A Technical Question for Paul...fish slipping hooks

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

A Technical Question for Paul...fish slipping hooks

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Paul:

We have a question for you. While we were able to keep the big tuna within the screen and they played quite normally. We have had the problem of these fish "slipping the hook" after playing them for a while, even under tension. Maybe you can comment and shed some light on this fish behavior?

So far everyone reported that the big tuna stayed within the screen so the new mapdepth treatment is working. Is there a way to avoid this hook slippage problem or is this part of the design?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Technical Question for Paul...fish slipping hooks

Postby reelemin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Yellowstone i was just curious,are they slipping the hook on all levels or just on expert?I have been very busy here lately and havent had a chance to try it.But i hope to get some fishing in here soon.Good luck taming the big fish.
reelemin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Reelemin:

That is a very good point. I think all of us fish in Expert Mode without thinking about this at all. I will go back and fish in Beginner mode and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the idea. :P :P

If and when you have time to fish, give this a try and let us know what you find. Good luck!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby paul » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 am

The hooks will never slip on beginner, only rarely on experienced, and more often on expert. The chance of the hook slipping out is much higher when the line is slack, but it can still happen under tension. As in real life the longer you play a fish the more the tissue around the hook point gets damaged and the the greater the chance of the hook working loose. Hopefully it's not happening with an unrealistic frequency, but it's something that you should expect occasionally, especially if you're dealing with fish so big for the tackle that they take an hour or more to land.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to RWFF Development