Arowana Sizes Information

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Arowana Sizes Information

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:50 am

Hi All,
I have been having a chat by e-mail with Stanley,as I was a little confused as to why the Maximum Size of his New Jumping Arowana
was only 36", when we have an Arowana in the Clubhouse which is 100" but set at 80"for the Game.
Stanley informed me that he had used The South East Asian Version of this Specie which can also be found in Australia and South America.
If we are ALL fine with having both Fish set at their Recorded Maximum Lengths of 36" and 80" Respectively then this should not affect
any Outings already posted with the Arowana at 80",I just wanted to alleviate any Questions or Confusion any member would have over Sizes.
My only concern is that the Caught Pictures in the Original Arowana show No Monsters,but maybe I am just being too Picky.
Regards Martin.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Re: Arowana Sizes Information

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 am

Hi All:

As you all know Martin is ultra meticulous about everything that he does and he wrote me an email and asked me about the correct sizes for the Arowana fish. I did a little research and this is what I have come up with. It seems there are basically two types of Arowanas they have a slightly different shape to them. The Asian one has very distinctively formed dorsal and anal fins while the "Silver Arowana" found in the Amazons have a more continuously formed dorsal and anal fin than those found in S.E. Asian Countries. Please take a close look at this picture and you will see what I mean. I think the size shown in the Club House were meant for the "Arapaima gigas", which also belongs to the Arowana family. The usual maximum size for the Arowana was listed at 36 inches according to Fishbase and Wikipedia.

I hope this will help to explain the Arowana size situation for all of us. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing