Paul's New Fish Cruising Fix....A 40 minute test!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Paul's New Fish Cruising Fix....A 40 minute test!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Everyone:

Tonight I saw Paul's post on the fish cruising fix and decided to give it a try. The test lasted 40 minutes and you can see that the fix really did work. This is what I did.

The patch was installed per Paul's instructions. My version of RWFF is V.139. The parameter of "KEEP CRUISING FISH CLOSE=TRUE" was inserted into the main outing.def file in the Minnesota outing folder. Paul said the parameter can also be put into the site.def file (per scene) but I did not do that for this test.

Outing used: An unpublished Fishing Minnesota Lake, July outing done in V.133 with six frames animation. The scene used in this test would represent the average recommended RWFF fishing scene which consist of 1/3 land and 2/3 water. Sometimes I found an extremely low horizon line (e.g. 2/3 land and 1/3 water) would not show all the fish used in the outing and the initial fish count will be less. :P

Fish cruise settings: All fish were set to cruise at cruising speed of 2 and 3, depending on the nature of the fish. The sunfish and crappies will be more active than the bigger fish, etc. The lake bottom is contoured (as versus a flat bottom) and the fish were set up to prefer depths of 2 to 4 feet. The current speed is fairly slow, typical that of a lake fishing situation.

Timing intervals: I started the outing and counted the fish in the scene. The starting scene showed 14 fish of various kinds. A frame was taken at 10 minute intervals after the start scene.

Fish Count:

Starting Scene: 14 fish
10 minutes later: 12 fish
20 minutes later: 11 fish
30 minutes later: 11 fish
40 minutes later: 11 fish

Note: the count might be slightly off as it was very difficult to see the smaller fish far from the bottom if they stay "dormant". All you would see is a little white spot on top of the water.

As you can see "most" of the fish remained in the scene even after 40 minutes of continuous running of the same scene. While this test may not be the ultimate scientific test of the patch, I think it worked pretty well. Others might come up with different results when they run their own tests. Here are some pictures of the test from start to 40 minutes later.

A GIF of the cruising fishing:

Like I said before this is not the ultimate scientific test of the patch. I will be interested to see what results other outing makers will come up with.

Paul, thanks a bunch for this great update. I hope this test will help the other outing makers. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Paul's New Fish Cruising Fix....A 40 minute test!

Postby wyldechylde77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Very good! Glad you went that route, Paul. This will definitely help with outings and time spent fishing them!
wyldechylde77

Return to Real World Fly Fishing