A Question For Paul on Fish Behavior

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

A Question For Paul on Fish Behavior

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Paul:

Martin and I have been working on a couple of Minnesota outings and everything worked just great and the outings turned out very nicely. However, we have run into a little problem with fish behavior and thought maybe you can shed some light on it.

On some of the scenes we have encountered the problem of fish going up to the top of the water's edge, leaving the lower and center part of the scene.When they do that the fish then become almost impossible to cast to and catch. Please see picture below. I was fishing this scene in Challenge mode, after almost half an hour casting to the fish and never got a strike, I became quite baffled so I observed the fish in Cheater Mode. There are nine fish in this scene. As time goes by, (here I am 9:36 minutes into the game) all the fish except one has moved to the top of the water edge and just stayed there. This leaves one fish in the middle of the water that is possible to catch. Pretty tough in expert mode as the fish are not very active.

I have also noticed this behavior in another scene. My question is: what causes the fish to do this? Does it have something to do with the depth map setup? How do you keep the fish in the "sweet spot" of the scene? Someone once said that 90% of the fish live in 10% of the water and this is very true here. :lol: Except they live in the 10% that cannot be cast to and that is not good.

Your comments on this interesting problem will be greatly appreciated by all of us, especially the outing makers. Many thanks for your help. :P :P

Regards,

Stanley

PS. I observed the fish a little longer, even the larger one on the right side of the screen moved up toward the shoreline after a couple of minutes. :lol:

Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Question For Paul on Fish Behavior

Postby paul » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:41 pm

I know that frustration when the fish are all out of reach. I've set up some sites like that where I intentionally concentrated the fish out where you need a long cast to reach them, to match the real world scenario I had photographed, but of course you want to have some fish at least within casting range.

Here's what's going on: In the fish.def file for each site (or for the outing if there isn't one for the site) each group of fish has a preferred depth. When you arrive at the site the fish will tend to be located in water close to their preferred depth. As time goes by if the fish cruise (you can also configure whether they stay in place or cruise sometimes) they'll tend to move towards water that's closer to their preferred depth. So to get the fish to hang out in certain places, either adjust the depth map or their preferred depth, so the depth is best for the fish in the places you want them to be.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Dear Paul and Stanley,
There are 5 different species of fish in this outing,the Perch,Crappie and Smallmouth Bass are all at 4 foot deep
and the Pike and Largemouth Bass are at 6 foot deep with the overall depth at 8 foot throughout the outing,
this was done to add a little more reality to the fishing.
Paul does that mean that you have to put all the fish in the outing at the same depth ??
Now that I have probably spoilt the outing for the Bass fisherfolk,
I will more than likely re-do the complete outing and the Cedar Lake ,which is not posted yet,
and maybe change the challenge sites on both outings and hope that the problem does not reappear.
Regards Martin.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:01 am

Hi Paul and SW:

First of all, I would like to thank Paul for his words of wisdom. Can always count on you for great technical information. Actually I think the ability to control the depth and fish behavior opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for future outing creation.

Secondly I would like to thank SW for his tireless and relentless effort to make these Minnesota outings as interesting, and as authentic as possible for us crazy Bass fishers. I think these outings were beautifully put together and will provide many hours of pleasurable fishing for the Bass aficionados. I love the current flow, the sound of the birds, the weed beds and the feeling that something very large is lurking in the vegetation waiting for an unwary prey. The strikes were fierce and sudden and the fish fought very hard on light tackle. Just loads of fun to fish. :P :P

I tried the challenge mode many times and the best I did was getting to the last scene twice and I couldn't get a hook up there. I am sure SW will soon find a solution to this minor problem and we will be proudly posting out fish and challenge record on the forum soon. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Tech Support