Improvements to fish feeding behavior?

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Improvements to fish feeding behavior?

Postby paul » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm planning an update to both the game and the OCK that would give creators more control over how the fish will feed. One thing I'm considering would be:

In stead of having an set of feeding values for each food in the fish.def file that override the ones in hatches.def, the values in fish.def would have a relative effect on the hatches.def values, including applying to specific hatches. For example:

Say hatches.def includes a hatch of brown caddis, with the feeding level set to 90%. Suppose the default value for caddis adults is 40%. Now suppose you have brook trout and brown trout, and only the brown trout have a feeding value in the fish.def file, and it's set to 50%.

As it is today this means:

A brook trout is at least 40% interested in any fly that imitates a caddis fly. If a fly closely resembles the brown caddis that are hatching the brook trout could be up to 90% interested in that fly. A brown trout would be 50% interested in flies that imitate adult caddis flies, regardless of whether or not they resemble the ones that are hatching.

With this change in place in would mean:

The brook trout behavior is the same as before because there's no caddis fly feeding value in the fish.def file. The brown trout would be 20% (50% of 40%) interested in flies that imitate adult caddis flies, and up to 45% (50% of 90%) interested in ones that resemble the caddis flies that are hatching.

Does that make sense? That would allow specific groups of fish to still be interested in specific hatches, but to varying degrees.

Also, how about an optional favorite color and size for each food type in both the hatches.def and fish.def file? When a fish is considering a fly based on how it matches a particular hatch, it would still compare the color of the artificial to that of the real ones that are hatching. But when a fish considers a fly based on their default level of interest in that food type, it would then compare it to its favorite color for that food. Same goes for size.

Example:

You could set the favorite color of beetles to black, the favorite size to 1 inch, and the default interest to 50%. Even if there are no beetles actually hatching, a fish would only be 50% interested in an artificial fly that resembles a beetle if it's black and around 1 inch in size. The more difference in size and color, the less interested the fish would be. Thus flies that imitate fish eggs would be most effective if they're the right shade of orangish-pink. You could make "miscellaneous swimmers" (attractor wet flies, like traditional salmonflies) most effective when they're light blue, etc. Favorite colors would be expressed in hex values, just like custom rod and line colors.

What do you think? Is that overly complicated to understand and apply? Or would that give you the kind of control of the fish behavior that you wish you had?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby dcarp » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Paul,

Excellent! I like those ideas. I'm still having trouble with that part. The Kokanee and Steelhead both are taking surface flies and I can't seem to get them to leave them alone.

Dave
dcarp

Postby oppimax » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Paul,
I think it's a good idea! :wink:

The concept is quite similar to real life so would be usefull, if needed, to manage in that way the behaviour of fishes.

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Postby oppimax » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Dave,
have a look at the hatches.def file in my saltwater outing (should be decrypted).
I tough to manage in this way the fact my seabass wouldn't catch mayfly or similars.
I think it should work!

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Postby dcarp » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:04 pm

Massimo,

Will do. Thanks.

Dave
dcarp

Postby dcarp » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:01 pm

Massimo,

I looked at your hatches.def file and that makes sense. I can see how your seabass will only take sub-surface offerings.

I don't think that will work in my outings. I have trout and steelhead in one outing and I want them to behave differently. I want the trout to hit surface flies and the steelhead to hit sub-surface flies. Same with the Brietenbush River. I have trout and kokanee. I want the trout to hit surface flies and the kokanee to hit sub-surface.

I've worked around it by making the kokanee and steelhead less active and more selective. The trout will usually beat them to a surface fly.

I think the "idea" is in place to accomplish that in the "Fish.def" file, but it doesn't seem to be working, or I'm doing something wrong.

It sounds like Paul is working on a solution to this issue. Thank you for the tips though. A big thanks to Paul for working up solutions as we find issues in the OCK and FSK! Great work!

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:54 am

As Dave mentioned, if we could get the trout to hit dry flies, and the Steelhead and salmon hit below surface flies, that would solve the problems in these large fast moving northwestern rivers. I spent a couple days tinkering with the settings in the fish and hatches.def files im my McKenzie River Outing, and couldn't get the trout/Steelhead thing right.

We need the faster trout that can explode up from 4 or 5 feet and nail a dry fly in fairly fast water. (feed the trout Wheaties?) Getting fish to suspend would also be helpful. :wink:
Cutch

Return to RWFF Development