A Mystery Fish For You... and the process of building one!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A Mystery Fish For You... and the process of building one!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi Everyone:

What does one do in the heat of the Summer and during a "post drought" on RWFF Forum in August? For me at least, it is a great time to learn something new and to sharpen up the skills in using the various graphics software tools available. Here is a great and FREE image editing software for you, the outing builders and fish makers. It is called "Photoscape" and it is a great piece of software and the price is right...free! This software has many of the features that other paid softwares have. You will have a lot of fun playing around with this one!

You can download the software via this link:

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Here is a "Mystery Fish" for you. Do you know what it is and where it lives? Please post your guesses and answers on this Forum. :P

The above pictures looked pretty nice but it is actually the third version that I have built during the last two days. For those interested in fish building there is a great read me by Paul, and an excellent step-by step set of instruction by Richard in the Club House. I thought about building a video tutorial but the video will be too long to post on YouTube. So briefly this is what I started out with and what I ended up with.

First you need to find a good profile picture of the fish that you want to build. I started out with this one:

It is pretty nice picture but there are some problems with the lighting as you will see later. After going through the process building and animating the fish using the RWFF fish building tool. I ended up with the GIF and the pictures below. The pictures looked pretty decent but I was not happy with the rotation of the fish in the GIF file. You notice that there are some severe dark spots on the fish's head? This will show up in the outing when it jumps out of the water and during the landing. The darkened spots didn't look good and we can't have that, right? There is no way to correct this within the fishing building tool and I had to go back and work with the "profile" picture that I started out with.

Image Notice the darken area on the head, it doesn't look too good!

When you compared the above and below GIF pictures you will see what I mean. In the old days before the jumping fish series it really didn't matter what the fish looked like as long as they are of the approximate shape and color as the RWFF fisherman will seldom see their catches until the fish are near their feet and the caught pictures came up. Now that you are able to see the fish more clearly when it jumps there is a need to make the fish to look as good and as realistic as possible. Yes, it is a lot more work but I think the results are well worth it. :P

I had a lot of fun building and improving on the appearance of this fish during the last couple of days. Hopefully this fish will soon appear in a theater near you. "Sure is pretty", as they would say out in the West! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Mystery Fish For You... and the process of building one!

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 pm

No takers huh? Well, then I won't let Stanley's work go for naught and tell you that it is an Ocean Whitefish ;)
wyldechylde77

Postby rwwalleye » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm

OCEAN WHITEFISH
Ocean whitefish, Caulolatilus princeps, belongs to the tilefish family,
Malacanthidae, and is the only representative of this family found off California except
for rare occurrences of Pacific golden-eyed tilefish, C. affinis. It is primarily a southern
California species, frequently found in association with members of the rockfish family,
Scorpaenidae, and California sheephead. Common names for ocean whitefish include
blanquillo and pez blanco.
Ocean whitefish are found in loosely aggregated schools near high-relief seafloor
structures such as shallow banks, rocky reefs, and kelp beds. They prefer offshore
islands to the mainland coast and are abundant at Santa Rosa, Santa Barbara, Santa
Catalina, and San Clemente Islands. Otoliths (earbones) of ocean whitefish found in
kitchen middens at San Clemente Island indicate that this fish was an important food
source for Native Americans.

Found in 5 classifications
See all 5 approved classifications in which this taxon appears.
Genus recognized by World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS):
Animalia +
Chordata +
Actinopterygii +
Perciformes +
Malacanthidae +
Caulolatilus
Caulolatilus affinis Gill, 1865
Caulolatilus bermudensis Dooley, 1981
Caulolatilus chrysops (Valenciennes, 1833)
Caulolatilus cyanops Poey, 1866
Caulolatilus dooleyi Berry, 1978
Caulolatilus guppyi Beebe & Tee-Van, 1937
Caulolatilus hubbsi Dooley, 1978
Caulolatilus intermedius Howell Rivero, 1936
Caulolatilus microps Goode and Bean, 1878
Caulolatilus princeps (Jenyns, 1840)
Caulolatilus williamsi Dooley & Berry, 1977
Branchiostegus +
Hoplolatilus +
Lopholatilus +
Malacanthus +
Opisthhognathus +
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Everyone:

Aaaahhh! You just can't beat Chuck for knowing his fish, fresh or salt water. Should have become a fish biologist with your extensive knowledge of everything that has fins. Maybe apply for a job as a Park Ranger or Game Warden in one of the Rocky Mountain States like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho? Chuck, you are right on and you got more points toward the year end grand prize. Roger, thanks for some excellent research and reporting. We all learn something new every time someone identifies a "Mystery Fish"! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing