New Outing Sw Saskatchewan River

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

New Outing Sw Saskatchewan River

Postby Scottish Warrior » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am

Dear Fisherfok,Here is the first of a few outings where hopefully there are no problems with fish running to the right.
You are fishing for Sturgeon, Pike, Rainbow, Brook, Brown and Lake Trout.
I hope you enjoy. Regards Martin.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/18/ ... 0River.zip
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Re: New Outing Sw Saskatchewan River

Postby oxquo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Nice to find a familiar site but I have never seen any fish other than, Walleye, sauger, yellow perch, goldeye, mooneye,burbot, sturgeon and pike and seldomly rocky mountain whitefish. This fishery is very polluted for a Canadian river and it is advised only to practice catch and release. Until the latter years of small attempts at stocking browns and the accidental release of rainbows in diefenbaker dam near Saskatoon Saskatchewan creating a world record bow of 43 lbs 6 oz often believed to be the crossing with a steelhead as are most of our stocked rainbows out here. The rainbows stick to diefenbaker lake though and have yet to be caught along the NSR system. The Bow river a tributary of the NSR is a great trout haven on the other hand regardless of pollution rumors. Just a bit of input on this great fishery.

At any rate, love your outings and hard work put into them, can't wait to fish this one hard.
oxquo

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:58 am

Dear Oxquo,
If I can tempt Our Richard into making the Walleye and Sauger species,
I will only be to glad to change the species in this outing to make it more realistic.
I hope you still fish the outing and enjoy, Regards Martin.
v
Scottish Warrior

Postby richwest » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Martin and oxquo,

We already have this, Zander is same as walleye and sauger.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby reelfish074 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:38 pm

not quite, there are some diffrences between sauger, walleyes, and zander. thats like saying perch is the same thing as a zander >.> (btw ling is the same thing as a burbot SW)
reelfish074

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:32 pm

I am totally confused,not difficult for me at 62 years old.
The reason I put Trout in the outing in the first place was because there were no Sauger or Walleye etcetera in the species folder,so I included trout rather than just have only 2 species in the outing.
This may have been a mistake on my part,maybe I should have put Perch or Crappie or Bluegill, but that did not seem right either, now I don't know what to replace the Trout with.
Any help from those in the know would be appreciated and I will do my best to correct this outing.
Regards Martin..
Scottish Warrior

Postby richwest » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Martin,

Take it from me, Sauger Walleye and Zander are all same species,
only different names.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby reelfish074 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:50 pm

richwest wrote:Martin,

Take it from me, Sauger Walleye and Zander are all same species,
only different names.

Regards Richard

no they are not.... all differnt scientific names also.
reelfish074

Postby oxquo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 am

Hey I am happy to have a familiar place to virtual fish. Walleye, Zander and Sauger are all very different claim ichythology. Much like the European perch vs our little tiny yellow perch yet both are perch. Apples and oranges I suppose. As for specimens in the peg? I don't mind at all but I was just just making a point of its species having fished that river for over 30 years and from one end to the other. The average depth in the west is 6-8' deep with holes over 30' such as the one right in Edmonton AB and another right in Saskatoon SK which are two sure spots to land sturgeon, never have on a fly though. Great work on the outing and super nice pictures.

Don't worry about the walleye, zander debate, zander are fine just not as pretty but they get alot larger. a vast majority of people in Canada call walleye, pickerel, which it is not a pickerel at all(aka chain pickerel). So you see confusion runs rampant unless as in aquarium clubs we choose to use latin names for all species which is universally mispronounced and misunderstood entirely hahaha. Oh and unlike zander, walleye dont try to eat fishermen or tourists lol.

In conclusion, the only great point that can be made here is the placement of burbot aka freshwater cod into some of the canadian waters, We have a lot of Burbs in our waters especially the big rivers with deep holes or leading to deep lakes. It's just a cool addition to a freshwater lake is all plus they have the 20lb plus factor. A lot of the species in the north saskatchewan river system and south saskatchewan river system are already created. Yellow perch, zander (close enough to walleye), Pike (not musky though, those are found in eastern canada), Sturgeon, cod(aka burbot). I don't think whitefish, goldeye or mooneye have been created yet in RWFF but those are the 3 most fly fished for fish in the NSR system. Goldeye and mooneye are monstrous in the north and south sask rivers, I've caught 5+ lbers under bridge lights all night long some nights. Scrappy, crazy and willing to gulp deeply even your worst tied flies in a seconds notice.
Personally I like your version better, I'd love for it to be a trout fest but in reality its just another walleye hunters haven with the odd run of whitefish in the western parts and a few deep sturgeon holes.
oxquo

Return to RWFF Development