Anti-Malware and RWFF

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Anti-Malware and RWFF

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 am

Hi All,
I too have been having problems with Opening RWFF and The Outing Tool on my Main PC since my return from Holiday,
Windows Explorer was doing funny things or taking a long time to advance as it should,anyway I asked a friend of mine from Viatel
what could the problem be as I could not even restore my PC to an earlier time or date,as is normal.
He asked me what and how many Anti-Malware Programs I had on my PC,I said 3 and also had YAC (Yet Another Cleaner) Downloaded ready to Install),
He Informed me that this was my problem even though these were all bought and the Premium Version of each Program they were all Conflicting on my System.
Remedy was easy,removed ALL 3 Programs,installed YAC,which he recommended as the best and has a 3 PC OPTION when Premium Purchased
for less than £20.00,did a scan and a Heuristics Check and Hey Presto PC Now Working as fast as when I bought it,RWFF now opens as normal,
Outing Tool works very fast and Martin is a Happy Lad.
I also told him of the problems some of you may be having and he said"tell them to check for Anti-Malware Programs,TOO MANY IS NO GOOD FOR YOUR PC".
All You Need really is Windows Defender and YAC On Your PC and You will be Protected.
I hope this helps a little,but any information is better than none.
Tight Lines,
Regards Martin.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Re: Anti-Malware and RWFF

Postby badger040 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Martin
Fantastic info
Will be checking mine
It also has been acting oddly
Thanks
Badger040
badger040

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Martin and Everyone:

Thanks for posting some great and useful info re the "overdone PC protection". Several years ago I was also guilty of over-doing this and it resulted in several complete Windows re-installs. There are literally tons of free and paid security software out there and one is always tempted to use them. After all, who would not want a clean and good running PC? My nephew who worked for Microsoft in the US for over 15 years told me he had gone through the same phase, and finally just settled down to one good anti-virus software, and one reputable anti-malmare software that doesn't try to work in the background and monitor everything you do. On the other hand, Microsoft updates, just like everybody else's, can be a little quirky and can cause a number of unforeseen problems. I read a news letter that deals with the reliability and maturity of the new updates and sometimes they recommend "delaying" some of the update as they can cause problem. With the computer environment getting more complicated by the day, patching the patch has become a new phenomena.

Yeah, a new Windows install always run fast and reliably, that is until we add things to screw it up, or slow it down! :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone:

After reading about YAC I did a bit of Googling around the internet and found this article on Malwarebytes' website. Very interesting read if you are thinking about trying out YAC. Obviously there are lots of different opinions and competition out there and this is a very hotly contested market place so take the article for what it is worth. I am not saying whether it is good or bad, true or false, I post this just to give you another view to look at the problem. :P

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-sca ... r-stealer/

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Buddy,
After reading the Report on YAC,I have removed it from my PC and re-installed MalawareBytes Premium.
Thank You for the Information,Now I have a problem with Micrografx,Program Opens but when you ask it to
Open Files,nothing happens,another busy day ahead,it is a FUN LIFE.
Regards Martin.
Scottish Warrior

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Martin:

I gave up trying to get Micrograpfx to work since migrating to Windows7. Instead I use the old version of Paint for Windows 7 with "antialiasing" disabled. The new Windows 7 MSPaint will not work with the drawing of lines in the mapdepth and mapcur bitmaps because it uses "antialiasing" as default and cannot be disabled. Here is a link to get a copy of XP Paint for Windows7 if you want to try it. It works just like the old XP paint but has a better looking interface.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/734 ... rpirbd.zip

Another good alternative to the old Microgragfx is the free "Paint.Net" software. I use this software "A LOT" to work with pictures for RWFF and it is superb! This software can also drawing the lines on the mapdepth and mapcur bitmaps and there is an option to disable "antialiasing". I have tried it and it works. I still prefer the MS Paint for Windows 7 for the drawing of lines as you can save the palette and it is simple to use.You can give both a try and see which one you prefer. :P

Paint.Net website:

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi Buddy,
It seems as though I have more problems than I thought.
Outing Tool Opens but when I come to put an Outing through it tells me it cannot load as the Caught Pictured for the Chinook Salmon are Missing,
it did this with the Atlantic Salmon in another Outing,I put it through on my Laptop with no problems at all,I think My Registry is corrupted
and I will do a complete re-install of Win 7 Pro and start again,I will spend the rest of the day copying everything,even though I made a Backup Copy Yesterday.
See You All in a few Days.
Regards Martin.
Please leave the links available as I will download as soon as I can,Cheers Martin.
Scottish Warrior

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Martin:

Sorry to hear you are still having computer problems. I do have a suggestion for you. Before you do a complete reinstall of Windows maybe you can try this and it may solve your problems while keeping all the files intact. You do need to have your Windows 7 install disk which you obviously have as you will use it to reinstall Windows.

Here is a link on how to do a repair install of your Windows:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/h ... ation.html

Hope this will be of some help to you. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing