Bigmouth Buffalo..Soon To Appear In Minnesota

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Bigmouth Buffalo..Soon To Appear In Minnesota

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi Everyone:

I just finished building the Bigmouth Buffalo fish. This fish is widely distributed in the US and Canada and can grow to immense sizes. Something like 4 feet long and weighing as much as 80 pounds. The Bigmouth looks very similar to a Carp but does not have the whiskers on its mouth. This fish can be found in quiet, slow moving streams and lakes and requires very little oxygen or water quality to survive. Needless to say this fish can provide a very long and sporting fight on on flyrod and should be a lot of fun to catch. Maybe Roger will give you the full details on this fish when he finds a bit of time. :P

Some pictures of the new Bigmouth Buffalo fish:

You will be able to catch this very interesting Bigmouth in Minnesota very soon! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Bigmouth Buffalo..Soon To Appear In Minnesota

Postby wyldechylde77 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Nice job, Stanley! Let me tell you, I'm a grizzled veteran of these guys and their cousins, the Smallmouth Buffalo. Let me tell you, when I say these guys are a battle, they are a BATTLE. There is no quit in these guys minds, and they will fight you until they break free or tire themselves out so much that safe release is difficult at times. Largest I've ever caught myself was something like 44lbs, and I still remember that fight even though it was over 10 years ago. Was using Medium-Heavy tackle, and it STILL took me almost 45 minutes to get him in. When we did, there was no releasing him, for much as we tried, he went belly up each time and we eventually had to dispatch him in an ethical manner. I know what a brute these guys are on conventional tackle, I don't know if I'd personally even try to catch one on a fly rod (RL)!!! Usually can see a few smaller ones mixed in among the Carp and Redhorse suckers as they all have pretty much the same diet. Will look forward to this guy in-game, real life I almost dread them haha
wyldechylde77

Re: Bigmouth Buffalo..Soon To Appear In Minnesota

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

Great account of your personal fishing encounter with the Bigmouth Buffalo. Very interesting read indeed. Personally I have never caught a Bigmouth (fish that is) before and I am glad you did. Just looking at this fish you can see it was built for power and stamina. I can also see that it would put quite a strain on even a short and stout casting or spinning rod. There are a few of these smaller Bigmouths caught on a fly rod in the caught pictures. I am sure even a 25 inch fish would give a good account of itself on a flyrod.

I was going to sneak this fish in as a surprise in the upcoming Minnesota Lakes outing. However, as I have to include the new fish files with the outing so it will not be a surprise anymore. :oops: Anyway I hope everyone will have lots of fun doing battle with this strong fish.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing