Rio Panara, Sorubim Catchfish and Pira Pitas

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Rio Panara, Sorubim Catchfish and Pira Pitas

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi Everyone:

As some of you may know I used to live in Uruguay and Argentina during my childhood. I had very fond memories of the Rio de la Plata ( The River of Silver) that runs between Uruguay and Argentina. Sometime ago I decided to do an outing based on the Rio Panara which is a tributary that runs into the Rio de la Plata. According to some flyfishing reports the Panara is a great fishery for the amazing Golden Dorado and other S. America species. I have been working on this little outing for quite a while now. Making sure the scenery is great and the fish unique and interesting. Tonight I built a fish that many of your may not have heard of....the Pira Pita. The natives of the Panara calls this the Salmon of the River and it has many of the Salmon's characteristics. It is a great fish on a light flyrod and can be taken with a dry fly, along with the Golden Dorado, Pacu the nut cruncher and the like. Here are some pictures of the Pira Pita and the Barred Sorubim Catfish which are found in these waters. I will take my time with this outing and make sure this will be a great S. American flyfishing experience for our members on RWFF. I hope you will enjoy the beautiful scenery and the great fishing. :lol:

Some pictures of the new fish in the S. American outing.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Rio Panara, Sorubim Catchfish and Pira Pitas

Postby rwwalleye » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi Stanley,
Looks like that will turn out to be another excellent outing. Your 2 new fish will be another excellent addition to the species list. I was going to list the barred Sorubim Catfish as one on my list of, DO WE HAVE THIS ONE, but you beat me to it. I'll do a write-up on both fish for you as an introduction, if you don't mind. Been a little slow on fishing, had a major problem where my well sprung a leak. Had to break out a 2x2x2 foot slab of concrete to get down to where my waterline comes out of the major pipe for the well. Ended up the u-bolt rusted and broke. Had a hard time finding a new u-bolt and ended up making our own. So hopefully tonight or tomorrow will fish another outing and post plus the info on your 2 new fish. By the way your new Siamese Carp in one of Martin's new Thailand outing worked out great. Excellent fighters and definitely huge as you could see in my post. Hope your weekend went well and your video from the rainstorm you had recently was excellent. Will look forward to the release of this outing. Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Re: Rio Panara, Sorubim Catchfish and Pira Pitas

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi Roger:

Yes, it would be great if you can do the info on the Sorubim and Pira Pita. You are the pro at it! :P I have another fish for you to include in your research. It is called "Sabalo" by the natives of S. America and this fish is a very significant fish both in the ecosystem as well as food for the people there. (Sort of like the Carp in Asia) They are plentiful and prized by both the predatory fish, the waterfowls and humans. Here are some pictures of the Sabalo.

Have fun with this one and THANKS! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing