Finally, after all this time...

Discussion about fishing in real life

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Finally, after all this time...

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Hey all,

Went to Oppenheim Park today with my father to do a little fishing, and just kind of relax the April 70-degree day away. We knew there were stocked trout in the lake, but there are also large carp, crappie, and largemouth bass. So, my main aim was for trout, and I knew I was dealing with stockers that were yearling to 2-year olds. I went with light tackle: 7' light action spinning rod, 10-lb braid main line (2 lb mono equivalent diameter) 2 1/2 foot 8-lb test fluorocarbon leader. Had a little mix of trout eggs, redworms, and nightcrawlers. There were a good mount of people there, and there were a few hookups with trout and bass, but it was already late afternoon and the bite was slowing down. The guy next to me a little over caught a nice Rainbow Trout, then lost two more. I went all old-school and had a slip bobber on and just switched over from a nightcrawler to redworm, when BANG, BANG, my float went under once, I waited a second, it went under again and I set the hook. With light tackle, this guy put up a good, good fight. And I'm also very proud to say and to show you guys my very first non-sea-run Brown Trout!!

Great fighter. Much to others' dismay, I let him go to fight another day. Sorry, but I want to conserve the fishery, not take every fish I catch out and ruin any chance these guys get to create a good fishery. I seem to be one in a million though LOL. It happened to be the only landed fish of the afternoon, with my dad and I both missing strikes on two others each. I'm happy with my first Brown, which was roughly 16-17". Hope there are more days like this to come!
wyldechylde77

Re: Finally, after all this time...

Postby badger040 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm

hi wyldechylde77
congrats
nice fish,even nicer to hear it went back to fight another battle
looks like you had a nice day
regards
Badger040
badger040

Return to Fishing