A little more Flyfishing Bass and Panfish action for ya

Discussion about fishing in real life

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A little more Flyfishing Bass and Panfish action for ya

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I know. When does this guy stop fishing, right? LOL! Hey, I fish as often as I can, and since I've picked up fly fishing and getting more confident by the day, I try as often as I can for any species. Granted, it has not been my year for big fish and lots of travel like I normally do, but fishing is fishing. So, early yesterday morning I was up and the idea came to me to take a walk down to the River, but near where my Uncle lives. I decided on this because I wanted a chance at something big. I was figuring it would be good to practice fighting a hefty fish and have some fun in the process. Nearly every time I go by my Uncle's, there are huge Carp hanging around in the River. I figured why not see if any are around and give them a shot. I looked into the water, I saw at least 4 carp hanging around, mouths moving along the bottom as they were feeding. I tied on a Woolly Bugger and went to work. (A little more on this later) Cast after cast, these guys showed minimal interest. Closest I got to getting one is when one gave it a very quick and soft bite to see what it was, as carp are well known to "taste" thier food before committing. I never did get a hit, as they were more curious than anything. Just kept approaching the Woolly Bugger and backing off. Oh well. Can't win em all.
So, as I'm on my way home, my father calls me to see if I wanted to take a ride out to Great Valley to basically enjoy the 70 degree October day, so I said sure because I could go fish up at Sprague Lake. I know there are Largemouth Bass and panfish in the Lake, but I made a promise to myself to use the flyrod only! To remove temptation, I brought only my fly tackle. Hey, gotta practice in order to get good!
So, when I arrived at the lake after my father dropped me off, the water was clear as glass. I thought I might be making a mistake because the water was that clear and the sun was high. Usually spells tough fishing conditions. I guess I got lucky and the resident fish were hungry, as I absolutely demolished them! Between the Woolly Bugger and Bleeding Minnow streamer (I don't know the real name LOL), I was hitting Bluegills, Pumpkinseeds, and Largemouth at a good rate. Made the fly fishing a lot of fun. Hell, I even out fished two teenagers who were using lures over on a dock. For every fish they caught, I caught 5 LOL. I didn't take pics of every fish I caught, because this would be a very long post LOL! So, here are the ones I did take pics of. Nothing big, just lots of fun:

Bluegill that hit first, Woolly Bugger:

Followed by two Largemouth on the Bugger (see how clear the water was?):

Pumpkinseed, such a pretty fish.

The bite seemed to tail off after that. I changed retrieves, but with no results. So I switched over to the Bleeding Minnow streamer. That sure got thier attention again!

Bluegill that hit the streamer:

This little bass was a scrapper! Easily the best fight of the day!

Another pretty little Pumpkinseed:

...and a Bluegill:

Another nice little Largemouth:

Again, the bite seemed to die after this. I switched back over to the Woolly Bugger and gave it a quick jerking retrieve. Nope, the fish weren't done yet! This guy slammed it!

Bluegill on the Bugger. I purposely left the Bugger in its mouth to at least have a pic of one with the fly used LOL. Also, perfect hook set ;) (Yes, Stanley...I did it on purpose! LOL!!)

Finally, one last Bluegill with the sun going down:

So, as you can see, I wasn't fishing for monsters. Was just having fun really. Turned a dead day of carp fishing into a very productive day of flyfishing. With the amount of carp in my area, there will be other times. I also learned what I was doing wrong after an email from Stanley. I was working the Woolly Bugger like I would normally. Stanley told me that carp usually won't take Buggers, or actually rarely should I say. He told me to pick up some nymphs and work in an up and down motion, like jigging, to entice carp. Great advice there, and much appreciated! I was gonna go out again this morning as it is more optimal with cloudy skies, but I am tired this morning. So just gonna be a bum and sleep a bit more then watch some football. Hopefully, my next update will be about a big carp, or Steelhead or King Salmon! Hope you enjoy the pics!
wyldechylde77

Re: A little more Flyfishing Bass and Panfish action for ya

Postby FlyManJoe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Chuck,

Those are nice looking fish. Love the colours on the Pumpkin seeds, looks to be a pretty healthy lake as well. To bad you didn't get a carp they're awesome on fly rods. I agree with Stanley on woolly buggers, I have had Carp on them over the years but by far not the most productive fly for Carp or Golden Ghosts as a few of my friends would say. Nymphs are a great choice as well as crayfish patterns and worms. Some great flies for carp are black stone fly nymphs, soft hackles, backstabbers, McTage’s Foam Trouser Worm, and Barry's carp bitter. Those are some pf my recommendations for flies. Also check out these websites it might help on your pursuit of a Carp.
http://www.intheriffle.com/category/car ... rmation-2/
http://www.flycarpin.com/
http://www.flyfishforcarp.com/
these might give some great info on carp fly fishing.
FlyManJoe

Postby badger040 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:24 pm

hi guys
great story and pics Chuck
i also went out on Sunday 6th October to take part in my charity's last outing of the year
im not the best story teller but here is how my day went
up at 0500 to meet with Jim and mike,we set off for Dever Springs and en route stopped for a full English breakfast,gotta start the day right.
got to the gin clear spring fed lake around 0830,the mist was rolling off the water,the temperature was down into single figures and the water was alive will top water action.my favourite style of fly fishing.
we were given the advice from the clubhouse that daddy longlegs were doing well.not so for me
very few fish were coming out,and the 20 or so anglers were not happy.
one guy just happened to be in the right spot and finished his day with 7 decent trout to 8lbs
by the time he finished it was getting on for 1630 and the best fish of the day was a beautiful brown of 10lbs caught by another friend of mine,Aki who went stalking the smaller of the two lakes.
by this time i was the only one fishing the larger lake,in the spot that produced the biggest bag,although the fish were still topping i could not get any interest at all,frustration starting to enter the equation now.
so i resorted to the good old Orange Blob,a fire engine red ball of glitter,after spotting some unusual surface activity cast into that area and came up with my only fish of the day.....a cracking 36 inch rainbow trout weighing in at 14lbs exactly....beating my previous biggest trout by a massive 81/2lb
i am having real trouble with photo bucket getting the whole picture in so i will have to post the picture at a later date
best regards
Badger040
badger040

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:52 am

Hi Chuck, Joe, Badger and Everyone:

Got up early this morning and found a couple of delightful RL fishing stories by Chuck and Badger. Great account of the trip and catches! Congratulations. Very enjoyable reading indeed. :P

Flyfishing for carp is an art form in itself and has caught the attention of the more serious flyfisherman just recently. Carps, unlike trout and other cold water species, are more widely distributed and will tolerate less than ideal water conditions. When you cannot access trout fishing the warm water species are great sport for most of the flyfishing population. I told Chuck about the delights of flyfishing for Largemouth Bass and Panfish and encouraged him to try it as these fish are readily available in his area. (Knowing the owners of a couple of nice private ponds also helped.) Chuck gave it a go and is having a lot of fun catching his warm water finny friends with a flyrod. Joe has some great suggestions for fly patterns as well. Give those a try and with any luck you might just be able to tempt a 20 plus pound carp to take you tiny fly and you will have the fight of your life on a limber flyrod. LOL

One nice thing about catching any fish on a fly would be the ability to return the fish back into the water with little harm. It is a great way to have some fun while doing your share of nature and game conservation. A win-win situation for both the fisherman and the fish. In an idea situation is it not unusual for a skilled flyfisherman to catch 40-50 fish a day and you can't keep them all so catch and release becomes very important. :P

Badger, I don't know where you are fishing but taking a 36 inch, 14 pound Rainbow on a fly must be the dream of any serious flyfisherman. My hearty congratulations to you for this feat. :lol: In North American people would risk their lives to catch a Rainbow of this proportions. These big fish are found in Alaska, Canada and more remote parts of the wilderness that can only be accessed by flying in on a bush plane, or helicopter! A fantastic job with the Orange Blob. :lol:

Thanks for sharing your great fishing stories with us.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby badger040 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 am

hi Stanley and all
those of you UK anglers will know or have heard of DEVER SPRINGS
a catch and take trout fishery that is noted for its large trout
these are "home grown"and whilst my 14lb was a personal best for me
it ranks quite low on the scales,they have fish over 20lbs in the water and a 17lb fish is taken on a regular basis
www.deversprings.co.uk will give you all a better idea of whats available to me
regards
Badger040
badger040

Postby badger040 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 am

hi all
still cannot get the picture how i want it
this will have to do
regards
Badger040
badger040