Good News for Sockeye Salmon

Questions about ordering, miscellaneous

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Good News for Sockeye Salmon

Postby dcarp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Hello,

I came across this article this morning and thought some of you might enjoy reading it. It's regarding this years return of Sockeye Salmon in the Columbia/Snake River system. When I lived in Idaho several years back, I often visited a lake in Central Idaho called "Red Fish Lake". It was so named because in the days before Hydoelectric Dams, the Sockeye would make their annual spawning run to this high mountain lake and be in such great numbers that the lake would take on a reddish hue. For the past several years though, the returning Sockeye numbers have dwindled to the point where a GOOD year means 10-15 fish made it back to the fish trap near this lake.

The article is located here: Sockeye back in record numbers. I'm not sure how long the article will still be available though, so if interested, read it soon.

There is a tie in to RWFF in a small way. In my Brietenbush River outing created last year, I included the land locked cousin of the Sockeye - the Kokanee Salmon in their spawning colors and shapes. If you held the two fish side by side, the only difference would be their size.

Tight Lines all!

DCarp (Dave)
dcarp

Re: Good News for Sockeye Salmon

Postby Cutch » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:59 pm

Great news, Dave,....hope the count keeps climbing every year. :wink:
Cutch

Return to Other