Ya know what REALLY ticks me off?...

A place to post anything that doesn't relate to Pishtech but might interest the community. No advertising or obscenity will be permitted, but other than that almost anything is fair game.

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Ya know what REALLY ticks me off?...

Postby wyldechylde77 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 pm

....these guys on these fishing shows, bass fishing. They set that hook so hard that they practically almost fall out of the dang boat, grunt and reel so fast like they have a huge tarpon or something. All that for a 3lb largemouth bass. I don't know about any of you, but I've caught hundreds of largemouth bass, even 9-10lbers, on many different lures and NOT ONCE did I ever have to set it so hard that I almost jumped backwards out of the boat. Aggravates me. They ALL do that junk on TV. Pointless!!

Ok, rant over. Anything about fishing make you absolutely insane? Do tell!!
wyldechylde77

Re: Ya know what REALLY ticks me off?...

Postby FlyManJoe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi Chuck, I too wounder why they set it so hard and it is not to get them out of the cover like weeds because they in open water to. I personally do not see a purpose for reeling that fast either kind of makes the fight pointless may as well pull logs out of the lake. I think they might do that in tournaments for time reasons but in recreational is just odd. I have caught many bass as I am a former bass tournament angler and never once set the hook like that. I find that it is best to pull gently till you feel the weight of the fish like trout fishing. But what sort of bugs me is when they hold the fish by the mouth with the bottom lip almost at 90 degrees from the upper lip tell me that doesn't hurt the fish.
FlyManJoe

Postby wyldechylde77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

And that's the thing, Joe! It just aggravates the crap out if me and if you ask me, it promotes bad ethics. There is no need to set the hook that hard. They all do it, from Jimmy Houston to Bill Dance to everyone in between. I do the same as you, reel until I feel it's weight then set. Never once have I had to set a hook with enough velocity to literally rip the fish from the water. The only times I ever have to set a hook hard is when casting for muskies, northern pike, or catfish because the have thick bones in their mouths. Even then, it's not so hard that I run the risk of ripping the hook out! I learned a long time ago from my grandfather to keep in mind when setting a hook that as you set the hook upwards, the fish's first reaction is to dive at the same time. Pretty much helps to drive the hook home. I dunno. That TV Hookset as I call it is just useless and stupid.
wyldechylde77

Postby FlyManJoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi Chuck, as you said you only do it for catfish, muskie and northerns I can see why for them because in Kansas there is many monster blue cats that require a good pull to get a line in there good enough land them without the line slipping. But for bass really? you see through most of there mouth it's like setting a hook through paper or a crappie and the hook should be through unless it is deep and upper jaw then it is harder penetrate but most the time it's side jaw or upper front lip where the soft skin is. On the other hand there is catfish a big blue or flathead around 40 pounds will have a good 1 cm thick lip with thee teeth that are like sand paper and very hard to get through. But even bullheads have thicker lips then a bass and it doesn't require much more then flick of the wrist. I think most bluegills even have harder lips then bass. and Those are also just a pop then again I only fly fish or use a cane pole for bluegills.
FlyManJoe

Return to Non-Pishtech