Trouble downloading members outings

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Trouble downloading members outings

Postby Jersey Devil » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Every time I download an outing, and then go to play it, error message comes up and I have to hit the space bar to close the program. I have edition 3, installed in March of 2011. and downloaded upgrade anyway. Using windows 7 Why the constant corrupt files warning. I successfully downloaded a few new outings but 9 out of 10 fail. HELP Is it that if the new outing has fish or sounds that I have not yet downloaded, then I can't play the new file? Should I first download All possible fish bundles first? I'm lost.
Jersey Devil

Re: Trouble downloading members outings

Postby FlyManJoe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Jersey Devil, if you go to the Real World Fly Fishing section at the top of the main page. There is a post called patch locations and how to install them. download the v 133 update. Once you get it in the downloads folder on your computer Open it up you see a list of text documents and a new RWFF.exe. Copy everything into your main game folder make sure it is NOT in a nested folder. As the game will not read it. Now try to fish an outing that doesn't work. Hope it helps if not try contacting Paul (the creator of the game) by email. You can get his email if look at the top of this page. There is a dark brown bubble that says "support" click that and you should see his email link.
FlyManJoe

Postby Jersey Devil » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I downloaded every update, food, fish,sound,and patchv133. Still get "error, support files have been corrupted, please reinstall fly fishing simulator,press space bar to exit" I love this game but this is very frustrating. I've spent all day on this. All I want to do is download and play some of your guys outings...E mailed support @ pishtech....hope I get some help.
thanks for your help anyway bro...
Jersey Devil

Postby wyldechylde77 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm sorry, JD. I have been meaning to add to the Patch post the locations of all the fish files, sounds, and food. What you can do is download and install all of files found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4253 and here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4245 If you get prompted to overwrite any files, just say yes.
I know, that's A LOT of downloading and installing! But wait!!! There's more!! :-( LOL. Go here to this site: https://sites.google.com/site/rwffclubhouse/ Download and install ALL sounds and food files.
So, after all that is said and done, you want to make sure you are patched up to v133 (patch locations are here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4925) and you should be good to go. I know it's a lot of work, believe me I had to do it myself. It is worth it in the end bud.
There are also some sound and food files among the forum that MAY be needed. I haven't had time to go through and put them all in one place.
If all else fails, make sure you check that each file is going into the correct folder (species to the "fish" folder, food to the "food" folder, outings to the "outings" folder, etc). I will continue to help you here as long as I can bro.
wyldechylde77

Postby Jersey Devil » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Too late. After spending all day I deleted everything having to do with RWFF from my computer. The more I tried to fix it, the worse things got. Paul was very helpful and even offered help far and beyond. I'm just going to buy the game again, hopefully it will be the latest version (v131?) and install all the new sounds,food,fish,etc. What the heck, it's only money. When I try to fix things on the computer, look out, it's scarey. Old folks like me are good with a pen and a piece o' paper....when it comes to computers...AYE! :cry: Thanks for the help anyway...Opening day here in 2 days anyway...I should be standing in real water getting skunked anyway.
Jersey Devil

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi Jersey Devil:

A warm welcome to our Forum. I am sorry you are having trouble getting the custom outings to run on your computer. I really hate to see someone who loves fishing and the RWFF game get stuck with installation problems. Here I will put a few points in a capsule for you and I hope you will find this helpful.

1)There is no need to write another check to buy another copy of RWFF when you already have a paid copy. After you deleted the old RWFF copy, just download and install a new one and reactivate it over the internet. You input your registration number that came with the original copy and Paul will give you another activation code over the internet in matters of seconds.

2)If you are running a OS system newer than XP (Vista, Windows7 or Windows8) you will need to create a Games folder under C: drive and install your RWFF into it or it might not work. The default install path was meant for XP. There is a slight difference in how the XP and the newer system in file handling.

3)The V.131 and V.133 were meant for outing creators who want to use 6 frames in their outing scenes. You will find most of the outings (include those created by V.131 and V.133) will work just fine on V.128. I think this is the version that will come with your download from Pishtech. Sorry but buying a new copy will not give you the V.131 and V.133 updates. You still need to download those and install them.

4)Think of the computer as a big library. When you install a new outing the computer will be looking for all the listed files of the new outing in the library. If some are missing then it will return an error. I have said this before but 99% of the time when you RWFF returns an error it is due to missing files in your system (library) and there is no need to reinstall the simulator. To get the custom outings to work you will need to download and install all the fish, food, sound files from the Club House and the RWFF Forum and put them into their respective folders (e.g. fish to fish folder, food to food folder, sound to sound folder) in the main RWFF program folder. It is a real time consuming job and a pain to download all those files but after you have done it then you can fish any of the more than 1000 titles we have in our RWFF outing collection without errors. Something worth doing! :P

5)There is a really great trouble shooting tool included with V.128 and later updates. It is called "File Verification". If you were to open the RWFF software and allow the File Verification on the start screen to run to the end, any error that the software detects (e.g. missing files, misplaced folders, etc) will be put into a "content_errors.txt" in your main RWFF folder. If you can copy the content_errors.txt and post it on the forum then we will be able to tell you what files are missing/or misplaced and what you will need to do to fix them. This is a very useful feature and you should take full advantage of it.

RWFF started life as a fairly small and simple game but it has grown into something much bigger and more complex since the day it was introduced. In my humble opinion it is a much more interesting and dynamic game now but the complexities of file download and installation has increased over the years. Still, it is not all that difficult to get everything working right so please bear with it as the reward will be great! You can fish almost anywhere in the world for exotic fishes from the comfort of your armchair. How great is that??

Please come back if you need help and someone will be around 24/7 to help you with your install problems.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Jersey Devil » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

That's e z 4 u 2 say :roll: Thanks Stan

Already was in c; games folder
Why when I go to buy new game does it try to sell me 2 for 50+$'s
if I only want download and not CD ROM is that ok?
Where do I get updates 131 and 133 and where do I put them.....careful.....?
Jersey Devil

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Jersey Devil:

First, you only need one copy of RWFF, not two, unless you plan to give someone a copy which by the way, isn't a bad idea at all. This will bring enjoyment to a friend or a fellow fisher and some business for Paul:P Secondly it is always nice to have a hard copy (CD) for backup but you can get away by just purchasing the download version. It is the same software.

It would help a lot if you would take a bit of time and read this excellent Sticky by Paul. It was meant to help you understand the installation procedure for RWFF.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3939

Then you go to this thread and download the V.131 and V.133 updates. An excellent Sticky put up by our own Chuck.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4925

I have personally written many threads on how to install custom outings for beginners during the past four years. You can do a search on the Forum and find them. Most of the threads you will find in the Development Forum as well.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is "e z" but it is not all that hard after you have done it a time or two. I know you can do it with a little bit of patience and care. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Jersey Devil » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 pm

OK, I bought a new game and installed and registered it I am trying to 1st download v131. when I do there are folders.....::buttons,fish,flies,image,outings,read me,rwff update,rwfftereg,rwff131.det,rwffver-new,StixAPIdll.
Do each of these have to be individually put in the exact same folders in the game? Or do I just Extract All and send them to Rwff
Jersey Devil

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Jersey Devil:

You just download the V.131 update and unzip the whole thing into your main RWFF folder. Then you click on the "rwff_update.exe" icon (a blue colored icon) in the main RWFF Folder to effect the update. It will tell you that you have successfully updated to V.131. That is all there is to it.

However, to use the custom outings you still need to download and install ALL the fish, food and sound files before the custom outings will work. You can find those in the Club House as well as in the Stickies in the Development Forum. Fish files must go into the RWFF fish folder, food into food, sound into sound, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 pm

JD, please go up above and read my post again. I have all relevant links in there for you ;-)
wyldechylde77

Postby Jersey Devil » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:02 pm

OK, I think I'm getting closer. Bought a new game...uploaded to v131...think I updated to v133, not sure, Re-downloaded all sounds to sounds, food to food, fish to fish. Now... when I download an outing ,do I simply go outing to outing, OR, do I open the new outing and go sound to sound, food to food ,fish to fish again. Or just going outing to outing OK?
Jersey Devil

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Jersey Devil:

Just drag, or copy the outing folder that you just downloaded right into the main RWFF outing folder and you will be fine. No need to do anything within the outing folder. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi JD,

You are on the right track. To verify that you are updated to v133, when you start the game and get to the screen where you select what you want to do, look in the lower corner for a number. It should say v133.
Outings go in outings folder, so you're almost there. But just in case, always open the downloaded outing file to make sure there is not another fish folder or sound folder or whatever. If there is none, just simply put the downloaded outing folder into the game's folder named "outings". I only say to look in the downloaded file because some, such as Stanley and myself, like to add everything needed for the outing in the download with the link. Hope it works for you!
wyldechylde77

Postby Jersey Devil » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 pm

No, it's only v131. I updated like you told me to 131 and it worked, then I went to download the fix and when I hit the blue icon a funny looking tiny symbol came up. And when I went to update to133 the same little symbol came up. Can't I just usr 131? Also I got like triples of the same fly boxes in the game and I can't find any streamers and the ant/beetle boxes don't open. JEEEZ Could somebody come over here and do this right.
I know I'm a pain in the neck but I'm gonna do this somehow!!!! And I thought catching a real fish was hard :lol:

Just downloaded Mohican River, file verification came up with a huge list of stuff missing, and said I can't play that outing. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Jersey Devil

Next

Return to Tech Support