A Sea Monster For Martin...Goliath Grouper!!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A Sea Monster For Martin...Goliath Grouper!!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Martin and Everyone:

Martin and I talked about building the Goliath Grouper before. At that time I thought the Goliath Grouper was mainly a deep water fish and didn't feed much on the top strata of ocean waters. Well, after I saw the Shark being eaten by a huge Grouper in a recent video that I posted I must admit I had to change my mind on this. They do feed on top of the water.

My elder son, his wife and my Grandson will be arriving HK tomorrow morning at 6:00 am. So I thought I would build a Goliath Grouper for Martin before they get here. I probably won't have much time to do things for RWFF during the next couple of weeks. I hope Martin will have a great time using this incredible hulk of a fish in one of his big fish outings. The maximum size for this fish? It is HUGE! :lol:

Some pictures of the Goliath Grouper:

Now that I have done my work, you guys will need to figure out how to tie a fly that looks like a struggling shark! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Sea Monster For Martin...Goliath Grouper!!

Postby Cutch » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Beautiful job on that huge fish, Stanley.
To catch this bath tub sized Dude, for a lure I thought I'd catch a monster Redtail Catfish, insert
a water proof battery so it appears to swim slowly, and dangle 2 large hooks from the lower front
and back, and use logging chain for my line and leader. (I"ll have the line hooked to the winch in
front of my Jeep.) :shock: :mrgreen: :lol:
Cutch

Postby rwwalleye » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi Cutch,
Nice rig set up, Do you think it will be strong enough, You might hav to anchor your jeep down to keep the fish from pulling it in the water. (Roger - rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Roger and Cutch:

That was a good one! Cutch. LOL :lol: :lol: To put things into perspective, here is a picture of a BIG Grouper. Possibly a world record.

Actually we have the Giant Grouper in our ocean waters in HK. I had a close encounter with one (never saw it though) many years ago when I went fishing with a local professional fisherman in a 15 foot wooden "sanpan" boat just outside of HK. We were after the local HK groupers (not the giant ones) and we were hand lining with 100 lbs mono, a huge hook and lead sinker and we used big live squids and crabs as bait. Fishing was fairly slow in very choppy water. We caught a few fish in the 5-10 pound range with the squid in he morning. Then I tied on a big live crab, lowered it down to the bottom of a rocky structure and waited. It was kind of funny as I can feel the crab crawling around on the rocky bottom with my fingers. The boat was bouncing up and down quite a bit in the strong wave and current. Then suddenly something grabbed the crab and I pull back instinctively to set the hook. When I did that I was almost pulled over the side of the boat. The thick mono was screaming through the fingers of my hand and I lowered my hand quickly into the water to lubricate it. It seemed the fish never stopped and was towing our little boat around in the middle of the ocean for quite a while. My friend the pro stood up and tried to have a look and shouted "lon dung, lon dung" (the Chinese name for the Giant Grouper.) Soon the fish found some kind of structure under the depths and the run stopped there. We pulled as hard as we could (both guys) and couldn't budge it. At the same time, the ocean waves were getting pretty high as we were taking in water as the boat was stopped against the strong tide. After about 20 minutes we decided to give it up to save our boat and ourselves as we were taking in water fast in the strong current and high wind. Finally we had to cut the line.

As it turned out this giant fish is worth A LOT of money when sold to the local gourmet restaurants and it would be the catch of a life time for a local fisherman. Oh well, my friend was very disappointed and so was I. I would have loved to catch that fish but it was not to be. :oops:

There are a lot fewer big fish in our waters now as there was a lot of commercial trawling done in and around our harbors during the past few years. When you kill off the small fish the big fish just would not come into our waters anymore. I used to own a 32 foot Bertrum fishing boat and went fishing quite often. Nowadays to reach good fishing waters we would have to travel at least 2-3 hours away from Hong Kong. Not worth the time and effort anymore.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing