Scottish Warrior Outings all erroring out, need help

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Scottish Warrior Outings all erroring out, need help

Postby grundman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi guys,

Standard details: I'm running on a blazing fast gaming pc I built myself with I5 processor, Nividia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 16G Ram, the game is installed to my 500 gig WD hard drive and I'm using Win7 64 bit with ALL drivers up to date.

I diligently studied ALL the forums here, triple checked my folders, made sure I had the updated food, fish and sound folders from the Clubhouse, etc. EVERY time I go to run one of Scottish Warriors outings, the screen goes black, then this huge blank white screen comes up with 'Error: Can't load site definition s01 in outing (title of whatever outing I'm trying to load)' and locks up, requiring a control/alt/delete to close. So, then, when I first reopen the program after this, I get the standard 'verifying files' warning and about 7-8 seconds after it starts attempting to verify the files so I can see whats causing the error, the program crashes with a 'BEX' error (and I looked that up and it has something to do with memory management issue?).

So, being a power user, I usually can figure these things out, so I compared the stock working files to the Scottish Warrior files that won't open, and they all seem to have the same default files. Also, I did check and found no embedded unzipped subfolders in the food file as I had read was a problem for many folks, and without a working validation error report and don't know whats causing the crashes, although I did see that some of the SW outings have frequently a subfolder that is the exact same name as the outing, and they have 13 files for each s01, s02, etc, compared to 8 files for each s01, s02, etc in the original folder.

The only theories I can come up with that I feel could possibly be an issue is that I do have the game installed on my 'F' drive and not my 'C' drive. Also, I don't have the Outing Creation tool installed, could these be an issue? Please help!!!!

Dave
grundman

Re: Scottish Warrior Outings all erroring out, need help

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Dave:

Welcome to our RWFF Support Forum. There has been so much spamming on our forum that it is easy to miss the genuine ones from our members. Martin has been doing a great job deleting those since he go home to UK. Maybe it is time for our Forum Administrator to change the password requirements.

Sounds like you have a fantastic homebuild computer with great specs. Maybe it is too fast for our antiquated RWFF software? Just kidding. I run the same software on my Alienware gaming computer and it works just fine. :P

First of all, I don't think installing your RWFF software on a "F" drive should prevent it from working. I think any device recognized as a drive on your computer will work. I have installed them to external drives and they work just fine. So this may not be your issue.

To help trouble shoot the problem, can you please tell me which outing you are having trouble with? Like, specifically which outing, or outings? I will download it and will try to run it on my computer and will see if it works. I will also check over the files to make sure they are standard files for our outings.

You can try downloading this Yellowstone7 outing that I created for one of our Christmas tournaments and see if it will work on your computer. This has worked for everybody before so it should work for you as well. Please let me know. We can then narrow down the computer crash problems for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eec3snv8kotys ... n.zip?dl=0

Actually the fish, sound and other files in the club house are out-of-date and they have not been updated for a long long time. You do need the latest fish and sound files for some new outings to work correctly. The files on the Forum are more up to date. If you need any help with those please let me know.

Regards,

Stanley (aka Yellowstone7)
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby grundman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:39 am

Hi Stanley! Wow, thanks for the quick reply, thank you!. So, I downloaded your Congo file and yup, same error message as with all of Scottish Warriors outings as well. You mentioning that the food and fish files are not up to date on the clubhouse lends me to believe that this is probably the issue (BTW, I just verified I'm patched to v1.4.x on the RWFF). I DID find and download your updated 'Stanleys updated fish file' off the forum, but I honestly don't know if even THATS the latest/working one. Btw, I didn't have any problems getting the 'official' additional outings working (Sacramento River, etc) and I'm positive that its not an embedded file or wrong placement of a file, I was extremely careful at installation time, as well as thoroughly double checking placement.

Stanley, I'm a seasoned PC gamer and veteran downloader and trouble shooter, and sir, even I can't make heads or tales of whats the latest or correct patch/file is the actual DEFACTO 'yes, this is the ONLY file you need to download to have these outings work' thats needed to accomplish this goal. if whoever is in charge of the forums has any concern about users of Pauls software being able to actually not give up in frustration when trying to get user made outings working, it really would not be all that difficult to glue a sticky with the working files to the top of the forum, would it? (Im not pointing fingers here, I'm sure you've probably heard this all before, doh!! If I'm still good at reading between the lines, I get the distinct impression there's a 'who's willing to pay for the online server space to host the files on outdated software, possibly?)

I gotta confess and tell you that I'm not looking forward to going back and slogging through dozens of forum posts again hoping to hit upon what is the most up to date working file. Any chance you could at lease provide a link to what you think I need, or at least tell me which forum and what post(s) are the one I need to d/l from? It would be SO appreciated sir. THanks in advance.

Dave

PS I'm 56 and lived in S. California all but 3 years (in Boulder Co.!) of my life, and I'm finally going to fulfill a lifelong dream and move to a small small town in Montana! And I see your avatar, and wonder how you could leave the splendor of Mt & Id. for hot and sticky and very overcrowded Hong Kong!! Was it not optional? How are you fairing? I hope if it wasn't your choice, your adapting well friend. Any suggestions for any towns to look for in Mt? Finding work is not an issue, and I'm trying to stick to the 'Banana Belt' southern sections if I can, I'm not naive about the brutal winters their known for (with all this horrible climate change, do they even have brutal winters anymore?)
grundman

Postby Scottish Warrior » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:38 am

Hi Dave,
I WAS SORRY TO READ THAT YOU ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH RWFF,
When Richard stopped updating the files in the Old Clubhouse I took it upon myself to put Stickies on the Forum with
All of the Food,Fish,Sounds Files needed to update RWFF to get Version 142 working,they are stii on the forum and still available to download,
I even included a Folder named All Stanleys New Fish to try to help everyone get the required files.All Files Are Up To Date.
I hope you find the updated Files and can get RWFF Working as it should,stay in touch with Stanley as his help is invaluable and if anyone can help you fix the problem it is Stanley.
Please keep Posting and we shall try to help as best we can.
Tight Lines,
Regards Martin aka Scottish Warrior.

ALL LINKS UPDATED AS OF TODAY ( ALL OLD LINKS WORKED FINE BUT I UPDATED ANYWAY) Hope this helps.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby grundman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:50 am

Hey S. Warrior, is there a link where I can actually download your 6 frame outings? All I've been able to find is your LIST of the outings, but not the outings downloads themselves. As you know I'm working with trying to get your version 128 outings working, but it looks like 90% of them are 3 frame. BTW, are there suppose to be ANY subfolders in the actual outings themselves? I notice there are several outings with an additional folder in them named the same name as the outing, but they have like 13 files per s01 (each outing site, yes?) whereas the actual outing sites have 8 files per site. Am I making any sense? :)
grundman

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 am

Dear Dave and Martin:

I am so glad Martin has jumped in to help you with your problems as well. Martin and I have been involved with RWFF for quite a long time and we have seen practically all the "non-working scenarios" over the years and were able to resolve the majority of them for our members. Thanks to Paul's genius for not only creating a fantastically realistic fly fishing simulator, the software itself is robust and difficult to break. However, it does require that all the bits and pieces (e.g. files, folders, etc) are in their correct places before it works flawlessly though. This shouldn't be a problem with someone like you who knows the ins and outs of the computer so well. :P

Generally speaking, when newer outings do not work (e.g. those with the latest exotic jumping fish species and food files) were due to missing files that the computer cannot find in loading the RWFF software and the software may then hang up, or crash. You need to have the latest fish, food and sound files available in one of Martin's stickies on our forum. Martin just wrote me and told me those files are up-to-date so please do that first thing and see if your RWFF problems are resolved. I am pretty sure this will solve your problems. If not, please let us know and we will try to help you.

Yes, I was born in Hong Kong but fell in love with nature and the wide open spaces in Montana and Idaho. I used to own a small ranch right next to the fabled Yellowstone River and kept it for many years until I was forced to return to Hong Kong to help with the family business here because my father was going blind. I always tell people my body is here in HK but my soul is still in Montana and Idaho. Man has to do what he has to do, I guess. I miss those places greatly. This was one of my primary reasons for getting involved with RWFF in the first place. My love for flyfishing and also the ability to recreate my experience in fishing on those beautiful and great trout streams in Montana. No other fishing software in the world would allow me to do that.

As for a choice of location to move to in Montana, I highly recommend the Bozeman and the surrounding area as it is a great town with modern facilities,traffic infrastructure with many Blue Ribbon trout streams and rivers within short driving distance of the area. Not to mention the pristine Spring Creeks found in that area as well. Most of those Spring Creeks are great fisheries and if you like the challenge of tempting, catching and release a nice wary trout, this will be the ultimate challenge for you. We laughed about this being the graduate school of fly fishing. Bozeman has seen a real boon for savvy people and the real estate prices have grown enormously over the last few years. However, there are smaller cities and suburbs around the area that are still affordable for first time people moving there. So do a Google search and take a look. I highly recommend that area.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby grundman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Thank you Yellowstone my brother, you rock! BTW, to wrap up this post, I got all to work with a little help from Martin, all that needed doing was updating the food and fish files to the proper ones, which Martin has graciously posted a nice sticky at the top of the forum so others don't suffer the same fate as myself! Yup, once I did that, everything worked as advertised, no issues or crashes since! If I could just figure out a way to force the game to make all the fish surface feed (damn I HATE wet fly/underwater fishing, I can never see the strike indicator if the water is deeper than 2-3 feet!) so I only have to use dry flies I'll be a renowned angler!! (Kidding, gotta take the challenging with the easy!). Is there a place I could find a download that would have some decent 'larger' flies? I have no knack or real ability with the powerful fly tyer, and I really need some dragonfly and dragonfly nymphs, some crayfish, some house fly flies, you know, alot of those big flies that BIG fish like!!

You know what would be a awesome and I would think possible easy upgrade to the software would be? If Paul could put a mouse over showing what type of insect/larvae you get in the hatch net (like it already does when you mouse over your flies, just have it also popup WHAT insect your looking for thats currently in the hatch net) since I find myself not recognizing or even knowing what half of the bugs and creatures and kritters are, an easy and useful update, yes?

Now, if I could just find a place to download his 6 frame outings bundled into one instead of dozens of individual outings I'll be right as rain. All your guys help is so appreciative!

Dave
grundman

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi David:

Glad you got your RWFF software working as it should. We are always pleased to help new members. Re your question about larger flies for the outings, I have uploaded my own person fly folder and you can download it via this link. Here you should find some larger flies like the ones you mentions, sculpine, dragon flies, even a frog and a duckling. Largemouth Bass and some exotic S. American predatory fish should love those. And yes, they float on the surface of the water as well. :P

You will need to put the new flies into a custom fly folder in your RWFF fly folder. Give it a unique name and you will be good to go. Have fun. It is a good size download and includes some of my custom flies that have not yet been published.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbsxocfwlzcyv ... 9.zip?dl=0

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby grundman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Thanks Mr. Yellowstone my man, thats very generous of you. So appreciative. By the way, I just went to the Clubhouse yesterday evening, and the site is a wreck, its sad. All the links I tried, including your outings, were broken/non functioning (except for the outing request links, those went to email as intended). All the tutorials didn't work, first impression is its an abandoned site, which blows. I let the site maintainer know what was happening. I tell you of this in case you have any part in the workings of those links to your outings on that site.

I'm aware Paul has stopped development of RWFF, but does he have any concern over the availability of those resources? This is in no way a jab at Paul, hes a standup guy, I'm just trying to get a feel for the 'lay of the land' if you will. :) I did see it says 'The OFFICIAL site of Phishtechs RWFF' on the home page, I had thought at first it was just (at one time) a well maintained Fan site.

If a PM is more appropiate here, by all means feel free sir.

Tight lines to you as well, can't wait till I get to Mo. been fishing all the Mo. outings and its just as beautiful as I have dreamed of. Your words of advice about the places to go was most welcome and enjoyed.

Dave
grundman

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi Dave:

I tried to send you a PM. The website was acting a little funny when I was doing that. Please let me know if it arrived in your mailbox. Thanks!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Tech Support