Rusty but still works.A New Jumping Longnose Sucker For You!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Rusty but still works.A New Jumping Longnose Sucker For You!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Everyone:

Some one once said if you don't use your mind it will turn to rust. I just found that out tonight! :lol: When I rebuilt the Gallatin River outing I was looking for some interesting fish to put into it. As it turned out we don't have a Jumping Longnose Sucker so tonight I set out to trying to build one. Wheeew! What a chore! :oops:

For someone who has built over 150 fish for the RWFF software, this should be a piece of cake, right? Nope, I found out I was wrong!

First, why the lowly Longnose Sucker fish? As it turned out this fish is found in almost all of the Western streams on the East side of the Rocky Mountains. This would included states like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and some parts of California. The suckers and carps, and even the lively and willing Whitefish, have always been considered a "trash" fish by serious trout fishermen. However, during the recent years with the decline of trout population due to habitat destruction and over fishing, anglers have found these lowly fish to offer great sport when taken with an artificial fly on a light flyrod. There are even fishing professionals now offering Carp fishing trips. If you have never hooked into a heavy weight Carp using a light or medium weight flyrod you are really missing some fantastic fights from these lowly rated species. Most of us are fishing for the pleasure of the fight, and not to kill a large fish, right? :lol:

In the good old days when I was building a new fish everyday, sometimes maybe even two, it would take me an hour and a half to do a simple one. However, I ran into all kinds of technical problems when building the Longnose Sucker as I was very rusty at it. I was just out of practice and made some very basic mistakes. The old mind isn't help much either. Anyway I finally built this fish and it took me a little more than 3 hours! Sign of old age, I guess!

Anyway, here you have the Longnose Sucker. I still need to find some good caught pictures and finish building the fish file. I hope you will enjoy catch this fish one day in a new outing soon!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing