Western waters for the next edition

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Western waters for the next edition

Postby paul » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:03 pm

RWFF fans,

I'm planning my travels and locations to shoot in the western US this summer. Do you have suggestions for places to shoot? I have some waters I know I'll include, and will shoot others that are on the way between my must-haves, but I'll consider other locations too. As I'm trying to shoot a large number of rivers over the course of a couple of weeks, efficiency helps. That means where several good rivers are close together, where I can shoot several within a few miles in a few hours, that's an ideal location. For example I plan to reshoot some waters in Yellowstone. In the western part of the park I can shoot the Madison, Firehole and Gibbon within a few miles of each other. In Colorado I can hit the Gunnison, Taylor, and East rivers within just a few miles. I'm tentatively planning to shoot the Green River in Utah, the Upper Sacramento and Hat Creek in northern California, the Rogue, Umpqua, Sandy and Deschutes in Oregon, the Snake River in Hells Canyon on the Oregon/Idaho border, Henry's Fork in Idaho, the Missouri and Bighorn Rivers in Montana. I've got a long list of other candidates to visit along the way. Some may not work out due to weather or water conditions at the time, but then I'll have some alternates along my course I can shoot if that happens. I expect to shoot at least 30 rivers.

Any suggestions?

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Western waters for the next edition

Postby paul » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:17 pm

I've created a public Google Map for future locations. Feel free to add markers of specific places you think would be good for RWFF: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=e ... R_PUWBjYNE

I marked a spot in Hells Canyon to start it off.

Please keep in mind I don't promise to get to every suggested spot, but I'll give serious consideration to every suggestion.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:59 am

Hi Paul:

Great to hear you will be going out West during the Summer. No flyfishing simulator should be without the fantastic trout streams in the Western part of the US. I read your intended trip with lots of interest. Sure sounds a dream trip for any avid trout fisherman to take during the Summer months. I hope you will have your flyrod with you as well as your camera equipment.

As far as suggestions for some fishing waters, I think you should include the several fantastic Spring Creeks in the Livingston area. e.g. the Nelson, the Armstrong and the Depuy. Each with a character of its own and all fantastic fisheries for trout in the heat of Summer. I think the best thing for you to do is to drop John Bailey a line and get together with him when you are in his area. John knows all the fishing waters well and should be able to help you with some great fishing destinations. You can drop him a line via this email address: john@dan-bailey.com Just mention "Stanley Hui" sent you and you will get the right kind of attention. John is a great guy and flyfisherman. Who knows, you might get to spend a day on the Yellowstone with him. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby paul » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Stanley,

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely contact John Bailey. I don't expect to have time for much actual fishing with so many waters to shoot and so many miles to cover, but I do plan to dedicate one day to fishing. It sounds like the Livingston area is a perfect place to spend that day.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Paul:

You will not regret going to Livingston and meeting John Bailey. He is a great guy and a fine fisherman and knows his fishing waters very well. It will be a good idea to give him a call, or send him an email before you arrive in the Livingston area as John is usually quite busy in the Summer. You can reach him by calling his toll free number. 800-356-4052. Just tell him Stanley Hui sent you and his jaws will drop. :lol:

I can also give him a heads up before your trip. What month do you think you might be getting there this Summer?

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing