What is your "goal" fish?

Discussion about fishing in real life

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Re: What is your "goal" fish?

Postby paul » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:23 pm

For me that would include grayling, lake trout and golden trout. I'll join you on the lake sturgeon, too.

Bowfin are strange creatures. I catch one accidentally now and then, usually while fishing for bass and northern pike. Often a bass or pike will bump a spinnerbait on one retrieve and if they only connect with the skirt or a rubber tail they'll come back to hit they're likely to hit again on the next cast. If they connect even momentarily with the hook they won't hit again, which is understandable. But a bowfin... you may hook one briefly, but due to their really bony mouths you may get a loose hook-set and lose the fish. Yet even if they've felt a mouthful of metal they'll hit again and again. They're the only fish I've seen do that.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby jatkinson1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 pm

iam english and only 12 so my pb is a 20 .? pound pike which i caught on a dead bait on the head of a lamprey.
jatkinson1

Postby rwwalleye » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:42 pm

My Goal is for 2 fish, The 1st would be the record Walleye for the state of Indiana which is 14 lbs 14 oz. A few years back I had the chance but really blew it. Fishing below Norway Dam in Monticello, Indiana using a purple and red jig tipped with minow and a small piece of nightcrawler, I caught a 36 inch flathead catfish. About ten minutes later I hooked a very huge walleye that made the flathead look small. Didn't have a big enough net to land him so I tried fighting him back toward the shore and almost had him when it turned on it's side opened it's mouth and the jig ended up hitting me in the eye and lost him. With blood in my eye ended up in the emergency room. The othe fish is a Wiper which is the cross between the whitebass and a striper which grows really quick. State record is over 22 lbs. My largest is 15.84 lbs., a 45 minute battle on 6 lb. test fireline. Got some good pictures and it was delicious.
Roger L. Wilson Sr. (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Return to Fishing