A New European Sea Bass For You!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A New European Sea Bass For You!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Everyone:

Once in a while one of our outing creating members will do an outing on the ocean front or sea estuaries and will use the Sea Bass as one of the fishes in the outing. I did a couple of them myself in the past. While I really liked one of the caught pictures in the Sea Bass files but the other fish pictures appeared to be quite inconsistent for the species. They seemed to be of different Sea Bass types. So I got curious and started to do a Google search, inputting "Sea Bass". Guess what? Google managed to come up with no less than 26,000.000 threads on the subject in 0.37 seconds! Wow! That is darned good searching speed and they deserve to be the No. 1 search engine on the planet, and might even justify their multi hundreds of dollars in stock prices. :lol:

No, that does not mean there are millions of different Sea Basses. A further search on Wikipedia turned up a very interesting page on the variety of fishes that we call "Sea Bass" in our world. Maybe a couple of dozens or more. There were scientific names, local names, nicknames, etc. So one "Sea Bass" fish file does not fit all.

I used to do quite a bit of ocean fishing with my elder son Jason in and around San Diego's coastal waters and we did catch some Sea Bass there. But these fish do not look like the Sea Bass shown in our fish files. So I decided to make a few Sea Bass based on major geographic areas of the world, rather than by their local names.

I started with a "European Sea Bass" as we have several new European members on our Forum and a couple of them are very interested in creating outings. Here I present to you, the new European Sea Bass. :lol:

Image Image

If you have any suggestions or comments on new, or different types of Sea Bass that you would like to have included in our RWFF fish library please post them here. We are always trying to make our library more comprehensive, and better for our members.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A New European Sea Bass For You!

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:38 am

Yes, the term "Sea Bass" does get thrown around a little too liberally. Even coastal Striped Bass get called "Sea Bass" at times. I call that a lack of education and a penchant humans have to generalize things. One of the funniest things I had heard recently was a guys really lame attempt to try and tell me that there is no such thing as a species called Lake Trout, because any trout in a lake are Lake Trout. :lol: Needless to say, he felt quite dumb when I showed him the real Lake Trout and the differences between all the trout species LMAO.
Now as far as I know, and I MAY be wrong here though, the only true Sea Bass is the European Sea Bass, which Stanley has created above, and looks fantastic. Other bass-like sea dwellers have other names, real names. Such as the aforementioned Striped Bass. Another mistake that is made is people will confuse Grouper with the name "Sea Bass". Why? Because grouper look like bass haha. But, a gag grouper is NOT a bass. A Goliath Grouper (which I would LOVE to see in this game) is not a bass. A Spotted Bay Bass IS a bass species. :)
wyldechylde77

Re: A New European Sea Bass For You!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

Thanks for making a great post and some very relevant comments on the European Sea Bass. Yes, people do tend to generalize a lot. Just be thankful that they don't call everything with fins in the ocean a "Fish". Dolphins, Seals and other related critters are warm blooded animals and they are not fish, at least not by scientific definition!

I thought the European Sea Bass came out looking pretty good, and our members will surely enjoy using this fish in some of their new ocean and brackish water outings. :lol:

A while ago I was thinking about making the Goliath Grouper, but in an effort to make our game more or less realistic for flyfishing, I decided not to make this fish as this giant is a deep ocean dweller and very unlikely to be caught by a flyfisherman using even a lead core line. I don't know about others but in my own fishing experience with a flyrod, even an ocean weighted one, anything deeper than 10-15 feet will be almost impossible to get the fly down to the fish, especially with always present ocean currents. We just can't get our flies down to the depth where these giants live and feed. :oops: Maybe someday Paul will produce another simulator version called "Real World Fishing" and we will be able to catch the Goliath Grouper with some kind of casting rod and weighted bait.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing