Fun Outing Video...Fishing With the Kids

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Fun Outing Video...Fishing With the Kids

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Everyone:

While waiting for the World Cup to play out I started to build a fun little outing called "Fishing With the Kids in Minnesota". It is a eleven scene outing with all the fish that a kid would catch on a typical day while fishing the many beautiful lakes in and around the city of Minneapolis. You will not find any monsters in this fun outing. I am not sure about the rest of the world, but in the USA the kids get introduced to fishing by catching the various kinds of panfish, namely the Sunfishes, the Bluegills, the Crappie, a carp, a bullhead, a yellow perch and if they get really lucky, they might even catch a small Largemouth Bass. One might say these fish are the foundation to many people's lifetime devotion and love for fishing.

As we adults try for world records, the kids are contend just to catch some kind of fish and they have a lot of fun and a sense of achievement while doing it. As a fish builder I provide the different sizes to the fish but very seldom we see the caught pictures for the smaller fish as outing maker all try for the ultimate excitement by putting bigger and bigger fish in our outings. Maybe it is time to go back to our childhood and feel what it is like to catch a fish again? :lol:

I have made and uploaded a video of "Fishing With the Kids in Minnesota and you can view it by clicking on this link:

http://youtu.be/pxL9lo1ixy8

You can enjoy catching these small pan fish using light tackle, I would suggest a 4 wt rod and 5x leader for maximum enjoyment.

I hope you will be able to fish this outing soon. It might even bring back the child fisherman in you. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Fun Outing Video...Fishing With the Kids

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Stanley,

I just watched your new video and it is a triumph as well. This one hits kinda close to home though, in an amazing way. Granted, we all know that panfish are pretty easy for a child's first catch. That catch can turn into a lifelong obsession. But the thing is and I know you will find this funny, but I'm glad you chose not to have any monsters in this outing. You know I am a big proponent on keeping things interesting and challenging yourself, and the way I see it is even adults can have a lot of fun with panfish, small/medium bass and of course carp. It's all about stepping out of the comfort bubble and trying something new. Sure, anybody can whip a large Bluegill out with the standard medium-strength tackle or a 6wt fly rod. Adapting makes things a whole lot more enjoyable. Downsize for your targets. Use Ultra-light tackle, both conventional and fly, this way even that Bull Bluegill will give ya the same fight as a huge bass. We call it "fighting on even grounds" when using light tackle. Sure, we all know that a live 'crawler under a bobber will catch sunfish all day, but why not make it more fun and go with UL tackle, worm, and bobber? Or 2wt and 3wt fly tackle? I think that when people step out of their comfort zones and do the same with kids, every catch is that much more rewarding overall, because then you get the chance to teach the child how to actually fight a fish. The way I see it, we're never too old to learn new things or switch it up! I personally would LOVE this outing, but you all know my present situation. Nonetheless, another great outing by Stanley and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I know I would!

P.S.

If that is the new Black Crappie model in the vid, it looks terrific Stanely!
wyldechylde77

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

I am glad you liked the idea behind this outing. It will be a nice change of pace for our RWFF members after spending so much time fighting the "monsters". I used to do a lot of flyfishing for pan fish in California and Minnesota with tiny hair frogs and poppers that I tied myself and it was a load of fun with the right sized tackle. Remember I told you I had a one piece ultra lite flyrod that I used for small streams and pond fishing? This rod will allow a bluegill or small bass to fight on its own merits. This is something for you to think about. Your next step into flyfishing, probably rod making. LOL I hope this will not take you further away from your new computer though. :lol: :lol:

Yes, that was the new Black Crappie that I used in this outing. You previous comment made me think a little about making a "proper" Black Crappie instead of using the lighter colored one. I can use the Black Crappie in my Florida outing as well. A win win situation for sure.

I recommended the 4x rod and 5x leader because there are a few Jumping Pikes and good size Common Carps in this outing as well. If you used 7x leader these fish will give you the fight of your life. Just don't write me about fish getting stuck on the edge of the screen though.

Good to see you hanging around and we all miss you and your great ideas about outings, fish, etc. Better get back into the game as I have a couple of pairs of male and female fish waiting for you.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Haha, yes I'm still hanging around lol. I never truly left, as I've always been around viewing threads, tryin to keep up with things and you guys, makin sure you're not killin each other :lol: It's tough seeing all this great stuff coming out and not being able to partake or give any feedback. Thought I had a new (well, used) computer nailed down, but that deal kinda fell apart. Story of my life, one step forward two steps back. Oh well.
Rod building is certainly not for me haha. I had looked into rod building a few years back, even looked around on a nice site for it called mudhole.com. Unlike fly tying, it just didn't interest me and still doesn't. I know, I can save a little $$ haha, but that's an area I'd rather let the pros handle, you know? I'll just let St. Croix, Fenwick, Abu Garcia, Duckett, Orvis, etc keep building my rods LOL!
That's actually my next venture is to get a small, UL-type fly setup such as a 2wt or 3wt. I actually have seen a few that I really liked, even saw a really nice 6' 2wt fiberglass rod. Would be perfect for some situations for sure. Of course, I am not going to be chasing 20-30lb fish with it LOL! (By the way, take a look at my new thread in Fishing. I think you'll like that! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5574)
I am really hoping to find a computer soon, even a used laptop would be fine at the moment. I really like the way the new Black Crappie came out. There is no mistaking what it is now and looks great in the water. Job well done. ;)
wyldechylde77

Postby Jyndrek » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:04 am

Hi Stanley , Hi Chuck and Everyone;

Promises to be a very interesting outing . Good :idea:

Fishing on delicate sets naturally is an unforgettable the emotions still when I fished
my fly rod 5wt end leader 0.08mm - 0.05 (~0.0030-0.0020inch) and hook 22-18 flies , giving a lot of fun when tow the of even small of fish :lol: , although he long time since I I was a child

Thus I am waiting impatiently for to remember again there, but now the original computer screen :P Because video on You Tube wonderful - Thank you Stanley .

Regards GENTLEMEN ;

Andrzej(Jyndrek)
Jyndrek

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Jyndrek, Chuck and Everyone:

I am working on finishing up this outing and it should be uploaded very shortly. I hope you will all go back to your childhood and enjoy fishing the pan fish with ultra light tackle. You all know what it was like to land a 24 inch Brown Trout in the Nelson outing with a light rod and slim leader so you will have a great time landing the Largemouth Bass and the Jumping Pike. :lol:

For those of you who have children you might give them a chance to try this outing as it was made with them in mind...for the minor child and the BIG kid in you guys.

I will let you guys know when it is up and ready for download.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

Houston control here. I hear you have a problem. Follow these instructions and we will get you home safe and in time for dinner with your loved ones. :lol:

Seriously, I am glad you got your hands on a computer again and your are BACK! Now let's see if we can get you going on the "A Day Fishing With the Kids" outing.

OK, first V.133 is the stable version and recommended for the general user, however, since you are a developer of outings I would recommend you upgrade to V.140 with all the latest patches. When you have V.140 you can use many of the new settings that Paul gave us when you create outings. Some of those setting are pretty cool as you will see in the forthcoming "A Day Fishing With the Big Boys." :lol:

Since you are starting to set up your RWFF in your new computer, there are tons of files that you will need to download all over again. It is easy to miss some of them. My guess would be you are missing the Emerald Shiner which is a new food item. For your convenience and others I have packaged up the food files for "A Day Fishing With the Kids" to save you some trouble shooting. You can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvtcguygm4odj ... outing.zip

If you are still having problems, start the RWFF software (V.133 OR later version) and let it do the file verification automatically. This function is triggered when the software detects a problem in your files. Then you go to the "content_errors.txt" in the main folder and you will see what is missing from your install that prevents your outing from working.

This is how I test my own outings for faults and mistakes before I publish them on the Development Forum. To make sure that my uploaded version of the outing is OK. I downloaded it via the RWFF Development Forum link, and put the outing file into my outing folder. This way I will have the same version that everybody is downloading on the Forum. If it opens up just fine, then the outing is OK. I think downloading and installing the "food" files will solve your problems for you. If not, if Houston a yell again! :lol:

Have a good time catching all the beautiful pan fish and Bass. Would like to hear your comments on this one.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing