Monticello, Ind. Norway Dam Area

Discussion about fishing in real life

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Monticello, Ind. Norway Dam Area

Postby rwwalleye » Sun May 19, 2013 1:12 am

Hi Everyone,
Thursday evening went down to my favorite fishing Area below Norway Dam. They had one of the three floodgates open but water was still low enough to wade out by the bridge going over the river, where there is a drop off that drops to 10 feet of water. Started throwing spinner bait out on first cast hooked a 14 1/4 in Sauger, a good keeper to fillet out. For the next hour throwing across dropoff or under bridge into fast current was able to catch 4 White Bass and a total of 13 Saugers. 12 of the Saugers were inbetween 13 1/4 to 13 3/4 inches, just below the keeper mark. Finally they started to lower the water and the fish just turned off. Tried for another 45 minutes with no luck. Sorry for the way the picture is but it was taken about 10pm after dark. Had a lot of fun with such a short time of crazy action. Will try again Monday, the weekends it so crowded that it's a pain to get to the good spots. Well everybody have a good day. Roger

ImageImage
rwwalleye

Re: Monticello, Ind. Norway Dam Area

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:13 am

Looks and sounds like a great trip, Roger! We don't have many White Bass here in WNY, but we do have Sauger and I have caught quite a few over the years. That 14 1/2 incher is a good one for sure! I was actually supposed to go fish for Northern Pike this morning, but the wear and tear of the work week caught up with me so I said forget it LOL. Glad you enjoyed yourself and had a productive day of fishing!
wyldechylde77

Re: Monticello, Ind. Norway Dam Area

Postby rwwalleye » Sun May 19, 2013 2:39 am

Hi Chuck,
I really indeed enjoy myself. White Bass average about 1 1/2 - 3 Lbs. Wipers though my biggest is 18.5 Lbs. The biggest Sauger I caught down there so far was 23 inches, about 4 1/2 lbs. Both the white bass and Saugers are coming in to spawn. The water is still kind of cold especially for this time of year. Nipsco shut the dams turbines off and switched power from the wind mills. They have been using one or two flood gates to control water level on upper part of the lake. So more colder water is coming thru. Makes fishing a lot better especially for the Saugers, they like a little swifter water then the Walleye's. Well hope you get to go fishing tomorrow and have a good day at it. Roger
rwwalleye

Return to Fishing