Final contest for the Fall Season 2007 Cup

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Final contest for the Fall Season 2007 Cup

Postby oppimax » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:12 am

Hi @all,

after the stop for holidays here we are: another contest! :lol:

This is the last contest to assign the Fall Season 2007 Cup! :!: :!:

At the Clubhouse you'll find the rules (have a look also at General rules) and ask for any doubt.

I only say the last 4 outings on scene! :D

Only use rel. 118 because any other version will create decoder-errors and are invalid.

Tigth lines! :D
Massimo
oppimax

Postby oppimax » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi @all, :D

due to the problem landing big fishes I decided to remove Deschutes from the running contest. :wink:

The substitute is Burns River. 8)

Sorry for problem (I didn't think about it!) :oops:

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Deschutes

Postby wuppereumel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Massimo :shock: ,

what problem with big fishes ? I landed today this 2 Steelheads for the contest:

Fish: 35.80 inch Steelhead from rwffa108_Deschutes; Code: XAUJELDQROIHLASMASVTWZLJHYCXTLZROOUSYONBBD

Fish: 37.05 inch Steelhead from rwffa108_Deschutes; Code: VNXQTNYMZWIXASHDAAGUKQOWPELNFOFBWZORNHIRJG

Both with 1X leader. Ok it takes about 10 minutes to land them and they took nearly all my backline first but you see - it's possible !

It's a pity :cry: . But now let's see what secrets river Burns has :lol: .

Regards and tight lines to all
Guenter
wuppereumel

Postby richwest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Massimo,

Talked to you this evening and showed you some of my catches earlier today.

So i do not have any landingproblems with the bigones on deschutes to, like Guenther.
It takes a while but with some souplesse you will get there!

Fish: 34.86 inch Steelhead from rwffa108_Deschutes; Code: XONCJTIRACLUZNBHENCWPLXEQLWTVAZVXLOMNOMCMD

on 2x leader

Regards Richard
richwest

DESCHUTES

Postby thefisher1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:33 am

I had some problems catching salmon in the deschutes river. With 4lb leader everytime I hooked into a fish in the 2nd outing in challenge mode the fish took me straight out to the bank and keept pulling line. I couldn't do a thing with it, finally I had to break off.

I don't remember this but when anyone esle catches a fish does it say in lb's 23.67in or 10.56in. I remember it saing just the rounded off number.
Maybe It's just my setting.

Tight lines,

Thefisher1
thefisher1

Postby oppimax » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 am

Hi all, :D

I only received 4 scores: :?
- wuppereumel
- Taupo-tiger
- The Fisher1
- Boston Bob

May be problems sending PM; I'll wait another day for who forgot or had problems. :wink:

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Contest posting

Postby Bobcat John » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:12 pm

Oppimax
I didn't fish this contest because of the fish fighting problems. As others have said I know that if you use heavy leaders you can land the bigger fish. But it is unrealistic and I don't even use that heavy of tackle in my real life fishing I'm going to stay out of the contest until Paul has a chance to but a fix in place for the fighting problem. I tried the challenge outings on the contest waters and after 5 times of trying and starting over I went to very heavy leaders and finally able to comnplete a outing but it was no fun and took to long. I hope that we get a fix soon because the game is not as much fun as it was before. I will join the contest again when we have a stable platform for the contest again. Let me know who won the contest so I can send of the prize.
I've spent the most important time of my life fishing. What was left over I wasted.

Bobcat John

Bobcat John

Postby richwest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:58 pm

I started the contest but did not complete it, so entry for me too.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby taupo_tiger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:03 pm

hello,

i really do not want to offend someone, but i am FED UP WITH THESE:
I CANNOT......
I LOSE FISH
JUMPING STEADILY
RUNNING STEADILY
DO NOT HAVE TIME TO FIGHT FSH 20 MINUTES.....
BUSH IS PRESIDENT.....
I DID NOT WIN THE LOTTERY

in real life - trophy fish always jump into your fish bag do they?

please forgive me, but this was the thing i wanted to say

all the best,
taupo tiger
:)
taupo_tiger

Postby taupo_tiger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:09 pm

furthermore i suggest to extend the fishing time for this contest to next sunday, since sac wasn´t open before thursday - and maybe this was the point
taupo_tiger

Postby nccorthu » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:31 pm

I also did not join this contest because of the running problems. I think Paul ought to back off the settings for big fish a little , only a little. But not go back to the 40" fish on 8X leaders.

The time to land a fish of course is dependent on all the factors and should be so and probably will solve itself once the balance is achieved again.
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Postby richwest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:07 pm

Taupo Tiger,

I wasn't looking for an excuse, for not entering the contest.(hehehe)

But I am very busy these days in creating new species and
making new update for the flycatalogue.

So, I hope you accept my appologies :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Richard

PS. I didn't have problems on reeling in big ones, 30+ on 3x leader.
richwest

Postby dcarp » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Massimo and Friends,

Sorry that I wasn't able to participate in this contest. Beginning last Sunday ( 01/06/08 ) I had one of our Internet Backhaul radios fail, which took 100+ of my company's customers offline. On Tuesday, I had an antenna fail at another site, putting an additional 50+ customers out of service. For the past week I have been climbing icy radio towers, replacing radios and antennas atop 50-100 ft towers, reconfiguring radios, modems and routers to get my customers back in service. After spending 16 hour days in rain, snow, and ice, I did not feel much like fishing, I just wanted to eat, warm up and sleep!

For those of you who sent me species high scores this past week, I apologize for not getting them posted. I hope to get caught up here in my office soon and can get to those scores by mid-week.

Folks - we need to back up a bit and give everyone some slack here. Massimo is doing his best to put on challenging contests. We're not all going to be 100% happy with every choice. Some of us prefer a nice easy contest where we catch 10 fish in 10 minutes and we're done. Others in the group prefer a little more of a challenge. We may have to spend 30 minutes landing a big fish.

There's a little stretch of river about 100 yds from my house. In mid-winter, if water and weather conditions are right, some nice steelhead hang out there. Over the next couple weeks, I plan to go throw a few flies at them. I may or may not have any sucess, but one thing is for sure - there will be 10-15lb leader attached to those flies when they hit the water. And if I'm lucky enough to get a strike, I bet you that I won't have a fish at my feet for at least 5 minutes, and it will likely make a couple runs after that before I have it in my hands.

Sure, there is some tweaking that needs to be done on the landing of big fish, but I have to agree with the side that wants the game to be realistic. It's not realistic to land a 42" fish on 8x leader, then again, it shouldn't be impossible to land a 42" fish with 2x and above. Let's show some patience here and give Paul some time to fix it. Afterall, the original program wasn't built with the MONSTER fish that we've put in place in the last month or so.

Just a few things to keep in mind here. First - the Clubhouse, Contests, Prizes, High Scores, etc. are maintianed and posted by volunteers - all of whom have day jobs. The time devoted to the RWFF community is for the fun and enjoyment of everyone. Second, let's all remember that this program that we all love and enjoy was developed and is maintained by one guy - Paul. He does not have 800 programers working 40 hours a week taking care of all our complaints and wishes. He does one hell of a great job for a one-man show!

So let's all just step back for a minute, take a deep breath and show some patience. There are a lot of personal choices we can make here. We can choose to participate, or not, in the contests. We can choose to download, or not, new outings and species. We can choose to volunteer our time to the RWFF community, or we can choose to spend that time with family and friends or just go fishing.

I'll get off my soapbox now and wish you all tight lines.

Dcarp (Dave)
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:41 pm

hello you all,

i guess i have to answer with my personal opinion which is a little bit different to some other ones

nobody is forced to take part in these contests, and if someone has not the time to join - he does not join - that will not be a problem

from the very beginning of these contests i always declared that i wanted to compete with as many people as possible - just to have great fun

i have more fun being 23rd of 80 competitors than being first of five - please believe me that!

this was the reason some hardware prizes were played out - to gain more people to participate

but in the last ten contests there was always at least ONE (everytimes a different one) who discussed the rules of the contest

for me - the rules were - THE RULES - does not matter if they were stupid (did never happen) or much too easy - just because someone did the voluntary work to set up such a contest

the point on which my opinion differs is:

i also took part in contests i hated ( i hate bass fishing in mississippi)
because i thought it would not be ok to to win a contest and do not take part in the next one just because i knew others would be better

thus i played one round and posted it

exactly the same i did on this contest

i (personally) do not like highlands - i played one round and posted the score as it was

the contrary - i LOVE the sac - i played it more than 20 times

oppimax organized this contest - and had 5 results - and i think this is not motivating for a voluntary contest organisator

so i ask you all - pleeeeeaaaaaaease take part even if this is not your favorite - next time the rules will be yours again

all the best,
martin

taupo_tiger

Return to Real World Fly Fishing