudd. Reduce those numbers and you will be able to catch the other species. Give that a try and let us know if your outing works after you made the adjustments. :P

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stanley (Yellowstone7)
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby zart » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi Stanley!

Thank you a lot for a warm welcome!
And thanks again, it helps! Now thinking about correct species balance.

One more question. What about specific interest of fish group to one or more baits? as far as i understood it could be set directly after each group like:

FOLDER=Ide
QUANTITY=4
ACTIVITY=80
SPOOKINESS=10
SELECTIVITY=20
MIN LENGTH=3
MAX LENGTH=15
DEPTH=2
CRUISING SPEED=2
CRUISING PAUSE=5
MAYFLY_NYMPH=70

but when i proceeding with this i see no particular interst to mayfly nymphs.
is it depends more from hatch settings or it depends directly from the particular fish specie and encrypted into the game files?

thanks for a patient ;)
Cheers,
Andriy.
Kyiv, Ukraine.
zart

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Andriy:

Welcome back. Always glad to help another outing builder. :P

The fish interest in various food items (throughout the outing) will depend on the hatch definition if you didn't do anything else. You can set the items to "0" if you don't want the fish to be interested in those items.

For example, a shark or grouper will probably not take a floating fly like a mayfly. You can adjust the values within the food items to increase, or reduce the fish interest. In most ocean or salt water outings I set the floating food items to "0" as most of the ocean fish would probably not take a floating fly.

However, in certain sites within your outing, if you want your fish to "only" be interested in a certain food item and not in others, copy and paste the entire food preference list and paste it under the specific fish in that particular scene. Then set all the food items to "0" and leave the preferred food items (like your mayfly-nymph) at a higher setting, like your "70". After you do this the Ide fish will ignore the other food items and will feed only on the mayfly-nymph.

Of course you can also adjust the preference values in the food item list (a general setting for all the scenes), then the fish will "prefer" the higher number setting more than the others. But they will take the other food items as well. :P

Good luck and have fun with your settings! Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby zart » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi, Stanley. Thanks again for the best advice!

all is working now closely to how i want. just one thing is confusing. it seems like 20 is little bit stern limitation for each venue. after i caught 10 fishes fishing became very boring )
or "20" is empiric value and fish quantity value is the percentage of the each fish specie in the location?

hope that soon my venue will be ready and i would like to share it with al rwff fans.
zart

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Andriy:

Good going and I am impressed. :P You seem to have mastered the outing creation techniques in a very short time! This is very unusual as there are so many little things about outing creation that it get a little confusing for most people making their first outings.You have done very well indeed!!

The limit of 20 fish per scene (I believe) is a built-in limitation of the RWFF software. You can have any combination of fish species as long as it does not exceed the magic number of 20. You can put more fish than that into the outing but it will only recognize the first 20. (as you have found out!) SW uses many fish species in his outing but he has to do some work within each site folder (e.g. fish.def) and get the numbers to 20 or under. So in theory you can have 20 different fish species in your main fish.def file, and then edit each one of the sites to only have a maximum of 20 fish per site.

There is a Pin Up by Paul at the top of the RWFF Forum asking for feature suggestions for the forthcoming RWFF V.4?? Maybe you can put in a request there so we can used more than 20 fish per site.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you are our first Forum member from Ukraine. I am very excited to see your new outing. I believe you have some beautiful streams and waterways there!

Good luck and if there is anything else that I can help you with please let me know! :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby zart » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Stanley, it's not hard for me because i am professional QA engineer and former software developer. so maybe something is left in my sclerotic head ;)
anyway im very glad to meet you and other guys here, in this peaceful and comfortable atmosphere!

now few words concerning current fishing situation in Ukraine. of course we have a lot of beautiful places for fishing, different river types, large reservoirs and lakes. but in the same time we have big problem with poachers, so trophy fishing currently is a kind of dream in our country.
im old fan of the fishing computer games and im always aiming to create realistic venues for it. so the thing is that we don't have too much of trophies on each venue which i planning to create. i don't know would it be interested for the entire rwff community. is it so?
for example on venue which im creating (shallow bay of the large reservoir on river Dnipro) there are a lot of rudd, ide and some chubs. but max. size for each is 1 pound. commonly it's 5-6 oz. but anyway fly fishing in the places like this could be very interesting especially with light tackle.
second place which im planning to release is a small forest chalkstream. said but we don't have trout and graylings here, in Ukraine species like this inhabits only the mountain streams, lakes and rivers. so the main species on this chalk stream are daces, chubs, roaches, gudgeons and bleaks. rarely pikes, perches, crucians and ides could be cought.
then i will think about beatiful mountain river, home of the grayling and huchen. hope i'll have enough free time to create it quickly )

There is a Pin Up by Paul at the top of the RWFF Forum asking for feature suggestions for the forthcoming RWFF V.4?? Maybe you can put in a request there so we can used more than 20 fish per site.

thanks! i will thought about this and maybe some other feature suggestions and then will put it. hope it helps to make game development better.
zart

Postby zart » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm

sorry, maybe it's would be interesting for someone. here are few snapshots of the places mentioned above.

zart

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Andriy:

I am glad you liked our little Forum. Thanks for posting the beautiful photos of Ukraine. You seem to be an expert photographer too! Can't wait to try your outing now! It will be a beautiful virtual fishing adventure for everyone on the RWFF Forum. We have all kinds of fisherman on our RWFF Forum. Some prefer catching the big trophy fish while others enjoy realistic fishing experiences in some far off exotic land so you new outing will be a nice addition to our extensive collection of outings.

As for myself I enjoy all kinds of outings, whether they are a replica of real fishing conditions, or an outrageous fantasy outings which can only exist in someone's dream or imagination. I think there is room for all kinds of fishing experiences and this is exactly what makes the outings, and the RWFF forum interesting and stimulating.

I live in the concrete jungle of Hong Kong now but I had the good fortune to have spent many years in Montana and Idaho in the US and I was able to enjoy the many Blue Ribbon streams found in these two Western States. Trophy Brown Trout and Rainbow live in these waters and it was great fun catching those when the season and the fishing conditions were just right. Not much to catch in Hong Kong now except for people and money. LOL

Being a software developer I am sure we can benefit from your knowledge and experience and some suggestions from you will be great. Please don't be shy and made some suggestions on the Forum. I am sure Paul will appreciate your ideas as well.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Scottish Warrior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Andriy,
I like Stanley Welcome you to the little Club and concur with all he has written.
I am on holiday at the moment and with an Intermittent connex from the Philippines I will leave you in the very capable hands of Stanley,who will guide you in the right direction on all matters.
The photos you posted are first class and you should produce some awesome outings and I wish you all the success in your future discovery of all of the features of this brilliant game created by Paul.
As Stanley said "help is only a post or a PM away" so do not be afraid to ask and we will help as best we can.
Once again, Welcome To The Club".
Regards Martin aka Scottish Warrior.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby zart » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi, Martin! Nice to meet you here ) thanks for the welcome, i will try to confirm expectaitions you mentioned above ;)
currently guys i have not so much free time as i want to have but slowly start to work on first normal outing. and of course will ask you again and again because all couldn't be clear in short terms.
by the way, is there a "library" for custom outings accesible for entire the world? seems like i missed it..
zart

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi Andriy:

Martin is having a nice warm holiday in the Philippines with his family.... envy... envy! He has limited broadband over there so we won't hear much from him until he returns to the UK. I am sure he has been taking a lot of pictures there and we will soon see some new Philippines outings on our Forum.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a world library in our Forum although it would be great to have one. I am sure you are aware that we do have a Club House and many outings can be found there. Richard stopped updating the Club House about a year ago when he ran out of space on his server. Most of the new outings and fish species can be found in the Development Forum. It is a pain to find all the stuff but this will be something that we have to live with until something is done about updating the files in the Club House.

Looking forward to fishing your new outing from Ukraine!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to RWFF Development