Suggestions

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Suggestions

Postby TomS » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:56 pm

First off, I think this game is great.. especially for us in the Northeast with long, cold winters.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Management of the fly boxes is pretty tedious.. cycling through a dozen tiny fly boxes with the previous/next commands is annoying. I would suggest using larger fly boxes (ie same idea, but with more flies per box).

Even better would be to show a stack of boxes on the left hand side of the screen, with labels on them like you would have in real life.. either organized by species (mayflies/caddis/terrestrial/etc) or fly type (wet/dry/nymph/streamer/etc) then when you select the box you want, have it open up into the view you have now.. preferably with a few more flies per box.

2) I might have missed it, but is there a way to 'strip' line in, other than reeling it in? When retrieving streamers, fishing stillwaters, or trying to manage line after an upcurrent cast, it would be nice to use the spacebar or some key to strip line in by some amount.. say 6" or so, and allow you to hold the key down to continue stripping in 6" increments (with a slight pause to simulate your hand moving back up to re-grasp the line. So you could hold down the key for a steady strip/pause/strip pause.. or you could quickly tap the key for a faster strip/strip/strip... something like that.

Of course this means that the simulation now has to deal with slack line between the reel and the first guide, which is a problem you don't have now in the game.

-- Tom
TomS

Postby paul » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 am

Tom,

Thanks for the great feedback. It would definitely be nice to have a quicker way to skip through the flies. There are 90 patterns now, and there will be more coming, quite possibly including user created flies. I like the idea of the stack of boxes labeled by category. Another possibility would be adding a setting in the options screen to turn off the animation of the box and the hand. As it is now you've got to wait for the hand to take one box and put it away and take out the next. It might be less realistic, but it would be handy (no pun intended) to have the box replaced instantly.

The stripping function is something I've been thinking about for a while. One possibility is to use the mouse wheel. That would allow you to strip in as fast or slow as you like. Rolling the wheel backwards could be used to shoot line at the end of the casting stroke.

I'll get both of those on the list of enhancements to work on.

Thanks again, and good fishing!

Paul Halter
Pishtech
paul
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:15 am

Paul,

Mouse wheel for stripping would be perfect.. didn't think of that one!

-- Tom
TomS

suggestion

Postby RickB » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:57 pm

I would like to be able to bring up images of the fish when you are viewing the records. I want to show off my beautiful fish!

It would also be nice to be able reposition on the stream. There are several places where the fish are feeding almost at the anglers feet and it makes it difficult to cast to them.
RickB

Postby kerrye » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Fish right at your feet huh? Was this supposed to be easy?
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Re: Suggestions

Postby OhioFlyfisher » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Don't laugh dude.It happens.
The Best Time To Fish Is When You Can!!
OhioFlyfisher

Return to Real World Fly Fishing